My father is one of the handiest men around. He's always been able to fix everything and build anything my mother put on his "Honey Do" list. I swear that man could probably get us off a desserted island with nothing more than some tongue depressors, duct tape, and motor oil; he's quite the probelm solver. So when I met Randy, I was very pleased to discover that he is a rather good "Mr. Fix It" himself. Throughout our marriage he has installed French doors, recessed lighting, new sinks, garage door openers, ceiling fans, microwaves, and even "tore up perfectly good carpet" (his words) to install laminate flooring for me. All done with only a few grumbles along the way.
He has certainly outdone himself this time with the completion of Artem's dresser. About eight years ago his parents gave us their old dresser from the late 70's or early 80's. Cosmetically, it wasn't much to speak of, but structurally it was very sound, not a bit of MDF wood on it, just solid wood construction, which is a rare find these days. A couple years ago, Randy stripped the dresser and rebuilt it. I say rebuilt because he literally took the facing off, top off, doors off, and made a shelf area into two drawers and a cabinet. He never finished it with stain because we didn't know at the time what kind/color of crib we would eventually get. He really put a lot of hours into the project. It sat for a few years while we tried to have a baby through several unsuccessful rounds of infertility treatments but we finally got to bring it out of retirement this week after we bought Artem's crib. Randy was able to stain it and put the hardware on it and it matches the crib perfectly; both in style and color. He did a great job on it and I'm confident Artem will be able to use it for years to come. Home Depot has paint on sale this weekend so I am going today to buy paint for the room and get it all put together. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures of the nursery up within a few days, but in the meantime, here are some photos of Randy's handywork.
Okay, apparently not only is Blogger's spell check not working, it won't let me upload any pictures. Go to our picture trail account to see the pictures. http://www.picturetrail.com/pilotswife and click on the "Our House" folder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hello - just wanted to say thank you for being so honest and open in your blogs. My friend is adopting from Russia, and it has taken me some time to get my head around it. Reading your blog has really help me understand all the emotions that you have been through, and what my friend will be going through soon. Just wanted to comment and say thanks. Oh, and that I hope you get Artem back home soon and give him lots more cuddles!
That's a great looking dresser!
By the way, Dede & I have had great luck with the Ralph Lauren paints at Home Depot. They run a little bit more, but cover very evenly and with only 1 or two coats normally.
Very impressive! The dresser looks fantastic. Have fun getting the rest of the nursery together as you wait to hear about the court date!
Susan, That dresser looks fantastic! Chris is very handy as well, but I don't think he would have the patience to do all that work. Tell your husband he did a great job!! It looks awesome with that crib!
Beautiful dresser. Your home looks gorgeous. Artem is a very lucky little man.
The dresser looks AWESOME! You are very lucky to have such a talented husband!
Wow! what a handy guy you have! And the nursery is looking lovely :D
It is fun to decorate your child's room, isn't it? I am glad that Randy was able to finish the dresser as it will hold more sentimental value then any other item you could possibly buy.
I hope you hear news of a court date soon!! Any ideas when you might return to Moscow?
Post a Comment