Today was a difficult day emotionally. We drove out to the baby home to see Artem and along the way it started snowing which oddly enough does not slow up the crazy Moscow rush hour one bit. I’ll have to comment in another post later on Moscow driving which we’ve summed up as organized chaos; it’s not for the faint of heart. They took awhile to bring Artem in today and he was dressed in another “fashionable” baby home outfit. Pink tights, yellow shorts, yellow shirt with bright primary colored animals on the front, topped off with teal blue girl’s sandals but the icing on the cake was the green medicine they put on his lips. They said they were chapped and they coated them with green medicine which made it look like he had been eating a marker. It’s a good thing we didn’t get his passport photo today with his green lipstick on.
Right away when his caregiver passed him to us he started crying. We had hoped that he would warm up quicker to us by the third day. He cried for awhile and while he cried he violently rocked himself back and forth from front to back. I quickly wrapped my arms tightly around him and rocked him myself but side to side. That calmed him down and he just let out a few more whimpers. He didn’t want any of his books and he really wasn’t interested in the toys we brought him. As I held him I could feel and hear his little chest crackling and I could hear him wheezing. His nose was running and his little head was burning hot. We knew he didn’t feel good which was probably one of the reasons he cried so much today. He’s also cutting a back tooth so I’m sure that didn’t help things. We came armed with the Gerber puff snacks and thought it would be a good way for Randy to bond with Artem. He fed Artem the snacks but he didn’t know what to do with them. He tried to play with the food and held it in one hand and took his other hand and scratched the food for the texture. Randy put the food in Artem’s mouth and he started chewing it with his front teeth. It was like he didn’t know how to chew with his back teeth. We learned that Artem’s diet is limited to soup with beef bouillon and porridge which made us realize that he probably has no experience with solid foods. Anyway, he did accept the food from Randy and let Randy put the food in his mouth but when Randy tried to hold him he just cried and cried again. I could tell Randy was disappointed and he made a comment that he guesses he’s just the camera man and bag boy. I know he was hoping to hold Artem today without him screaming but it didn’t happen. As soon as I took Artem back and sat him on my leg he started doing the rocking again. I understand that it is just him self soothing and is typical for children from orphanages but it breaks my heart to see him do it. I wrapped my arms around him again and rocked him the other direction and whispered in his ear and kissed his temples and gently rubbed his head. He calmed down again and let out a big sigh and kind of melted into my arms.
After our half hour was up, the caregiver came in and said it was time for lunch and then his naptime. We packed up our stuff and left. I started tearing up as we were leaving. It made my heart hurt that I couldn’t have Artem with me and take him to the doctor to get some medicine for the chest congestion and give him something to bring the fever down and rock him in my arms until he fell asleep. That is what Artem needed, not green lip medicine and soup with bouillon cube. I know the caregivers do the best they can and all I can do is pray that God will keep angels around Artem until we can get him home with us and love him like he deserves to be loved.
Tomorrow we go to court to file some documents and then we will visit Artem for the last time on this trip. We are going after lunch and his nap so we are hoping he will be in better spirits. I really want Randy to be able to have one chance to hold him without him crying. The baby home director told us that she would show us where Artem sleeps, plays, and “his chair”. We are guessing that is where he eats. We are taking pictures of everything and filming as much as we can so when he is older he has the pictures and video of where his life began.
We did have a chance to go to the Moscow Harley Davidson shop and bought Artem his first Harley sweat shirt complete with flames up the arms. I’m working on fixing that wardrobe crisis he seems to be stuck in. We also went to Old Arbat street, which is a tourist spot, and bought all our souvenirs. We bought some Russian Christmas ornaments for Artem’s tree and we bought two books of Russian fairy tales. We got to talking to one of the ladies at the shop about the adoption and when we were leaving she said she had something for Artem and handed us the traditional nesting dolls (I’m forgetting the name right now) and we had her write Artem’s name in Russian on the bottom. She also told us this is the year of the baby in Russia. It was very sweet. On the way back to our apartment we stopped at Sbarro’s pizza for a taste of home. Tomorrow morning before court our driver/translator is taking us to the Kremlin and the Red Square for some sight seeing. We are so busy all day long it doesn’t leave any time for sight seeing. Let’s hope tomorrow’s visit includes some hugs for daddy so Randy can get a little time in with Artem before we go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
OH, I'm sending sweet thoughts your way and to Randy too! I do hope the little man lets him hold him tomorrow. If not, he'll have a lifetime to do so!
I can only imagine how hard it is to leave him, especially when he's sick. Poor little guy.
I hope you get some sightseeing in to help brighten your day/night!
Jane
So sorry to hear you had a difficult day. Even though you couldn't give him any medicine today for his illness, you were able to give him love and comfort, and he really needed that. We will keep all three of you in our prayers.
Oh, Susan - that almost broke my heart all the way here in Texas. Your little boy sounds so sweet and just needs his mommy and daddy to take care of him - I hope the process moves quickly for all of you.
It is so hard for the Daddys. I have a bio son that is 21 months old - and he wants nothing to do with his Daddy (who he has been with since day 1 of his life!) most of the time! Babies just drift towards their Mommys, I think. I will tell you that the tide changes as they get older - Mommys are for comfort when they get hurt or are hungry and Daddys are the "fun" one that they wait with bated breath to come home from work - so I guess it all evens out eventually.
Thinking of all three of you!
SusanW from SN
Bless all 3 of your hearts. I remember the green stuff. Iliya never had any on his lips, but he had it all over his head. And it does look like green marker!!
You are bringing back such vivid memories for me. I'm not sure if our experiences are exactly the same, but they are so similar - to my mind - that my heart breaks for each of you. Poor little guy, feeling bad (Iliya also had the congestion & sickness). And I feel for Randy...just like I did for Nathan. I remember him feeling like the camera guy (though I think I had more of a hangup about it, than he did...I kept apologizing - while Iliya was in my lap - that Nathan wasn't getting any of the experience).
Make sure you let Randy know that soon, Artem will be meeting him at the door with a huge smile on his face and the words "DADA!!!!!!" on his lips. He may not be able to see it on this trip...but in time, they'll be buddies, occasionally driving you nuts!! (in a good way, of course!)
Anyway, I won't hijack your comments section, but just know that we're all thinking about you!! Much love & many hugs!!
Hang in there Susan..... I remember the green medicine, the congestion and wheezing and ugh the self soothing. I promise you it all goes away! You guys are awesome!
Oh, Susan...my heart goes out to all 3 of you. I had tears in my eyes when I read Randy's statement about being the camera man. I hope tomorrow is better for all of you and that little Artem is feeling a little better. You're all in our thoughts & prayers. Sending many hugs to you tonight!
Susan,
Owen had green dots on his head and was so congested on both our trips. Poor baby, I could just tell how terribly he felt, and it made me so sad for him. I'm sorry you had to see Artem with green lips and not feeling well. It makes it harder to leave, doesn't it?
Owen rocked and sucked his thumb when he was upset and trying to go to sleep. He hit his head against the side of the crib too to try to make himself go to sleep. It broke my heart! Once he was in our care, each time he did it, we'd immediately hold him and rock him ourselves saying "shhhh, it's okay," and he stopped doing it by the time we got home from Moscow! He also scratched and rubbed all new textures for a while and had no idea how to chew foods either! It didn't take too long once he came home for him to learn though :)
I hope Randy gets to hold him without him crying too before you go. Jim joked with me when we came home that I was in all the videos holding Owen, and he only got to hold him a little, and said he felt like he was just there to be the "pack mule." I didn't even realize he didn't get to hold him at all one of the days we were there. Good for you for being sensitive to Randy's feelings too! :) Owen definitely adores his Daddy now!!
My heart aches with you as you prepare to leave Artem for the last time. Keep in mind as you leave that he is your son and you will be preparing to take him home with you the next time you see him. I pray your wait between trips is very short so you can have this sweet little baby boy home very soon!!
Sorry to hear about the difficulties you faced today. It was also hard for Brady to allow Ryan to hold him - in recent days he won't come to me, just Daddy - so know that this will change in time. You are in our prayers.
I remember Liam having that congested rattle in his chest when we visited him on Trip 1. Broke our hearts that we couldn't be the ones to help him get well.
Hang tough, Randy! He'll warm up to ya. Especially once you get that cool Harley shirt on 'em.
Hey Susan, your posts are bringing me to tears. I am praying that your checkup's go well tomorrow so you can bring your sweet baby boy home with you soon.
Mia (yep_theyre_twins) from SN
Post a Comment