Friday, February 29, 2008

S is for...

* Snowsuits!!
For some reason, a snowsuit is a must when leaving the baby home in the winter months. I'm not sure why a good coat won't keep the baby warm enough, but I'm not going to argue with the caregivers and we will comply by outfitting Artem in a snowsuit when we are in Russia for trip 3. My friend Tiffany sent me her son Jack's snowsuit to borrow. Yes! One less thing on the long, long list of things to buy for bringing Artem home. He's going to be styling in the Baby Gap snowsuit with NO pink tights underneath.


*Slings!!
I wanted a sling to initially carry Artem in rather than a stroller so we can get some great bonding in and help with attachment issues. We bought a cheap umbrella stroller to take with us to Russia for trip 3 but I plan on using the sling as much as I can. With Adrienne's help, I decided on the right size mei tai sling to buy. She used one with Owen for the first couple months after he came home from Russia. I had asked my online parenting site buddies what kind of sling to get and the overwhelming response was the mei tai. I found this one on Ebay, which are handmade by a woman in New Jersey. I got the funky fabric for me and it reverses to solid black on the backside if Randy wants to use it to carry Artem in. Thank goodness there are step-by-step directions for using this. I'm going to try it out with the neighbor's daughter (who is 15 days younger than Artem) before we leave for trip 3.


*Surprises!!
The UPS man came by today and left a large box on the doorstep. When I opened it up, it was filled with wrapped goodies. There was no name on the box to say who it was from but I'm guessing it is from Melissa McKenna?? I'm pretty sure it's a fellow pilot's wife that would send me all the aviator stuff for a gift. ;-) She loaded the box with helicopter and airplane toys, airplane bath towels, a helicopter blanket that matches Artem's bedding, a Wiggles music book, bibs, a hippo to test the bath water temperature, lavender scented snuggly toys, and plastic table covers for this OCD mom to use when we go out to eat.


Melissa is also the one responsible for this adorable diaper/blanket/bib cake she made for us. I had no idea she was hiding this kind of talent. I told her she will now be doing all my wreaths in the future.



13 comments:

Tiger & Kar said...

This post made me smile! I love the surprise package you received today, and I've been considering a sling as well. Once we meet Baby C in a few weeks, I'll know better if a sling will work for him/her or not. I don't know much about slings (who makes them, etc.) so I really appreciate the info you shared with us!

Oh, and thank you so much for calling me back last night. Our conversation really, really put my mind at ease about our upcoming trip. Thank you so much!

Melissa said...

Yes ma'am that was from me. I was just gonna email you and tell you but I checked here first! I hope you love everything. I sure loved shopping for it. lol We will be home soon and we need to catch up!

Melissa said...

I also wanted to add that you can take that diaper cake apart and use all the stuff! I am sure you knew that though. I used size 4 diapers to make it so they should fit, and they are even pampers.

~melissa

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

How adorable! That cake is so cute!

I'm glad you like your mei tai. Definitely practice tying before you put Artem in it if you can! One tip when carrying on the front...when you are putting him in it and trying to cross the shoulder straps across your back and under his legs to tie in front of you, take the left strap with your right hand over your head and cross it across your back and then tuck it under his leg (on your right side) before doing the other strap the same way. Then they are both available on your sides so you can tie them in the front, first in a knot and then in a bow or knot.

I can tell you are getting excited! I am excited FOR you! :)

Tiffany said...

So exciting!! You're under 1 month in the countdown! Can you believe it?! How much fun to start getting the house all "baby-fied" and to know the little face soon to be interacting with all this new fun stuff! It's so funny to know that the snow suit will have to be ripped off of Artem the second he gets in Texas.. if not sooner! That child won't be needing a snowsuit so long as you're in Central Texas, girl! :)

XOXO

Ryan and Amy said...

Cute, cute and cute. I know the snowsuit thing is nuts - good think to buy one here - we ended up having to get it there when they old us they would't let us take him from the orphanage without one! thanx for sharin the pics!

Teresa McDonald Bierbaum said...

I found your blog on the Esposito's blog. I really enjoyed reading it. The music was playing today and both (21 months) of my Russian adopted babies (Orenburg) were sitting here kissing the screen. They loved pointed out the cat and dog! I too have a blog, how did you get the music to play??? I also love the bubble share. I too now have it on my blog! Congrats on your adventure. I wish you all the best and hope you are home soon with your baby.
Teresa, Brooke & Kyle

Joy said...

I was just looking at these slings on ebay today for my sister and myself. I use one like this at work when we have a baby who is withdrawing from drugs. They are wonderful.

I baby sat for my sister's 2 month old who apparently cries a lot and my brother-in-law wanted to know what I did to him because when they got back he was not crying. I told him it was the sling.

Jane and Jim said...

It's so great that you were able to borrow a suit instead of having to buy one.

It's so close now...Wow, I've been reading your blog for a long time and now the time is here!!! Woooo HOOO!!!
I can't wait to see pics of him and learn all about him.

Carey and Norman said...

Congratulations on the court date. We are so excited for your quick return. I hope the weather is nice so you can get out to walk with Artem and maybe even do a little sight-seeing or souvenier shopping.

Very excited news!!

Dana and Scott said...

I loved reading about all the fun in your life! Amazing times - enjoy! Can't wait to see the little guy! Have fun preparing the gifts and the nursery:)

Deb said...

What a great surprise box of goodies.
Thanks for the sling recommendation. I'm trying to find the right one for us. I'll have to look at that one.

Do you have much left to take care of before you go get Artem?

Anonymous said...

We have the same snowsuit!! Too funny! Sally