Monday, February 4, 2008

First Trip, First Visit

What a day! I don’t even know where to begin except for at the beginning. I’ll get the fast facts out of the way first. We were referred a 14 month old boy, very healthy, with huge eyes and beautiful long eyelashes. He loved to be held and would already gaze into my eyes and cried big crocodile tears when it was time for him to be taken back to his room.

We started the day by going to S’s office and met Sally and Carlos (another couple from our agency) there. S talked to us for a little bit and explained how the process would work and answered a few questions that we had. Both couples drove to the MoE in separate cars and we went in together and waited in a worn hallway for them to call us back. The five of us went back and a representative for the MoE came in with two files and asked us to tell her about us. She spoke only Russian so S had to translate for us. The MoE rep gave us our referrals and they included a picture. She gave us some limited background information and then they asked if we wanted to meet the child. We stated that we did want to meet him and they had us sign more paperwork which gave us a document to carry to the baby home that gave us official permission to see the child, photograph them, video tape them, etc.

Our driver took us about 2 hours northeast of Moscow to a baby home called Fryazino. It is in a town of the same name and looked like a college town. Our driver Pasha told us Fryazino is known for its science institute. The baby home was very quiet and we were told it was nap time when we got there which gave us a lot of time with the doctor/baby home director. She was a very kind woman and gave us extensive information about our son’s background. We asked some questions and then she told us she was going to bring him in to meet us. He was a little apprehensive at first but finally came to me and I held him for a couple minutes. I tried to pass him to Randy and he didn’t want anything to do with him. He cried and cried and cried, so I took him back and he calmed down. The director took us to the playroom and we got about a half an hour with him. We took 126 pictures of him and lots of video. He started to warm up to us and turned out to be quite the ham. He would make silly noises and then wait and look at us waiting to see how we reacted. Of course we laughed and egged him on which got him doing it more. He liked to be held and turned to me and looked at me and stuck his fingers in my mouth and played with my teeth. He can stand with help and stood for a long time cooing and talking to us. He threw a toy and then yelled and talked to the toy he threw. We brought him a Baby Einstein duck that played music and he quickly caught on how to get it to play music. We also brought him a caterpillar that you push on his back and it scoots across the floor. He picked it up to throw it and conked himself on the head. He didn’t like that at all and took his hand and rubbed his head. I squeezed him tight and gave him kisses when he did it and he leaned his head on my shoulder and soaked up that attention. Finally it was time to go and we said our goodbyes and headed back to S’s office in the Moscow rush hour.

S asked us about our son and we showed her some of the pictures we had taken. We told her we didn’t feel it was necessary to meet with the Russian doctor the next day because we felt confident in the extensive medical information the baby home director gave us. We verbally accepted the referral and signed some more paperwork stating we were accepting the referral and gave him his name. Artem Alexander; his mother gave him the name Artem and his father’s name was Alexandervich. The Russian spelling for Artem is Artyom but being a teacher I knew he would forever be correcting teachers and classmates on his name. Not that Artem is that much easier but we like the spelling and feel it will be easier for him. We are really happy that we can keep his Russian name and let him keep a part of his heritage. We also like the fact that it is unique and sounds like a strong name.

Tomorrow Pasha is getting us again at 9:30 in the morning and we are going back to the baby home to visit Artem. We’ll update more later as I am fading fast and Randy is ready to call it a night.

26 comments:

Jodi said...

Congratulations on finding your son! I'm so happy for you! Our daughter was 15 months old when we got home with her and it was a wonderful age. It sounds like Artem is healthy and darling! I can't wait to hear more later!

Anonymous said...

How exciting!! Wow-wow-wow!! I know you can't post pictures yet but I'm looking forward to see some of those 162 photos!! lol

What a blessing :) I can hardly wait to read about "day 2" with your son.

Oh, and I like the name Artem. You're right, it does sound like a strong, confident man :)

Kris said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm thrilled for you and Randy! Congratulations on your baby boy!

Anonymous said...

I can't stop crying, I am so happy for you.

Visit us over at sn if you get a minute. We are talking about your day.

{{{hugs}}}

Natasha

Aka:Islandmom

Carey and Norman said...

Congratulations mom and dad! It sounds like you are officially the parents of an adorable little 14 month old boy. I know how excited you must be after waiting so long for this moment.

I love the name and he will appreciate having a name given at birth! It is funny how the teacher in you comes out when thinking about how to spell his name.

Looking forward to reading about your next visit!

Anonymous said...

Susan - I am an old friend from AFI at SN - and found your blog and have been following it. I am SO HAPPY for you and Randy! Congrats on your "birth"! :) Enjoy day 2 with Artem!

Susan W

Tiger & Kar said...

Congratulations! It sounds like you had a wonderful day with Artem. Can't wait to hear more about him tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Susan!
Congratulations!
I can't wait to see him!
I asked my mom if we could visit you guys when Artem finally gets home!
But she was reading and crying so I didn't get an answer.
Nicolas and I can't wait to see our new baby cousin..!
I love you guys.

<3 Alex

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Congratulations on meeting your son and accepting your referral! It sounds like your first visit went very well! I hope you all got some rest, and I look forward to hearing about your other visits!

Jane and Jim said...

Congratulations and congrats to Artem for getting two of the best parents around!!
I cannot wait to see his eyes!

Love his name too!

Melissa said...

Hope you got my email (I sent it from my phone & am pretty sure it sent, but I'm never positive). Anyway, I'm so glad for you!! Can't wait to hear about Day 2!

Beth said...

Congrats on meeting your son! He sounds like a doll - enjoy the rest of your week with him. We are partially to the name Artem too :)

Robin said...

Congratulations! It all sounds so exciting. I can't wait to hear about your second meeting with your son!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

WOW!!! Congratulations! Owen was 14 months when we met him, and it's such a perfect age! Artem sounds perfect!! So healthy and so developmentally appropriate (I'm such a speech pathologist, aren't I?)! I'm so happy for you and can't wait for you to return for court so we can see some pictures! What a wonderful day. Can't wait to read more! He sounds absolutely adorable!
Adrienne

Jeff & Maria said...

Woo hoo! So happy you found your son. Keep the good news coming!
All the best,
Maria

Rob said...

Congratulations, guys! Can't wait to hear more about your next visit!

Katie said...

I am literally crying tears of joy and excitement for you!!!!! God does answer prayers :-) Now, I want to see a picture.....

Hugs to you both + 1!

Katie, Jeff & Anna Kate

ana said...

We are so thrilled for you! Artem sounds wonderful! Looking forward to hearing more about him this week. Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Susan! I am so thrilled for you. Artem sounds amazing. Praying for everything to continue to go well.

Becky and Keith said...

Oh Susan! How exciting!!! He sounds like a cutie and you must have fallen in love so quickly! Can't wait to hear more about your trip and longer visits with Artem!

Chris said...

Congrats on your introduction to your new son Artem! We have a young Russian man in our office named Artem. Most people call him Archie. Artem is a great name!

We met our daughters at 14 months and they were just starting to walk a few steps. When we went back for trip two the girls were 19 months, and running all over the place. Now at 22 months they climb stairs! So your son will very soon be mobile! Enjoy!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan and Randy
My husband and I have done the same journey as you do now, but ours was 7 years ago, when we got our lovely daughter Jeliza from the sSame childrens home as Artem is from. Now our daughter is 11 years old, it´s a pity we live so far from eachother, we live in Sweden, otherwise it had been nice to meet you and look at your photos if it still look the same.
I would like to give you a big hug and say congratulations, this is the best week in your life!!
My best from
Birgitta F

Anonymous said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! Were so happy for you and can't wait to meet Artem!!!! What a lucky boy he is!

Suz said...

It sounds like a magical day - I know it was! He sounds great and I love the name too.

D did exactly the same thing of putting her fingers in our mouths and feeling our teeth - we were sure she'd be a dentist one day :O)

I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to read more about him after your second visit.

I pray you'll be able to return to him quickly for your court date!

Michelle said...

Congrats Susan & Randy!!! Wasn't that the most surreal day ever?? Artem sounds very healthy and beautiful, too!! Can't wait to see pics!