We are here and in shock that we are actually in Moscow. Our trip was uneventful and after a longggg 6 hour layover in Atlanta we were on our way to Moscow. The flight was fine and not full so I was able to stretch out over three seats and sleep with a little help from my friend Ambien CR. We did have a celebrity sighting on the flight...Russia's version of George Michael, although I'm not sure he refers to himself as that, but we do. It looks like Russian George Michael had a fine time in the duty free shop and bought out the whole place. And since he was George Michael he didn't have to abide by the 2 carry on rule and had several people running up and down the plane looking for overhead storage for his 10 shopping bags full of stuff. Randy and I just looked at each other and said, "Is this how Russia is going to be?"
We met Carlos and Sally in the airport when she came up to me and said, "Are you Susan?" and we started chatting from there. They sat in front of us on the flight but Sally didn't know you could jump to another row and take over a whole aisle that you aren't assigned to. I'll bet she travels differently on the way home! ;-)
We also met the Horsts from TN. She was behind me and asked if I was Susan and introduced themselves. Kathy is like me and already knew to jump to the middle aisle so she slept in the row behind me over here. My kinda girl!
As we were getting off the plane we saw Mark and Sinziana in the waiting area. Sinziana was waving her hands to get our attention and I went up to the glass to talk to them. It was kind of hard to have a conversation through the glass dividers but Sinziana gave us some good advice and of course, showed us pictures of Diego. He is so cute and has these huge brown eyes. They are so happy and you could tell by how Sinziana excitedly talked about him. Mark stood there like a proud dad, flipping through pictures on the laptop.
Our driver/translator Pasha was already at the airport waiting for us when we went through customs. He was Rob and Dede's translator when they were on their first trip. There is NO WAY we would be able to figure this place out without him. This place makes Seoul South Korea look like a back country road. It's pretty even though it is winter and covered in snow. The buildings are very ornate and they all look like museums or govenment buildings but they are just regular buildings. After Pasha picked us up he took us to exchange money at this little tiny room in the middle of a strip of shops. He also took us to get groceries. A lot of stuff looks the same. Chester Cheetah is the same in Russia as America and Heinz ketchup looks the same but we would have never found the milk since it is sold in a carton that sits on a shelf, not refrigerated. The only thing I have not been able to get used to is the cigarrette smoke. They smoke everywhere over here. Our apartment smells really strongly of smoke and our sheets and pillows smell of smoke. I wish we would have brought our own pillows and we will have to go back to the store so I can get some Visine as my eyes are burning and red right now from all the smoke.
We are on our way out to dinner. We are going to TGIFridays which is down the way from us. Rob and Dede are going to meet us for coffee afterwards and we'll get to see Liam!! Pasha picks us up tomorrow at 10:00 am and we head to the CSS office and then to the MoE for our referral information and then to the orphanage!! Omigosh!! Our lives will never be the same after tomorrow and I just want it to hurry up and get here now. We'll update more tomorrow night when we get in from our day.
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Glad to hear you made it there safely and that you were able to meet so many familiar faces/names. That's wonderful! By now you may be sitting w/ Dede, Rob & Liam so I hope you have fun getting to know them. Good luck with the referral tomorrow! Many prayers are sent your way. I can't wait to read all about your day!
Susan - So glad you and Randy had a safe trip to Moscow. We are home and as excited as I was to see Luca after being away a week, a big piece of my heart is still in Moscow! If you end up heading out to Podolsk..send a kiss to our Jaxon. Can't wait to hear about your referral!
I am so excited you are there safe and sound! I cant wait to hear about you meeting you new baby!
Cant wait to hear more (I'm a Kaz waiting family)!
Cant wait to hear more (I'm a Kaz waiting family)!
I'm so glad you were able to give us an update!! So glad to hear that you had an uneventful trip getting there!! I'll be thinking of you tonight when it's Monday there and knowing that you're meeting your child!
Glad you made it safely!
Glad to hear that every thing is going smoothly so far and you made it safe. Good luck with everything tomorrow!
Hooray, you made it! Ugh, the smoke is terrible, isn't it!
It sounds like you've had a great trip so far and I pray that all things fall together smoothly for you. I can't wait to read your updates this week!
I've had you on my mind all yesterday and today (especially as D and I were making her 100 day of school poster for the parade tomorrow:O)
Have a wonderful time!
I am so glad that you got there safe and are well on your way to meeting your little one. It must be so cool to see everyone from the blogs over there. This is truly a joyous time.
Joy
Glad you're there, safe and sound. Will be thinking of you tomorrow, and can't wait to hear all about it! (And maybe we'll cross paths in the airport on Saturday!)
Welcome to Moscow! I met Rob and Dede on the plane and have been following their adventure since arriving here in Moscow. I follwed a link from Rob and Dede to your blog. Please feel free to contact us if there is anything we can do for you. If you have a bit of spare time we would would love to show you a bit of Moscow!
Paka!
Dinia and Ron
Yeah-you made it! Congrats, cannot wait to hear more!
We tried to send this via our e-mail account, but it was rejected because of the russia internet provider origin. Here it is again:
Welcome to Moscow-
A little colder and the architecture is just a little more oppressive
than Kileen and Harker Heights.
We decided to stay in country for the 10 day waiting period (before we
can pick Matthew up from the Kolomna Baby House) and take a train to
St Petersburg. We are heading back today and should be back in slushy
Moscow close to 2300 tonight.
We will be in our Peace Travel apartment on Novy Arbat (BLDG 26) at
local tel # 291-2068. If you guys would like to get together for
dinner or starbucks this week, let us know by e-mail or phone. We are
excited to hear about your referral!
-Kathy and Doug Boyer (Displaced from San Antonio and Ft. Sam/BAMC)
So excited to hear you're in Russia and have probably already met your referral by now.
Hope that went well, can't wait to read the details.
I'm glad you made it safely to Moscow and had plenty of room to stretch on the plane. I cannot wait to hear about your referral! Many blessings and prayers are coming your way!!
Thinking of you guys today. :) I bet (with the time difference and all) that you've gotten to meet your little one!!!!
Can't wait to hear all about it. :D
(One of your SN friends)
Post a Comment