Thursday, February 7, 2008

First Trip, Fourth Visit




Today was our last day with Artem and it was one step back, one step forward. We were able to see him after his nap, but instead of his normal three hour nap, he only slept one hour. Artem definitely was feeling worse today with his chest cold. The caregiver told us the flu is going through his room and over half the children have had it so we are sure Artem is next to get sick. Today he was pulling at his right ear when he would cry and he didn’t want to play with any toys. Nothing really made him happy except being in my arms. I tried to switch my seating position a few times and he started crying when it made him feel like I was putting him down. The majority of our time was spent with me holding Artem and rocking him in my arms. Eventually he put his head on my shoulder and just melted into me. Randy and I have decided that Artem will not be a child that needs to be entertained when we bring him home. He will need lots of snuggle time and soothing and will probably be joined to my hip. This is all fine by me since this little guy has never had anyone rock him to sleep and sing lullaby’s in his ear.

Artem let Randy get close to him today and he would touch Randy’s hand while Randy was holding a book for him to look at. He enjoyed Randy feeding him the Gerber puffs but still cried when he thought I was putting him down. Eventually it was time for us to go see where he slept and ate. I had to put my shoes on so I passed Artem to Randy. Bring on the tears! He cried and held himself as far away from Randy as he could get, but within 30 seconds he calmed down and the tears and drama stopped. Success! Randy carried him into his sleeping/play room without a peep but as soon as Randy tried to put him down he started to cry again and grabbed on to Randy. Finally, he wasn’t trying to get away from Randy, but he was clinging to Randy. We saw where Artem sleeps and the table where he sits in a regular chair and eats his meals. He has a little locker where they keep his clothes and boots when he goes outside. We saw the other children that live in his room and a few of his caregivers. The medical doctor and Artem’s caregiver felt his head and must have agreed he was feverish and getting sick because the caregiver took him from Randy to put him to bed and that was that. Our time was up and we left the room. Before she took him away I got in a few kisses and told him “Yellow blue vus” which is “I love you” in Russian. I started crying so I turned and looked at Randy and he got me out of there. It’s hard to think about the wait we have ahead of us until we can get Artem home with us but we are lucky to be in a region that moves very quickly and our court date should not be far away.

Before we saw Artem today we did some sightseeing. We saw Red Square, the Kremlin, St. Basil’s Cathedral, Lenin in his tomb, Stalin’s grave, and the Russian version of the Eternal Flame. We were lucky to see the changing of the guards at the flame as it was impressive to see the pomp and circumstance that goes into it.

Tomorrow around noon we are going to have our medical examines at the clinic. We’ve heard several versions of how the exam will be so it will be nice to get it over with and hopefully it will be easy and uneventful. Tomorrow night is our last night here so several of the families are getting together at TGIFridays. We’ve been there several times and we did try to eat at another restaurant the other night but when we told them we were a party of six they said, “Nyet” and wouldn’t let us in. Saturday we leave at 1:00 pm along with several other families with our agency. We are eager to get home and get the clock started towards our court date and get Artem home with us.










13 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow. I could've written your post a little more than a year ago...just about all of it. The reactions to both of us, the sickness, the sadness leaving.

I'm thankful, for you, that the time between your trips will likely be shorter. Hopefully it will fly by!

I hope you have safe travels on the way home!

Deb said...

I've got tears in my eyes reading your last minutes with your son. I'm so glad you think you'll get a quick court date. I can't imagine how you must feel.
Hope your flight home is a smooth one.

Jane and Jim said...

I'm so sad for you that you have to leave the little guy- I hope and pray that your court date comes fast.

Jane

Jodi said...

I'm soo sorry that you have to leave Artem knowing that he's feeling so poorly. I'm sure that they will take care of him, and hopefully you will be back with him very, very soon! Fingers crossed that you get a court date in record time!

Dana and Scott said...

Tears are streaming down my face. I feel for you, I can understand... everything. Praying for a fast trip back to get your boy!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I can't imagine how hard it must have been to leave your sweet little boy today. I loved your comment about Artem needing lots of hugs when you get home. It reminded me of our youngest son. He has always been our little snuggle bunny! Oh, such sweet blessings! It's wonderful that Artem let Randy hold him today.

I hope you have a safe and uneventful flight home and I'll be praying for a quick court date to reunite your family!

P.S. Awesome photos!!!

Michelle said...

I know (from experience) that there isn't a lot that can be said to comfort you today. You are leaving a huge piece of you behind, but you WILL be back SOON and your family will be complete!! You guys (including Artem!!) will be in our thoughts and prayers and so will a quick court date!!

LC said...

To have to leave like that - it has to just about make you sick. All the poor little guy needs is so good TLC!
I'll be praying that your court date comes fast.

Have a safe trip home!

Anonymous said...

Much love and prayers accompanying you on your trip home and through to your court date and reunion with sweet Artem. WHAT A DOLL! Each time you put your head on your pillow, you'll be one day closer to having him home. Greet each day and know there are mounds of people who love and support you all... and more importantly keeping you in their prayers! XOXOXO Tiff

Carey and Norman said...

I am so glad Artem allowed Randy to hold him today. I know how important that was to Randy. He will love having some pictures of he and Artem too to show the guys back home. I know you are sad that your time with Artem is over and you will return home. I'm very thankful that your wait is short b/w trips and you'll be back before you know it. You may not have gotten over your jet lag yet :o)

Safe travels-

Chris said...

Your pictures brought back memories of Moscow.

The bonding time you spent with Artem is so precious. I'm glad things are going well.

Have a good trip home!

Joy said...

Susan,
It sounds like you had some good time with your little guy. It must have made Randy's day to get the chance to hold him. I will pray for a speedy court date.
Joy

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wanted to cry reading about how he didn't want you and your hubby to put him down. :-(

I'm go happy for you guys - you know I've been there for your journey for what it seems like forever, so I have a specialy place in my hear for you.

How long 'till you get to go back? How long 'till you get him? I followed JodiinAZ's journey too so I know a bit about how it goes. Here's to yours being just as great.

xo