Monday, March 31, 2008

It Took Seven Years



It took seven years but we can finally call ourselves “mom” and “dad”. The judge’s ruling was that we “be allowed to adopt Artem”!

We were supposed to have court at 11:30 but there was a fiery crash on the road and at 11:25 we were still sitting in our apartment waiting for our driver. We made it to court by 12:15 but the prosecutor had left and we were told she would return at 1:00 and we would have our case heard then. At 1:00 we went back into court. The apprehension of court is worse than the actual trial. Randy made his speech; I made my speech and then the social worker spoke for a little bit. The judge did not ask us any questions as Randy’s speech was well written and included all the necessary information. A few minutes later the judge came back in the room and gave us her decision. After court we went to the notary and signed some documents for our agency to get our court paperwork next Friday. We paid our 840 rubles and we were on our way home. We made it back to the apartment by 4:30 p.m. It was a long day but an incredible day!

Gotcha day will be next Friday, April 11th and after that our lives will be changed forever. I’ll leave you with some pictures of us in front of the court house. We are on our way out to dinner with Sally and Carlos (who also had a successful court hearing today) and Michael and Carrie who had their trial last week. We are going to Old Arbat tonight for dinner at Hard Rock Café to celebrate the three newest sets of parents. Tomorrow morning we are being picked up at 7:30 a.m. to fly home again. Thank you for all your prayers and support, we’ll see you all soon!

48 comments:

Laura S said...

Congratulations on such a big day! Enjoy each other this week as things will get crazy (in the best possible way) next week!

Tiger & Kar said...

CONGRATULATIONS! This is wonderful news. I am so happy for you, Randy & Artem. Crying happy tears right now!

God bless!!
Karyn & Norm

Jane said...

So happy for you! Congratualations "Mom and Dad"!

Carrie said...

Congratulations!! April 11th will come sooner than you think. I am so happy for your family.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you!

Susan W from SN

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Much love and happiness to you all. May the days fly by until Gotcha day!!

Kimmber

Lindsay said...

Fantastic! Brilliant news mom and dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah :)

Anonymous said...

Overjoyed for you all! Wonderful wonderful news.

Scuba

Elizabeth said...

I am so happy for you guys! I was thinking about you all day yesterday, hoping that despite all the crazy paperwork issues, everything would go smoothly for court.

the Horvaths said...

Congratulations, such happy news for a monday morning! Good job at court! have a nice dinner- celebrate!

Anonymous said...

So very happy for you. Safe travels and may the next 11 days speed quickly by!

JulieB from SN

Anonymous said...

Congratulations MOM and DAD!!!!

Natasha (Islandmom)

Unknown said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! I cannot wait to see a picture of you & the little guy back at home starting your new lives! :D

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so glad for you guys!!! Welcome to parenthood!! :))))

Robin said...

Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations. I can not tell you how happy I am for you guys. You both deserve it very much and will be awsome parents. Artem is a very lucky little boy!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!!!! Congratulations!

Mia from SN

Katie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm crying tears of joy and relief for you & Randy. I wish I could give you guys a hug. Okay, be looking for a special gift for little Artem and his mommy :-)

Love you guys,
Katie, Jeff & Anna Kate

Dede said...

Woo hoo! I am so happy for you guys! Congrats Mom & Dad!!!!

Susan said...

I've been following your story. We were on the SN AFI board way back when. You are going to be a great mother to Artem, I can't wait to see pictures of the family. :)

Congrats Susan, I'm so happy for you.

Susan AKA (JSLCS & Susan-Lauren's mom)

Kris said...

A million congratulations to you, Randy, and Artem! What an incredible roller coaster of a journey that led you all to each other. Never doubt HIS plans for you. He knows better than we do. Congrats, Susan!!!!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Congratulations Susan and Randy! We are so happy for you all! Artem is such a cute boy! It has been great to meet up with you all the past couple of nights and get to know you better. We hope you have safe travels home, and we look forward to possibly seeing you all again next week in Moscow!

Rob said...

Congrats guys! Breathe deep! It's all just nit-picky paperwork stuff from here.

Melissa said...

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I"m so late in responding, but I'm so excited - we are finally BOTH mama's!!!

Beth said...

Congrats Susan and Randy! What a long way from the lost dossier days! The two of you are beaming parents. Can't wait to see photos of Artem. Safe travels!

Troy and Rachel said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you three!! Looking forward to meeting you on the flight!!

Antoine & Lori said...

Congratulations, Susan and Randy! We're thrilled for you. Lori, Antoine, Simone and Claire

Jodi said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy that court went so well for you and that Artem is officially your son!! Can't wait to meet you all when Artem gets home and settled!

karen said...

Congratulations!!!

Russian Adoption Chronicles said...

Awesome! Congrats mom and dad! Can't wait to see pictures. Have a safe trip home.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

YIPPEEEEE!!!! Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to hear more about your trip and sweet Artem!

Anonymous said...

I'm so thrilled for you all. Welcome to parenthood Mama & Papa.

Marcia SN

Michelle R said...

Back in tears AGAIN!!!! We grew up in Texas and my brother lives in the Alamo Heights area.. he has THE CUTEST store there called "the spotted mule"

Our kids go to Camp Longhorn, so when we come in this summer, I just might have to give you a call and meet Mr. Artem myself!!!
What a glorious day!!

Deb said...

Yippee!!! Congratz to you both. I'll keep you in my prayers as you fly home and anxiously wait to return to pick Artem.

Becky and Keith said...

Woooohoooo!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! So excited for you! Have a safe, safe flight home!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Have a safe trip home.

Ryan and Amy said...

WHOO HOO!!! So happy for you! Our thoughts are with all of you happy mamas and papas accross the world! Congrats!

Chris said...

Congrats! We are so excited and happy for you. Have a good trip home, and we can't wait to hear about your return to bring Artem home!

yorkiemom said...

Congratulations, we're so happy and excited for you.

Joy said...

I am so happy for the three of you.
Joy

Michelle said...

Congrats!! You are now officially a "Party of 3!" I can't wait to see more pics of the new family!

Ani said...

Congratulations!!!!

Me, Myself and I, though not always in that order said...

I am so happy for you. You are going to be a great mom! What an exciting time for you and Randy. I hope the three of you are home in TX soon.

Leigh (from Military Spouses)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day for you all. Artem is blessed to have such tenacious parents. The perfect Bible verse for you--"What was sown in tears will be reaped in joy." So happy for your family! Josh, Nora, Grace & Rose

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Congratulations! Let the good times roll!

Alexis Jacobs said...

Congrats, congrats congrats!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Susan and Randy I can't wait to see pictures of your new family!!

Jane and Jim said...

I'm soooo happy for you! Congrats! (Love the song by the way)

Anonymous said...

I finally figured out how to comment on here after reading quietly for awhile. Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you guys :)