I've mentioned before that in the seven years that we've tried to start a family we haven't bought any baby things for fear that it would "jinx" us. That sure did pay off...insert sarcasm.
Now that a referral looks like it will be sooner rather than later for us, I'm ready to let go of the fear and start buying baby stuff. I'm looking for some good children's magazines to subscribe to. The other day when I was at our home study agency there was a postcard for a free subscription to American Baby and I was going to take it but then it dawned on me that we won't have a baby so a lot of the information wouldn't be relevant to us. Are there any good magazines out there for toddlers or adoption issues that you could recommend?
Randy and I also talked names the other night. There are a couple of names we (translated means, "I" like and Randy nods his head every now and then to appease me) like and have talked about using. But again, we have never nailed anything down for sure since we didn't want to jinx anything. Lately when we refer to the baby we call him Junior. "We'll have to buy Junior this or we'll show Junior how to do that". I told Randy the other night that we need to start using the names we are thinking about and see how they sound. The guys at Randy's work refer to our son as Ivan but I told Randy we will not name him Ivan. They ask him how we are doing on the paperwork to get Ivan or any news on when Ivan will come home. I really envy people that picked a name years ago and have always wanted that name the whole time. That would make things a lot easier for us.
I guess it's time to start buying stuff for the baby and letting go of our past fears and start to focus on the future. It's time to order magazines, say some names out loud, and let ourselves get excited for what is ahead of us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I didnt buy anything when I was trying to get pregnant for about 2 years. Then my ex-bff told me build it and they will come. SO I did. Well that didnt work either. So the summer before we got pregnant I sold it all at a yard sale. That was 2004. We found out we were pregnant Christmas of 04. So I dont believe anything we are told when it comes to that. lol
I get Parenting, which is good for all ages. As for clothing catalogs.....it depends on your style. I like CDW Kids, Kelly Kids, Orient Expressed & Hanna Andersson. I also really like Old Navy, Gap, The Children's Place & Gymboree. If you're looking for nursery ideas......let me know. I still have them bookmarked ;-)
Adoptive Families is good. And go ahead and get teh FREE American Baby and there's another one. You'll find ideas of toys and stuff, and they're free.
I also get Parenting which has a section in the back with age related developmental stuff.
I just got Family Fun, which is full of kids craft ideas and stuff if you're crafty.
My advice on the names is to wait and see what name he has already been given to decide. But certainly have one or two that you both like when you travel.
Even though you and I are in the same boat, we receive Family Fun - it may not relate to you though since yours will be so young. You can check out some things on www.familyfun.com.
Names, ah yes names! It's a tough one. They do say you have to have a name picked out by the end of the 1st trip so at least have some ready to try out on him/her (privately!).
Jim is a very patient guy but I want to get everything NOW! It's hard, but we've not bought anything yet.
Susan, a name is so important it is a good thing that you are thinking ahead. I just have a feeling that you will be traveling much sooner then you think.
Joy
Wow, it is great that you are expecting a referral so quickly. We are so excited for you.
I hear Parenting is good and I read it at the doctor's office when I go. I also enjoy reading Adoptive Parenting and I subscribe to ParentLife from Lifeway which is great. It has wonderful crafts and articles on adoption too.
Have fun shopping!! Once you start, you can't stop....
I'm a firm believer in the "jinx" so I'm with you! My new rule is that I can buy things (big things like furniture) BUT I cannot put it together until between trips 1 and 2. I laughed about you and Randy discussing names - sounds just like my conversations! :-)
Go out and buy something. It will feel wonderful. I just posted about this very subject on my blog TheUkraineTrain.
God Bless.
How fun and exciting! We've had both experiences with the name. DD's name was picked out for years. The name we loved for DS had gotten way too popular in the 10 years that we had it picked, so we were back to the drawing board. Have fun with the shopping!!
Jodi
Post a Comment