You know back in the "old" days when a mother wanted her children to come inside and eat she would ring the triangle that was hanging outside on the porch? Well we have a different tradition around here. Randy says when he hears the smoke detector going off, he knows dinner is ready. I'm an okay cook but I've had a few "incidents" shall we say, along the way that have knocked me out of contention to have my own cooking show. On the flip side, I love to bake and I'm pretty good at it.
With the summer heat and humidity absolutely scorching us lately, I've been trying to come up with different things to keep Artem occupied inside the house. I decided baking cupcakes with a 20 month old would be a fun and educational way to pass the time. I know what you are thinking, "is she nuts?" But it was really fun and Artem did a better job than several of my past Kindergarten students at following directions.
He was in charge of lining the cupcake pan with the paper cups:
He poured the dry cake mix into the bowl and poured the water and oil in the bowl while I handled egg duty. He helped me hold the mixer as long as I kept it on low speed; he didn't like how noisy it got on the higher speeds.
I scooped up the batter in the small measuring spoon and he poured it into the little paper cups. That part was a little messy but it just gave us a chance to lick the extras off of the baking pan. He was also the designated "pot watcher" as we waited for the cupcakes to bake.
While we waited for the cupcakes to finishing baking, we both enjoyed licking the beaters.
Artem helped me clean up and put the packaging in the trash can and even put his chair back that he used to stand on. (I'm training him young!)
After everything was cleaned up, we got to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Unfortunately, Artem was so excited to eat the cupcake he didn't give me time to show him how to peel the paper away and his first bite included the paper cup. Yuck!
Anyone have a wedding cake they need done? I've got the man for the job!
10 comments:
Susan, you crack me up! Anytime I've cooked dinner, Norm's also alerted by the smoke detector! In our house though, the smoke detector is accompanied by my screaming in pain due to some self inflicted mishap.
Looks like Artem had a lot of fun - especially licking the batter!
Wow, I admire your ability to bake cupcakes with Artem. That's quite an accomplishment.
I don't think Liam would have ever put any of the batter in the liners...way to go Artem!
That looks like a great time, we can't wait to get home and start doing all these fun things!
awww....he is going to give macy a run for her money. Tell him not to open his Bakery across the street from hers.
Okay, he is too cute and you are going to turn him into a little clean baker before you know it! :)
On another note, I nearly wet my own pants reading the potty training post. That is the funiest ever! Let me just say as a mom who has potty trained three boys... God bless you my child! Oh my, the stories I could tell you.
I will say this... I have come up with what I believe is the best and quickest route to taming the penis to the potty... I like to call it the "naked and 75". That's where you clear your entire calendar for ONE WHOLE WEEK. You let your little guy be naked from sun up to sun down so he can see what happens when he gets "that feeling", and then you pay 75 dollars to have your carpets cleaned at the end and you have a potty trained boy. :) I might also recommend that since you are going to be in the house for a week and you are going to be going CRAZY by day two... you might invest in a couple of magnums of your favorite wine before the lock-down begins. :) This works really well in the summer because you can skip the 75 part and just lock the little bugger out of the house in his birthday suit til he gets the point. hehehe
(Just kidding, of course! sort of... )
Ondrea
I love seeing kids learning these trades early. He looked like he was a very eager helper.
This is funny. Great photos. I enjoy your blog.
I wonder if he liked the paper?!? I love the pictures. He is so helpful. I wonder how Bryson would do helping make cupcakes.
Great pictures! My boys also love to cook; it's our favorite activity on a rainy day and keeps them busy for hours.
Post a Comment