Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Potty Training...The Death of Mama

When we met Artem, the caregivers told us he was being potty trained. He was 14 months old and I thought there was no way a 14 month old boy was already being potty trained. When we picked Artem up from the baby home in April he was just turning 17 months old and the caregivers gave us his daily schedule and it included potty time. Again, they mentioned that he was potty training and they suggested that we keep it up. I knew it would not be possible to keep up their potty training schedule with all the changes Artem was about to go through. The first week in Russia Artem pee'd three times a day like clock work and it became apparent to us that the baby home had indeed started potty training him and getting him on a potty routine. That all changed once we got home and I was perfectly content having Artem in diapers. Potty training was the least of my worries and I was convinced that it was something we would deal with after Artem turned two.

My girlfriends have been talking potty training lately, but I'm the one that says, "Oh Artem's not even close to potty training yet; he's not showing any interest in it at all", even though the boy gives me a standing ovation after watching me use the restroom (mothers have no privacy) and accompanies it with a hearty "ta-da" when I flush.

It's all changed this week. Artem is now OBSESSED with the potty and is already wearing me out. He comes running to me saying, "kaka, kaka, mama". (kaka is not our choice word, but Artem brought that word home from Russia so we're going with it) I ask him, "do you need to go potty?" and he responds with a head nod, huge smile, and an excited shriek as he turns and runs toward the bathroom. I'm frantically stripping off his shorts and diaper and hoisting him onto the toilet only for him to smile and say, "all done" approximately 2.3 seconds after his tush touched the seat. *sigh* Every now and then, he sits for a little longer and gives me a couple grunts and scrunches up his nose like he's really giving this one some extra effort. I think it's all for show as it doesn't produce any results except for an occasional fart, which delights him to no end and he starts giggling.

What a I really want to tell him is, "look kid, if you aren't going to give me anything that will make waves in the water, I'm not taking you in there." I know we are supposed to keep this fun and lighthearted right now but repeating this process 10 times a morning is wearing me out and we aren't even to the full blown potty training part. I wonder if there has ever been a mother who dropped dead from the sheer exhaustion of potty training?

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh yes, we are right there, now. And Iliya is 2 1/2. There is a deep & abiding interest in the potty, but nothing happens! It's crazy!

Carrie said...

I have not dropped dead but I think I have been close to therapy. Sophie still has accidents when she is just too busy to stop what she is doing. Drives me crazy!! She will be 5 in a month.

yorkiemom said...

I hear ya on the grunting and obsession. Andrei will either do that with the corresponding facial expressions or I swear he holds some back and will want to go over and over and over again just so he can hear the flushing sound. 3 times last night between bath time and bed!

Mike and Wanda said...

awwww...he's gonna be a plumber!

Mark and Sinziana said...

Susan, you are just hilarious and made me have a good laugh (which I really needed!)! Diego comes to the restroom with me when I do my business, but has no interest at all in what "I am doing"! I just think Artem is the cutest kid!

Anonymous said...

We just potty trained this summer. I spent three days at home with my daughter. She will be 3 in Nov. One time she sat for 1 hr 20 mins. I thought I was going to die, but her babysitter agreed that she is very hard headed and I needed her to see that she could go. She has only had one pee accident and 2 poops. The poop is a challenge because she is trying to hold it in. She went today and earned a new Dora umbrella. When you decide to go for it just do it and don't look back. I felt like dying, but now I am sooo pleased to be in big girl panties and only sister in diapers! Oh, she naps in panties and sleeps at night in a diaper! good luck!!!!!

Beth said...

I laughed reading your post - how funny Artem is! Luca went through a "potty obsessed" period. It was exhausting, as he really only wanted to be naked and flush the toilet. He was not ready to be potty trained at that time, but I did not want to deter his interest. We bought him a Fisher Price potty that "flushed",sang, rewarded him with praise, etc. We kept it in the bathroom next to the toilet. This seemed to satify his potty obsession for a bit :)

Troy and Rachel said...

Daniel gets up and down, up and down, up and down...I've about given up for now. We'll turn it back into the stool for a few days and then try again! Artem sounds pretty normal to me!! He sure is keeping you hoppin'!!

Melissa said...

Just wait until your shopping, and the bathroom is halfway across the store, and you just found the find of the century, and it's the last one left. Do you throw it in the basket, and pray you make it to the bathroom in time, or bolt for the bathroom?

Little Patch of Heaven said...

Oh the days. Your son is adorable.

Our Family said...

Susan,
It is fun to read what we will soon be experiencing! Great luck with the "potty training", at least you get your exercise in! :)

Adrian & Ken
2008russia.blogspot.com

Our Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

I feel your pain. Lily is nearing 3 and very very happy to train, but she has no abilities yet... bah.

I finally gave up and put diapers back on, I am sick of spending the day in that bathroom and then cleaning up messes all over the floor.

I have done this 3x before and never been met with such completely cheerful tinkling all over the house... again, bah!

good luck!

Dede said...

This post made me laugh. We are going through the same thing with Liam but we do get results about 70% of the time now. Hang in there!

Kimmber said...

Sounds like he truly is well on his way to training! It won't last forever, good for you still trying to keep it fun. Potty training was such an exhausting process in our house.

Alexis Jacobs said...

Potty training is a tough one. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan and Randy! Finally checking in here...I highly recommend the Baby Bjorn toilet insert--keeps the little guy's planted on the toilet and no mess after (usually, I should say :-). Matthew's pretty much on schedule for the day--the Russians are big on wake-up time and after each meal, if that helps. Hi to you all! Sally, Carlos and Family

Shane & Marie said...

Too funny! I think he just likes seeing your reaction. Bryson has his own potty and he loves to sit on it, clothed or naked, but nothing happens. He also thinks he has to come with us while we are going potty.