Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Another Day, Another Adventure

I almost died today. My friend Kim, (Layla's mommy) tried to kill me by inviting us over to play on their Little Tikes Water Park. I was surprised she didn't charge us admission to play on the beast. Last week the theme at library toddler time was transportation and they had a giant blowup train for the kids to jump through after story time was over.

I thought Artem would love to go in the train but as soon as we got close he dug his nails into me and started screaming. We ended up just watching the other kids go through it. In all fairness, the entrance to the train looked like a giant butt that we had to squeeze through to get in so I don't blame Artem for being scared. I want Artem to enjoy bouncy houses so when Kim mentioned they would be blowing up the "water park" this week I told her I'd like to come over and give Artem a chance on it. I was worried he would be latched on to me again and not give it a chance but he proved me wrong. He let me carry him to the top and slide down with him. It is not easy getting 27 wiggly pounds of toddler up to the top of that thing with water spraying down on you making it slick and two little girls, Layla and Lillee, below you on the ladder bouncing up and down. It took all my might to make it to the top as Kim stood off to the side laughing and taking pictures. What a good friend huh? I went down a few times with Artem on my lap and he loved it. I asked him if he wanted to do it again thinking he would shake his head "no" but he said "yes" and this time he went by himself. Way to go little buddy! He also asked to climb through the tunnel and did it several times. This tunnel was more open than the train and didn't look like a giant butt so he did this one by himself. Despite the near-death experience Kim gave me today, I had a great time with Artem and was so proud of him for trying something new.

At the top:


I promise he's having fun!


Through the tunnel:


He likes it!



Sorry to dissapoint you, but there was no baby crack (for once) at the pool today as Artem was wearing a swim diaper.

We started toddler music time at the library today and most of the kids there are the same ones Artem sees at Thursday's toddler reading time. He's starting to recognize the kids and waves and says "hi" to them when they come in the library. Artem was happy to see one of the little girls today and was standing next to her during singing and she turned and smacked him square in the face for no reason at all. He was so hurt, not physically, but you should have seen his bottom lip come out and he just looked at me with the most pitiful face. I felt so bad for him because he's finally starting to interact with the other kids his age and this girl goes and smacks him in the face. He didn't go near her for the rest of singing time and didn't wave goodbye to her like he did to the rest of the kids. As a parent, I hate to see him go through that kind of stuff. I know I can't shield him from it but it makes my heart sad to see his little heart hurt like that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad i wasn't there, i probably would've smacked that little girl right back... :-P

Anonymous said...

I'm ssssooooo disappointed. No pictures of the giant butt?

Laura

Troy and Rachel said...

What a cutie pie - that water park looks like tons of fun!! Go Artem!! I think I would have almost dies trying to get Daniel to the top too!! Way to hang in there like a champ!

Deb said...

Glad he enjoyed the blow up water park. It looks like fun.
How terrible of that girl to hit him for no reason. I hope he has forgotten by the next time he sees her.

Shane & Marie said...

That water park looks like so much fun. I see why he had a blast.