Artem and I are finally in Moscow after a very difficult trip over. We started on Tuesday morning at 5:00 a.m. and made it from our town to Atlanta to JFK without a problem. But once we boarded the plane at JFK and pushed back from the gate, the aircraft had maintenance problems and it all went to hell in a hand basket after that. From sitting on the taxiway for three hours while maintenance tried to fix the problem, to finally calling the flight cancelled at 11:00 in the evening because the crew would be past their work visa permits to enter Russia, to trying to get a hotel room in Brooklyn at 12:40 at night, to finally trying to get out the next day at 3:00 pm only to have a tug run into the airplane and damage it; it was a challenging time in New York. Thankfully Artem was a trooper and only had one meltdown but I couldn't have asked for better behavior from him.
After we made it into Moscow we ran to the hotel, had 30 minutes for a quick shower and headed out to the baby home to see Andrik. He didn't remember us at all and didn't want to leave his group and caregivers to spend time with us. I offered him toys but he threw them to the ground and turned his head away from me. Artem was only slightly impressed with seeing his new brother with his initial response being, "he's so little" and instead wanted to play on the playground equipment. It wasn't exactly the Hallmark Movie moment we were going for. Fortunately we get to go back to the baby home tomorrow to visit with Andrik again and hopefully he's a little more interested in us but me in particular. Unlike with Artem's adoption when Artem wanted nothing to do with Randy and would cry if Randy went near him, Andrik wants nothing to do with me and only wants to be near Randy. We have some beautiful family photos of me with the boys, Artem hugging me and smiling to the camera and Andrik screaming his head off. They are lovely and I can't wait to share them with you. Of course the pictures of Randy and the boys turned out great and Andrik is happy to be in his arms. Andrik is going to be a tough cookie to crack and is much more attached to his group than Artem was. Great news for us on the attachment front, but I think he's going to have some problems the first few days separating from his caregivers.
We had our Eight Doctor medical today. It was a piece of cake and Lauren, if you are reading this, I didn't have to take my bra off. :-)~ We didn't think we were allowed to take Artem with us and arranged for a babysitter to come to the hotel to watch him but when we arrived at the doctor's office the manager of the medical process told us that if he was here with us they would have given us a private room so he could remain with us. She smiled and said when we return for a third child, we can get a private room. The doctors were very nice and the hospital was EXTREMELY clean and I had no hesitation about doing my blood work there.
Tomorrow we are going to see Andrik again and then head to the market to do our souvenir shopping. Sunday we are spending the day at the park with our translator Pasha and his family and on Monday we have court at 10:30 am. We were planning on having Artem sit outside the courtroom door in the lobby with Pasha while we are in the hearing since they typically only last for 45 minutes but we were told today that Artem would be allowed in the courtroom with us if we want him in there. We have the same judge that we had for Artem's adoption and if she allows it, we'll bring Artem into the hearing with us. Artem already tells us about seeing the judge to ask her if Andrik can be in our family so we know he understands the process and we think it will be neat for him to be a part of the day.
I'll let you know how it goes on Monday. Hopefully we'll have good news after out hearing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Artem is such a seasoned little traveler. I would have had more than 1 meltdown for sure.
I am looking forward to seeing pictures of Andrik. I'm sure he will warm up in no time. Good luck on the rest of the trip!!!
Sounds like getting there was a NIGHTMARE, but at least you made it and have seen Andrik. I'm sorry that he's not happy about seeing you, Susan, but it won't be long until you are the light of his life and he thinks the sun rises and sets with you. What an amazing opportunity to have Artem there and if he gets to go into the courtroom with you, the hearing will be a slam dunk. ;) I will be praying for you!
Hoping the rest of the trip goes a bit more smoothly. ((hugs))
Glad to hear you made it safely although it sounds like it was quite the headache. Good luck with court! It must be very special to have Artem with you! re The memories must be flooding back =)!!
A tugboat. A tugboat?? A TUGBOAT? Was involved in your FLYING delay??
That is one for the books, girlfriend.
My wish for all of you is patience and an efficient process of not only making it legal, but establishing your bonds with each other.
I can't wait to see Artem in his outfit! I cannot even imagine adding 3 hours plus an overnight onto that trip from NY. OMG. Especially with Artem! I'm glad you're seeing Andrik again and you're so close to having him be with you forever! Thinking of you all.
What a nightmare! We flew out of JFK 2 years ago, and were not impressed.
Having Artem in court with you should guarantee a good hearing! I know the judge will be so thrilled to see how healthy and happy he is.
Whoa, you are way, way more patient than I am! What airline did you use? Good luck Monday. Carol
Wow!! I hope everything else goes smoothly!! Looking forward to more updates!! I can't wait to "meet" Andrik!
Sorry it was such a pain getting there! Hope court goes smoothly and you get to show Artem off to the judge!
Tell Masha and Pasha we say hi (and that Natalia is doing wonderfully)! I miss them :(.
Susan,
If I had been off I would have come up and taken you to Sheepshead bay for the morning. I am so glad that you are there safe and sound.
Joy
oh lol love stephenie moody and fam!
Post a Comment