Friday, August 27, 2010

Let's Get This Started

Court is only a week away and we are thanking God over and over that we were able to get such a quick court date. We were told while we were in Moscow on trip one that court wouldn't be until mid to late September. One of the great things about the Moscow Region is the relatively fast turn around between trip one and trip two. I was so upset to know we had to leave Andrik in the terrible heat wave that Moscow was experiencing and then for the situation to be made worse by all the forest fires that covered the city for days with smoke. I prayed every night for a fast court date and every so many days I was told by our agency not to expect anything to happen until mid September at the earliest. But I still prayed, "Please Lord, please give us a quick court date so we can get Andrik home." And again I was told, "no court until the second half of September" and then I got an email two days later, "You have a court date...September 6th" and I just smiled and said, "Thank you God."

We have three days until we board a 6:35 a.m. flight (what was I thinking?) to Moscow! Artem and I are flying out on Tuesday and will arrive in Moscow on Wednesday to meet Randy. We are hoping to go to the orphanage on Thursday and see Andrik. I am so excited to see him again I'm like a giddy little schoolgirl.

We have court on Monday and found out we have the same judge that we had for Artem's adoption. We had already planned on bringing Artem with us to court and have him wait in the lobby with our translator and now we are even more excited to bring him and show the judge what a wonderful little boy he has become. I bought him a white dress shirt, a tie, and some brown dress shoes to wear with a pair of khakis. I can barely handle seeing such a big boy outfit layed out on his bed; I'm not sure how I'm going to breath when I see him dressed in it.

Speaking of clothes for the trip, I have one more entry for my "You Know You Are In the Middle of An International Adoption When..." You know you are in the middle of an international adoption when...you pause for a moment of silence before putting your suitcase on the bathroom scale, praying to the suitcase gods that if this bag can make it under the weight limit, you promise to never over stuff a suitcase again as long as you shall live, amen.

After court, we'll have our mandatory ten business day wait until we can get Andrik from the baby home and the three of us are taking an easy five hour flight to Abu Dhabi and wait out our time there. Randy can continue to work without using extra vacation days and it's on the same time zone as Moscow so it will easier on Artem to travel. After that time is up, we'll head back to Moscow and get Andrik on September 17th, spend a week in Moscow processing his visa and passport, take him to the doctor for his Embassy medical, and then finally do our exit interview at the US Embassy before being given our walking papers. We fly home to Texas as a family of four on the 25th of September. Whew!

12 comments:

Carla S said...

Yay for answered prayers!

I'm so excited for you! Can't wait until you are all back home safe and sound. Family of 4 sounds really good!

Chris said...

Very excited for you. We will pray for a smooth trip.

Heather Brandt said...

I love the short wait for returning to Russia! How wonderful you will have your new son at home with you for all the upcoming fall holidays :)

heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

How exciting! We waited four months to return (three months to find out we were going back) but that also included the Christmas holidays, so. . .AND totally know what you mean about the weight of the bags! Domestic flights within Russia only allow 22 kilos (about 40 pounds) and we were WAY over. . .we had packed for the flight to Moscow! : ) Interesting having to pay overage fees in a country you barely speak the language in! : ) God Bless and good luck!

Jodi said...

Sooo excited for you!! Thrilled with you that you got a quick court date! Email me your arrival time on the 25th and, if you want me to, I'll meet you at the airport to take some photos of your arrival! :)

GuinnessandKillian said...

Were you watching on a hidden camera as we put our suitcases on the bathroom scale and prayed? Huh? Were you? :)

Hooray for a wonderful September. I know it will be great, hard, stressful, lovely and all sorts of other things! I can't wait to see pics of your newest love as soon as you can let us see him. And please let us see pics of Artem in his wonderful court outfit!

Dede said...

We are so happy and excited for you guys! Can't wait to see pics of Artem dressed up and your first family of 4 photos!

Sharon (Looki) said...

I am just so so excited for you!! Just a few more days until you see you Andrik again - I can hardly wait to see pictures of Artem posing with his little brother :)))

Beth said...

Oh you are so right with your latest entry to the You know you are in the middle of an IA....! THat made me laugh! I remember moving one pair of socks to another suitcase....to another suitcase.....cheers when it was under the amount!!

Best of luck as you continue your journey! LOVE that you get to see the same judge...he will be so impressed with Artem! What great experience!

Anonymous said...

Just FYI although you probably know this, you will be in Abu Dhabi during the last week of Ramadan and also there for the fete at the end of Ramadan. I hope everything goes smoothly with the adoption, congratulations.

Laura said...

Best wishes as you travel on a trip of a lifetime. How wonderful that you can introduce Artem to the judge who pronounced him your son. What a rare opportunity.

Blessings to you - can't wait to read more!

~Laura :)

MtnGirl said...

I am so excited for you and your soon to be family of 4! I can't wait to see Artem in his big boy clothes, hear about the court experience when you get to "show him off" and "meet" Andrik! Safe travels and I pray that everything goes smooth as silk!