Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day Two

We are settling in today as a foursome and things are going well so far, touch wood. We moved out of our scuzzy apartment and returned to the Marriott where we stayed for our first trip and for court. Any place that has a chicken talking on a cell phone as the kitchen decor is not the kind of place I want to spend a week.

Now that we are settled into our new digs we are trying to get into a routine and get the boys on the schedule that we keep at home. We ate at the hotel diner tonight which has some of the best food around and then explored the hotel playroom. They have it surprisingly well stocked with blocks, kitchen toys, a table and chairs, a chalkboard, and other toys for the children to use. We were having a really good time until someone went and spoiled the party with a stink bomb in his diaper. He shall remain nameless but he can build a pretty good block tower...ahem...

The boys are adjusting to each other as well as can be expected. We know it's hard for Artem to one day be the center of attention and the next day there is an almost two year old competing for our attention and making off with his toys. But for the most part, the boys are getting along well and Andrik spends a good portion of his day copying everything Artem does, good or bad.

I'm saving this one for one day when they are fighting like cats and dogs.

Up until today, Andrik has not cried when he got hurt. He cries and SCREAMS when he doesn't get something he wants but you don't see him react to pain like a normal child should. Tonight that changed when he shut his fingers in the dresser drawer. He cried and cried over it and Randy immediately picked him up and held him, patting his back, and rocking him. For the next half hour when Andrik was playing he would stop and walk up to one of us holding his fingers out with a pouty look on his face and want one of us to kiss his fingers and rub them.

But no amount of finger pain could stop the dog pile the boys did to Randy tonight. It was so good to hear Andrik belly laugh and have fun wrestling with his dad like children should do. This might become my favorite picture.


Tomorrow we have been invited to our translator/driver's house for dinner with his family. We still aren't sure yet when we start our adoption meetings. We need to get the Embassy Medical completed for Andrik but Dr. Boris is out hunting this weekend and said he'd call our translator when he returns this week to set up our appointment. We also have our US Embassy Interview but that's not until later in the week, maybe Thursday. So until then we'll just continue to hang out and maybe if the weather permits, we'll head to Red Square to take the traditional St. Basil's family photo. Until tomorrow, dasvidanya!

9 comments:

Jen said...

Wonderful pictures...so glad to see you're all doing so well. Please tell Masha and Pasha we said hi.

Anonymous said...

Susan, things sound like they are going well. The pictures are beautiful. I have to tell you a secret...there is something very special about being the mom of boys. You are going to have so much fun!{{{hugs}}}

Natasha (Islandmom)

Dede said...

Thanks for the update! All 3 of your little boys look like they are having so much fun together. ;-) Enjoy your stay and tell Pasha we said hello.

Melissa said...

Can't get over the matching jammies. (or all the matching for that matter, you are a mom after my heart. :)) I love the photos. Those are 2 lucky boys!

ana said...

Those matching pajamas are just too cute!

Congratulations on becoming a family of 4! Hope the rest of your time in Moscow goes smoothly.

Anonymous said...

He is a cutie, and looks very healthy. It soo brings me back to December 2008 when our 4 year old daughter became a big sister to a 2year old "baby" brother.
It is the most beautiful gift one can give to a child to give it a sibling. Congratulations.

Joy said...

Susan, I am so glad to see you all so happy. The pictures are beautiful. I wish now that I had gotten to spend more time in Moscow when I was there with Anna.
Joy

GuinnessandKillian said...

Looks like things are going so well, stink bombs and ouchied fingers and all! I'm envious of that hotel playroom; if I'd realized there was one like that I'd have insisted we stay at that hotel! Thanks for the great update; hope your week goes quickly.

Antoine & Lori said...

Yep, love that matching. I'm always getting the twin question about the girls because I match em up. Promised I never would. Break the promise all the time. Now trying to figure out how to blend the Caboose in with the scheme. Have fun for the rest of your time, and don't get too close to Dr. Boris! Lori