Monday, September 6, 2010

Ten Days and Counting

It was a successful morning for us in a Moscow Region courtroom. After fifty minutes before the judge and prosecutor, we were read the court's decision on our petition to adopt Andrik, and it was the words we were hoping to hear; "The petition is granted." The hearing was even easier than the first time since we knew what to expect and the questions from the judge weren't anything difficult or unexpected.

We were allowed to have Artem in the courtroom with us during the hearing and his behavior was excellent! He sat quietly as still as a three year old can sit during a boring court proceeding in a foreign language, but afterwards the prosecutor, our translator, and the baby home social worker kept telling us over and over how they could not believe how well behaved he was. Our translator told us that Russian children would "never behave so well" and that children are "practically forbidden" during the hearing. We were very proud of him. He sat on a bench behind us and at one point during the trial I could see the prosecutor looking at him smiling and laughing and I turned around to see him only to discover he had untucked his shirt and completely unzipped his tie. Despite that and a few announcements that he had just drawn a dog for us in his writing tablet, we couldn't have asked for better behavior.

Now we begin our ten day wait and anticipate getting Andrik from the baby home late in the afternoon on Friday the 17th.

36 comments:

Carrie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Such wonderful news!! And that Artem looks so handsome! I know you are just bursting with joy and gratitude!!

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Congratulations!! What an awesome experience and outcome.

Andrea (from SN) said...

I'm so excited for you guys, Susan! The picture of Artem is precious and I'm glad he did so well during the hearing. Only a few days until you are a family of four! Yay!

Alexis Jacobs said...

Fantastic news!! Only a few more days and you will be a mama of two!! Artem is too cute!

Mama Fish said...

Oh my goodness Artem looks so grown up in these photos! He looks so handsome. I am so glad he was so well behaved in court. What a blessing! I'm also glad that the Judge got to see a good outcome of a US/Russian adoption. Congratulations on your newest court hearing! I can't wait to see photos of Andrik!

Jill (& Bob) said...

Congrats! Glad to hear court was a success and not too stressful. Way to go Artem on charming the Russian Court :)

Hyun Joo said...

Way to go!!!!!! I'm so happy for you all! I cannot wait to meet Artem and Andrik in the near future! and catching up with you as well.

Lots of love, HJ

Mark and Sinziana said...

Congratulations! Hope the 10 days go by super quick and that the whole family will be united soon!
Sinziana

Rebecca said...

Congratulations!!!! So happy for you.

MtnGirl said...

What a handsome young man! I can't wait to see little Andrik added to those pictures.

Carla S said...

Woo hooo!!! YAY!! SO excited for you! Congrats!!!

sonflowerjax said...

Wow! Wonderful! Artem is such a handsome little guy! So happy for you guys!!!

Michelle said...

Congrats! I bet you can't wait to go get Andrik!! Enjoy your time in Russia as a family of four!!! =)

Stef said...

I'm so very excited for you guys!! Can't wait til the day it's all final... and becoming Aunt "Deffanie" again : ) I will be stalking your blog regularly to hear anymore great news ; )

JennStar said...

Congratulations! So excited for you guys and so glad everything went well!! Counting down the days with you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and well done Artem!

John and Jill said...

Congratulations to the new family of four!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you and your family as I was getting ready for bed the other night. As I was reliving your journey, I began to remember our time at the Embassy. The thing that came back to me first was that it smelled like a dirty diaper because there were so many babies in there with their new families. I am so thrilled for you. I hope your 10 days goes very quickly and you get home soon.

Katie

Jeanette said...

Wonderful news!!!! Artem looks so handsome!!!! I love a little boy in a tie! Can't wait for the 10 days to be up so we can see your newest addition!

Tracey and Chuck said...

Wonderful news!!! Can't wait for your 10 day wait to be over!!!

Doug and Shelly said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see Andrik!

Cindy said...

Congratulations! Artem looks so handsome and grown-up. I can't wait to see pictures of Andrik.

Cindy said...

Congratulations! Artem looks so handsome and grown-up. I can't wait to see pictures of Andrik.

Jodi said...

Such wonderful news!! I thought of you many times throughout the day today and said a prayer each time!! Yay Artem...sounds like all that good parenting is working. ;) Can't wait to meet Andrik!

Ron and Dinia said...

That is great news! Artem looks adorable, and I am not surprised at all that Artem was a champ in court. He is such a sweet boy. Looking forward to seeing pictures of Andrik!

Anonymous said...

What terrific news. I know you are a proud momma! How handsome Artem looks. He looks like a little gentleman in front of the courthouse. Can't wait to see pictures Andrik!

T. Smathers

Ani said...

Congratulations on becoming a family of 4! Hope these 10 days speed by!!!!

Antoine & Lori said...

Congratulations -- now the real fun begins! Artem looks so grown up in his tie -- adorable! Take care and enjoy the rest of your time there. Lori, Antoine, Simone & Claire

Jane and Jim said...

Congratulations!!! Wow, you're now a proud mommy of 2!
Cannnnnnnnnnot wait to meet Andrik! Yay, Artem has a bro!

Sharon (Looki) said...

I can not believe how BIG Artem looks in that bottom picture! He is sure getting ready to be a big brother :)

Congrats on the court day! Looking forward to see pics of your two sons together!! So exciting!

Chris said...

Congrats! You all look great in your photo, and Artem is looking sharp in his tie. I can't wait to see a photo of all 4 of you together!

Heather said...

Wow! I'm so excited for you all! Hoping everything goes smoothly as you wait and as you transition to having 2 sweet boys :)

heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

Carrie said...

Seriously this 10 days is taking forever!! Can't wait to see your family of 4!

Jess said...

Susan, I am so happy for you and your family. How exciting I can just see your big beautiful smile with this wonderful news. Artem is such a wonderful little boy and is going to be a great big brother!Sending big hugs your way and can't wait to meet Andrik(I just love that name!) Miss you and hope you continue to have a safe and wonderful trip!

Love Jess

Chris said...

Getting very close!

Melissa said...

So excited for your family! What a wonderful blessing families are. Hooray for you all! :)