Apparently I'm in hot water with a few blog stalkers over not updating the blog this past week, well actually more than a week, but in my defense, Artem and I traveled to Phoenix for a week to visit friends and family. We had a GREAT trip and I can't believe I am saying this but, "Thank goodness for the dry heat!" What a nice break we had from the humidity of Texas. Have you ever known anyone to go to Phoenix in June to get away from the heat?!
We stayed at my sister's house and Artem got to meet Aunt Stefanie and Uncle Dan, his two cousins, Alex and Nicolas, five second cousins, my parents that are called "Mom-Mom and Ho Ho", my grandmother who we call Mimi, and my good friends Susan, Becky, and Angela. It was so much fun to visit with everyone and see my friends again. The week went by way too fast and I wish we could have stayed longer but I had to return to clear out of my classroom since my maternity leave is over, I'm starting summer break, and best of all, I'm going to be a stay at home mommy and not return to teaching for awhile.
I digress, Phoenix was a blast and I thoroughly enjoyed introducing Artem to everyone. He warmed up to my family after a few tight snuggles into mama and was quickly running around my sister's house leaving a trail of toys behind him. He did great with traveling and I'm sure he was surprised by the short 2 hour plane ride vs the longgg ride from Russia. My sister found Sweet Pea Baby Rentals and it was a godsend! If you ever travel to Phoenix and need baby items, please call Sarah and see what she can do for you. I rented the Britax car seat, Graco pack and play, Peg Perego stroller and booster seat for the table. Sarah met me at the rental car counter at the airport to give me the car seat as I was picking up our rental car and delivered the rest of the items to the house. The price was VERY reasonable and everything was extremely clean and in excellent shape.
I think that was a double digress. The weather was wonderful and it gave Artem the chance to play with Nicolas and Alex outside. Of course Artem had to try out all of Nicolas' toys and Nicolas gladly obliged by showing him how to play the drums, ride in a wagon, and jump on the trampoline. My father is a train fanatic, actually fanatic is not a strong enough word, but he loves trains and has Alex and Nicolas hooked on them as well. He has built an elaborate train set in his laundry room and Artem had so much fun watching Nicolas run the train and blow the train horn. My mother made a huge meal, which Artem ate two large bowls of her cooking proving yet again to more people, that we are not making it up when we say, "the boy can eat." Artem took to my parents after a few minutes and was turning on the charm full force and beginning to wrap them around his little finger. My parents live in a master planned community and we were able to take him to the playground for some fun. It borders the golf course and Artem was so intrigued by all the baby rabbits he saw along the way to the playground.
I also had the chance to meet my friend Susan at the mall, along with two of her children. The mall has a great kid's play area and Artem and Susan's daughter, Dana, ran around having fun while the two Susan's caught up on things. Susan is my super-hero, she has four on-the-go kids and hasn't been taken away to the looney bin...YET! I love you Blue! My good friend Becky drove a long, long way to visit us at my sister's house. I introduced Becky to her husband, not realizing they would end up married, and in return she and her then-boyfriend-now-husband, introduced Randy and I. I love to tell this story, but when Becky first saw me walk into the classroom she was silently praying, "Please don't sit by me, please don't sit by me, she looks like such a snob". I ended up sitting right next to her and now she's driving crosstown Phoenix to see Artem and me. The three of us had lunch at TGI Fridays (I can't get away from that place) and she also played in the water with us at the house and joined us on the trampoline. My friend Angela also came by to see Artem bringing along with her a TON of loot! By the way Angela, you made me go over my weight limit on the flight home and Southwest was going to charge me for the extra weight! Angela stimulated the economy with lots of goodies for Artem; toys that sing, really cool books with puzzles and stuffed animals, and of course some adorable outfits. Angela and I have known each other since big hair ruled the world and we've got lots and lots of stories to tell on each other, don't we my little Tijuana Mama??!!
I'm so blessed to have such good friends that still keep in contact with me and are willing to meet up every time I get back to town even though it's been 9 years since I left Phoenix. Artem did great with meeting everyone and I was worried about him getting overstimulated but it really only happened once and that was at the Golden Corral and to be honest, who doesn't get overstimulated at that place?? We are fortunate to have an easy going little guy that likes to travel and see new things as much as we do. I wish we could have stayed in Phoenix a lot longer as there were more people I would have liked to met up with, but time just didn't allow it. I also wish Artem could see our families more but it does make the time with them more special.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Finally! A post! ;) So glad things have been going well...sounds like a fun & packed trip! It's funny that your dad is "Ho Ho"...that's probably what Iliya would call him! :)
You are a woman on the go. It sounds like you had a great time with your little one. I just love the picture of Artem and your parents the one where he is patting her head.
Joy
What fun to go visit your family and friends. I'm glad Artem did well on the adventure. I agree with you, after that Moscow flight, all other trips are a piece of cake! ;-)
Even though I knew you were going to be gone, I've been stalking your blog waiting to hear a report on your travels. :) Glad you're back!! The pictures are wonderful and it sounds like you had a wonderful time!
Sounds like you guys had a great time!! I'm so glad Artem warns up quickly so everyone got to enjoy him!!
Did anyone ever tell you that you look like your sister? :)
Ondrea
Post a Comment