Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Seasons Change

Fall is coming to central Texas and you can begin to see the changes. The grass is not growing like it was this summer, the trees are starting to change to yellow, the temperatures are starting to cool off to the high 70's, and before you know it daylight savings time will be here and we'll be falling back an hour. Change is inevitable. Sometimes we meet change with opposition and dread and sometimes we greet it with open arms and embrace it. This is one of those times when Randy and I are welcoming change and look forward to what change has in store for us.

A few weeks ago I was reading a fellow bloggers post about changing agencies and getting a referral almost immediately and it made me start to really question our decision to use CHI as our adoption agency. The agency was always very helpful to us, well organized with paperwork, and had a great reputation, but the recent turnover in their agency, lack of reaccredidation, and the increasing wait time for a referral started to send up some red flags. We were kind of naive about IA and thought that every agency had a year long wait time for a referral, but the more I started to look at other agencies the more I realized that we did not need to wait so long. I brought up the idea of switching agencies to Randy and he gave me some good points to ponder, but as I continued to research other agencies, the more it appeared to us that leaving CHI was what we needed to do.

After finding another agency, we made the decision to leave CHI and start fresh with our new agency. We felt it was the best timing for us before we got too far into the process and lost a lot of money. CHI was very understanding and worked with us on refunding all of our money that we had paid up to this point minus the application fee. What a blessing.

Our new agency is very small and has an outstanding reputation. They have their reaccredidation and currently have an extremely short, to no wait time for a referral in the age category that we are looking for. We truly feel like this is where we are supposed to be.

While we were switching agencies we managed to find an independent agency here in town to complete our home study. Our home study is finished and we are just waiting on the written report to come through. They are aware of our push to get it finished as fast as possible and are working to finish the home study as quick as they can. Our I600A will be mailed this week and we were told by an adoptive parent here in our town that used our new agency, that the San Antonio office that we will use got both of their 171H's (they did two separate adoptions) to them in four weeks. Our dossier paperwork should be here in the next couple days and is a very close match to CHI's so we won't have to change a lot of things. We were over half way finished with our dossier paperwork when we were with CHI.

At this point, we are going to get our dossier submitted as quickly as we can and then we should be getting our referral very soon after our dossier is submitted. Things are now happening so quickly that we are almost nervous that we will be ready for a baby by the time it all happens. Somehow I think we'll be able to work that detail out after 7 years of trying to have a child. :)

18 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow Susan, things are happening so quick. I am so excited for you. You and Randy will be great parents!!

Tiger & Kar said...

Susan & Randy - My name is Karyn & I have been following your (and others) blog for the last few weeks. My husband & I just started our adoption journey, and I'm pretty sure we are using the same agency as you. Anyway, I just wanted to congratulate you on your decision to switch agencies and wish you the best of luck. Your famiy is in our prayers! Oh, and feel free to check out our blog as well. It should be listed under our profile. Congrats again!
Kar in VA

Chris said...

Hi Susan,

I'm impressed with your foresight and courage to change agencies. I'm sure you've watched several adoptive parents suffer through these long delays (including us). I don't know anything about CHI, but I think you made a very wise decision.

Ryan and Amy said...

Hi Susan - I bet you are relieved and happy to write this - I know I was and felt like I had been keeping a secret from so many until we finally shared our good news. I am so excited we have been in close contact so that we can continue to follow along with your journey.

Allison said...

I'm so happy for you! I'm glad you had the courage to switch agencies; I can't imagine how scary that was for you. But it sounds like it was a wonderful decision. I can't wait to hear the great news that you have a referral!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Yes, you will.. It will all work out. Congratulations on your decision to take a leap and change agencies. Sounds like you may get a referral soon! I am so happy for you and can't wait to hear the good news when you do :)

Becky and Keith said...

Susan & Randy - I am so happy for you! Sounds like the change was a good decision for you. We've been talking about changing, but unfortunately would loose a decent amount of money. We've decided to give it until January and then make a decision. If we do switch, I'm sure we'll be contacting you to get info on the ins and outs! I can't wait to read how quickly things go for you! I understand the anxiety of "are we ready for it to happen this quickly" which is one of the reasons we've hesitated to switch! Sounds so sill after so many years. :-) Thanks for sharing your big news!

Carey and Norman said...

Congratulations. It sounds like things in the adoption world are going very well for you at this point. We are so glad you are excited about your decision and have peace to move forward. The ultimate goal for us all is to adopt children who need a forever family to love, nurture, and provide a stable environment. No matter our journey to our children, the ultimate outcome is the same!

We look forward to reading your blog as you journey ahead.

Jane and Jim said...

So, it looks like we're in the same situation! We have made the move as well. I'll write about it soon - congrats!! Hope we get our munchkins sooner rather than later!
j+j

Deb said...

Congratz on the move. Sounds like it will be a good move for you.

Robin said...

Sounds like you guys have made a great choice in switching. I am sure it will pay off and your little bundle of joy will be in your arms in no time.

Michelle said...

Congrats on this big leap! My name is Michelle and my husband and I also recently (October 12th) switched agencies. We got the good news today that we have "tentative travel dates" for November 17th or 24th!! We were so worried about making this switch but as you can see, it was the best decision we've made! Good luck!!

Dede said...

Sounds like the paperwork is moving right along. Can't wait to hear that you have your referral!

Joy said...

Susan,
I was so worried when you I posted that you cancelled your home study. I am so relieved that this was the reason why you cancelled the home study and nothing else. I pray for your referral. I hope that it comes really soon.
Joy

Steveg said...

I'm glad you guys made that decision. I think it's the right one and I know it will be the right one when in a short time you get a referral.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Susan & Randy,
I just stumbled onto your blog today from the CHI site. What a courageous decision you have made. I noticed that you are in Central Texas? I went to school at Baylor and we lived in Lorena for a few years -- are you close? We still have family in Texas and I miss home! I wish you the best on this journey and I look forward to reading about your progress!

Susan said...

Wendy we are just down the road from Waco in Harker Heights, its a suburb of Ft. Hood.

Mark and Sinziana said...

Susan & Randy, My name is Sinziana and we also just switched agencies! I know what you went through to make the decision and I wish you get a referral really soon! I am curious which agency you are now with. Congratulations!