Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again!

Sing it with me...'cause I'm back in the saddle again!' It has been crazy the past few weeks. I have had so much going on with school starting back that I haven't had a minute to blog. As you know I moved schools this year and moved to a new grade...Pre-K! Oh what fun Pre-K was. I liken the first few days of teaching Pre-K to herding cats. It's not something for the faint of heart. Pre-K kids are quite the challenge the first few days and I had a really good class; only a couple toots to keep me on my toes, like my beloved J who was in the class bathroom for several minutes when I heard him yelling, "crash, boom, bang". Worried, I opened the door to check on him, and saw him standing there buck nekked with a very startled look on his face as shreds of toilet paper were trickling to the ground like confetti at a parade. It was at that moment that I think I felt grey hair number 72 pop out of my head.

Anyway, our Pre-K numbers were "too low" at 14-15 per class and our Kinder numbers were high at 25-27 so the district made the decision to move me to Kinder, in the middle of the week, and on Thursday I got to move my ENTIRE classroom that was already fully set up, to the Kinder hallway and I was given a class this past Monday. Fortunately, my admin team helped me A LOT and the teachers on my grade level all pitched in and the move went smoothly. I have a great kindergarten class and I've really had fun with them the past few days. They walk in a straight line, they sing with you instead of watching you sing, and they have yet to strip themselves down to use the bathroom. (knock on wood) It's good to be back in Kindergarten.

And just to keep things interesting, I came down with a really bad cold after three days in Pre-K that is just now going away. As most of you know, I don't drink alcohol of any kind, but I was at the point in my head cold that I was chugging Robitussin straight from the bottle and following it up by wiping my mouth with the back of my sleeve and slamming the bottle down like a gunslinger in an old west film. Thank you Robitussin people, whoever you are!

We are less than one week away from our physicals. As soon as the doctor fills out the form, it will be lovingly placed in our home study packet and sent to our social worker and we will be finished with our home study paperwork!! We have heard that our referrals from our friends and family are starting to show up to the adoption agency so everything is moving along nicely (knocking on wood again) and we are looking forward to the next phase of the process.

4 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

I love the story about little J - made me laugh out loud! :-) Good luck with your physical! Sounds like you're almost done with the homestudy which is always a good feeling. Congrats on being back in Kindergarten! :-)

Allison said...

Love the comparison that likens teaching pre-K to herding cats. I've often had the same thought as I drop my two boys off at school in the morning. As I walk out I thank the heavens above that I do not have the job of trying to teach those kiddos!
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Nothing worse than a bad cold.
Good luck on your physicals! Sounds like you're moving right along.

Troy and Rachel said...

Wow - I would have dies laughing when I opened that door!! Glad to see you back and working on that homestudy!!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Wow, it sounds like you've had a lot going on! I'm glad the Kindergarten class is working out better for you since the transition! I hope your doctor's appointments go well! It will be a great feeling to have that home study completed-and so much of your dossier already done! :)