Monday, September 24, 2007

I'd Like to Thank the Academy...

That is what people say when they've been given an award right? Thank you for the emails and comments on "Blog of the Month". I was pretty surprised when CHI contacted me about it a few weeks back. I've never blogged before and I have no formal training (isn't it obvious) in writing. But I did have a great 2nd grade teacher named Mr. Gerard that loved to teach us creative writing. He was the coolest teacher to have in 1977 and he was your classic hippy. Long hair, scraggly beard, and he'd wear these huge, black biker boots everyday. He used to bring in his guitar and teach us songs like "House of the Rising Sun" and "Yellow Submarine". As a teacher today it amazes me that he got away with teaching seven year olds the lyrics to "House of the Rising Sun" but it was the 70's. Singing aside, the man did a great job instilling a love of writing in me and it's something I enjoy doing to this day.

I hope that my blogs can bring a smile to someones face and help put a little humor into the llllooonnnggg and sometimes painful road to being a parent that many of us are facing. There are just some things along this journey that you have to laugh about, otherwise you would go insane.

But beyond the "Blog of the Month" title, my greatest compliment came from my mother a few weeks ago when she started reading my blog. She told me, "You write like Erma Bombeck, very witty and funny." Wow, that was the BEST compliment anyone could give me and I wish I had just 1/10th of Erma's talent. I think I'm a pretty funny person and I like to make people laugh. Randy is THE funniest person I know, besides my dad, so I hope we get a child that loves to cut up and be silly just as much as his parents do, otherwise the poor boy is doomed to a lifetime of rolling his eyes over his parents sense of humor. I have faith that he will catch on, we'll make a class clown out of him in no time!

I'll leave you today with my favorite Erma Bombeck quote, "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say, 'I used everything that you gave me'."

7 comments:

Connie said...

Enjoyed your blog--found through CHI e-newsletter.

We didn't adopt through CHI, but are proud parents of two Siberian Princesses who came home with us almost 5 years ago at the ages of 12 1/2 and 9 yrs. old!

Tomorrow I'm taking our oldest to get her driver's license--my how time flies when you're parenting!!

Blessings and best wishes to you as you wait for your precious one!

Connie @ www.chosenchildofmine.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

What a wonderful post hope that your having a wonderful day!!

Anonymous said...

Hey tether-breath, nice job with the blog. Glad the money we spent on pencils and paper is paying off. Love you, keep up the great writing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I am claiming that compliment for myself and not sharing it with anyone else although there are other people to credit. Love, Mom

Carey and Norman said...

I'm catching up on your blog and it sounds like you are on your way to getting your paperwork done. I'm so glad that CHI responded so quickly. Isn't it funny how fast we want the paperwork to be finished. It is like we have goals set for ourselves and the sooner the better. We can't wait to hear good news soon and have fun working on all the Dossier paperwork. It actually isn't bad since so much of it is the same as you prepared for the home study. Good Luck!!

Loved the pictures of Bella. She's a doll. Happy Birthday to Bella and early Happy Birthday to you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan - Congratulations on your cool, new title!! I, too, enjoy reading your blogs. I read on Fridays to start my day out right. I totally agree w/ Mom. You have a great knack for writing. It was probably all the stories you wrote about me growing up. (having a pesky lil' sister) LOL!! It sounds like the process is moving quite rapidly... this is soooo exciting. Keep on chuggin' along.

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Congrats on receiving blog of the month! You are a good writer and have very funny posts! I hope things are going well with the paper chase!