I don't look like a baby today.
I love my books!
Today was a day of firsts; first bath in a tub, first car ride without barfing all over mom and dad, first time out at a restaurant, and first haircut. Today was a full day. We went to Artem’s medical visit for the Embassy. It was easy and fast. Our doctor, “Boris”, said he thinks the runny nose is due to the back molar and lower incisor Artem is cutting because he said his lungs are clear. I figured that was what was going on and it wasn’t “sinuses”. Artem screamed and screamed when the doctor was examining him and kept reaching his hands out to us. The doctor said it was a good sign of attachment and explained that the babies are very quiet in the baby home because they know no one will come get them but now he knows that his cries won’t go unanswered and we react when he cries. It was hard to see him lay there and cry to us and not be able to do anything for him but the news the doctor gave us about the attachments we are making was reassuring. Our car ride lasted about 15-20 minutes and did not involve any vomiting. Today Artem rode in the car seat and we took him to the appointment in his pajamas in case we had a repeat of Saturday. We put his molded plastic bib on that has the “tray” on the bottom, covered him from the waist down with a towel and put a very large plastic bag under his bib and covered his lap. We were very prepared this time. Luckily we didn’t have to employ our tactics. Whew!
After a nap we walked over to Mama’s Pasta by the US Embassy, our favorite Italian food in all of Russia and the USA. Artem loved the walk over and sat in the high chair for the first time. He flirted with the people sitting next to us, jabbered to the waitresses, and polished off two jars of food, spaghetti from grandma, ravioli from mama, and several pieces of bread; our bottomless pit!
Tonight we wanted to put Artem in the bathtub to get him used to having a bath as part of his bedtime routine. Randy put his swim trunks on and we provided Artem with some new tub toys in hopes of him enjoying the time. His first bath in the tub went over like a lead balloon! The neighbors probably heard him screaming through the cement walls. That’s going to take some work.
Bathtime fun??
After Artem’s bath I gave him a massage with his baby lotion and it really mellowed him out. After I stopped applying the lotion, I gave him the little bottle to hold onto and he started shaking it over his stomach like I did, like he was trying to get the lotion out like I did. Such a smart boy! I decided it was a good time to get rid of the Russian mullet he has been sporting and I gave him his first haircut. I only cut the back of his hair and it is by no means “professional” but it looks a lot better now and the hair won’t hang out the back of his hat. I brushed his hair, which he melts like butter when I do that, and then he tried to brush his own hair. We continue to be amazed by how much he copies us and how much he is learning and growing each day. We are very lucky!
Putting on my lotion
Tomorrow is an Embassy paperwork day and it will all be done at the apartment. We are hoping to meet up with Sally and Carlos and their new son to have some time for the boys to play. I’m looking forward to the boys seeing each other since Sally and Carlos were sitting next to us at the table the morning both of us received our referrals.
Boys will be boys!
20 comments:
Susan,
I am amazed to see how smooth things are going with little Artem! You guys are like pro's! Our first days with Diego were not that easy, strugging with the snow suit everytime we went out! At least you guys didn't have to deal with snow! I am very glad you guys are enjoying your little angle soo much!
Sinziana
What a handsome little boy! I'm happy to hear you didn't have any projectile vomit today. Artem looks so happy (disregarding the tub photo of course!). Good luck tomorrow!
He is precious. I'm impressed that you were brave enough to cut his hair.
It's also really scary how much of what we do they pick up and try to imitate.
Looking forward to more pictures and stories.
Good job on the haircut Mama! Hooray for the adjustment to riding in the car - here's hoping that a bathtime adjustment is right around the corner!
Oh MY, at that chunky baby!! Love the bath picture - we never got a good picture of the screaming, but that's pretty much what my own chunky baby looked like in the bath for the first several days. Pitiful! And that mullet looks familiar...I didn't get brave enough to pull out the scissors, though, while we were still in Russia...I'm notorious for giving scary haircuts!!!
I love the eye-contact - and seeing your own child do things, and hit developmental milestones is SO awesome, isn't it?!!
OK... I just continue to melt every time I see new pictures of you two with Artem. What a blessing you are to one another!!! Good job mom and dad! Enjoy, enjoy, ENJOY!!
XOXO
Tiff B
Liam was the same way with his first bath and now we can't get him out of there. Once you can get him to sit down and focus on a few toys he will be fine. What, you weren't feelin' the mullet?
Oh Susan, what a precious sweet smart little boy you have!!! Artem is so adorable, I just want to give him a big squeeze! You truly are blessed. I LOVE his new haircut! Farewell to the mullet :O)
I get chills everytime I cehck your blog and see those happy, smiling pictures! Artem is so precious and seems to be doing sooo well! I'm so happy for your family!
LOVE the haircut! He seems like he is really attaching to you guys already!
What a happy little guy! You can tell he is just DRINKING in all of the love and attention he is getting! I can't get enough of his happy smile!
Pozdravlyau!
It sounds like things are going great! Tatiana was the same way with baths for a couple weeks, but Thomas loved it right from the beginning.
Yea!! You finally have him! I'm just getting caught up on your blog and love all of the pictures! It sounds like he is attaching very well to you all and that you are having so much fun with him! I hope things continue to go very well and that you all continue to have great days with Artem! :)
Such a cutie!!! I hope bathtime gets better... that's a big fear of mine! He seems to love his playtime with daddy! Enjoy the rest of your stay! I can't wait to go to Mama's Pasta!
Susan- He is adorable! You all look so happy! Congratulations!
He is precious!
What an amazing little boy you have!! It sounds like things are going well for you and I am so glad that you are finally able to be the mom you were meant to be. I look forward to watching him grow !!
Sounds like everything is going great. Glad you had a vomit-free car journey! :)
Hannah was the same over the big bathtub at first. With her it was actually fear of the room (bright white and the sound echoing) rather than the actual bath itself. I'm sure Artem will quickly grow to love the tub!
You have a beautiful son!
Your family leaves me with tears of happiness! I can not get over how much he looks like his Daddy! I'm thrilled for you all!
Good job on the hair cut mom! I bet its nice to say bye-bye to the pink tights and the mullet.
I'm happy to read everything is going so smoothly. :)
Love the new photos!! He's such a cutie!
Post a Comment