Saturday, April 12, 2008

Gotcha Day!

We got him!! After seven years of trying to start a family, we finally got our son today! What a great day and an exhausting day. It’s just after 9:00 pm and Artem is finally down for the night. We found out his normal bedtime is 8:30 pm but I want to change that to an earlier time. We left for the baby home at 9:30 am and got lucky with only a 1 ½ hour drive to Fryazino. Normally when we go to the baby home we sign in and walk right back to Artem, but today for some reason we had to wait almost 30 minutes before we went back to see Artem. Everyone was busy getting lunch ready and the nurse wanted to look Artem over before he left. The director wasn’t there so we were not able to speak to her. The nurse said Artem has some “sinuses” but no fever. A caregiver brought him in and helped us get him dressed. She motioned if we wanted to keep the tights on him and I quickly said, “Nyet!!” No more tights for Artem. We got him dressed and she put some nose drops in his nose to help him with his “sinuses”. We presented all our gifts to the nurse and Pasha explained what they all were and who they were for. We gave them the shoes from Robeez and all the clothes and Desitin that we brought and all the pictures that other Fryazino families sent with us to give to the director. I expected a little more drama but it was really low key. We took a few pictures and then we were on our way.

Artem didn’t fuss or cry and we got in the car to go home and he started to fall asleep pretty fast. After a few miles, Randy mentions to me that he thinks Artem is doing really good and thought it would be harder. WRONG THING TO SAY! Lesson learned, don’t ever jinx yourself when it comes to a baby. After a few minutes, Artem begins to get car sick and projectile vomit all over me and all over Randy. Luckily we had a plastic bag but the damage was already done. Toddler breakfast was all over my sweater, all over my pants, all over Randy’s pants and all over the sweat shirts we had tucked between us in the backseat. Artem starts to profusely sweat and I take his sweater off of him. He was ghost white and had no color in his lips at all. He looked miserable but he never cried and just looked at us with the most pitiful look on his face. A few more rounds of vomit come shooting out but Randy manages to catch them in the bag. By this time it’s coming out Artem’s nose when he’s throwing up and I can’t figure out how this child has any food or liquids left in his stomach but he does. Little man threw up all the way home for the rest of our 1 ½ hour drive. At one point we had so much puke covering us that we asked Pasha to pull over so we could get out and try to clean up. We cleaned up as much as we could with the baby wipes and got back in the car and drove off. About a mile later Randy asks me if I got the wipes off the roof of the car. Nope, we drove off and left them on the roof which means we are left with half a travel pack of Kleenex left and at least another hour ahead of us. To make a long story short, Artem was miserable, we were miserable and as soon as we got to our apartment, Randy jumped out and took Artem out of the car as fast as he could.

After getting ourselves cleaned up and getting Artem cleaned up, I put on a tank top and put Artem on my chest and lay down on the couch for a couple hours so he could rest. After he woke up, we fed him some baby food and then spent some time on the floor reading with him and playing with his stacking cups. He is cutting his lower incisors right now so on top of being congested and car sick, he’s teething. Amazingly he did really well considering all he had been through today. He does not want to leave my side and I had to put him in the mei tai sling and carry him around the apartment with me. He spent over 2 hours in the sling today and never let out a peep the whole time he was in the sling. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a sling for anyone getting ready for trip 3. We brought an umbrella stroller with us too but he just needed to be close to me in the sling.

Artem has been a great eater so far and will shake his head “no” when he is finished. Even though he can feed himself we are doing all the feeding to help with attachment issues. He is quite the snuggle bunny and will be playing and all of a sudden stop and look right at us and smile. He loves to play with my teeth (I have no idea why) and continually tries to put his finger up my nose. He must get that from his father! LOL Tomorrow will be another low key day. Monday we will have to get in the car again and start his appointments. We are praying for an easier time in the car. Despite all the hoopla of the day, Artem has been an incredible baby and really easy going so far. We are truly blessed and can’t believe how lucky we are to have him. Life is so good!

We are having trouble with our international dialing and the rental company said they would come out and fix it as soon as possible. Mom and dad, I’ll call you as soon as we can. Of course I am leaving you with a few pictures of our day. Enjoy!












36 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is so full seeing that picture of you leaving the building, Artem in hand!!! Congratulations, Mama and Papa!!!!!

Benadryl helps my kids with carsickness, fyi.

Much love and happiness to the THREE of you!!

Laura (zachytacky)

Jodi said...

I'm sooo happy to read this and know that Artem is with you!! The ride back from the orphanage sounds like it was miserable, but hopefully that's the worst of it! Can't wait to meet you guys when you get back and get settled!

Anonymous said...

He looks so happy! But how could he not be - he is finally HOME!! I am so happy for you! I am crying tears of joy! WELCOME HOME ARTEM!!

Anonymous said...

Susan and Randy, you are my true heroes. I am so happy to have been able to watch you build a family. I can't wait to watch Artem grow up in your loving arms.

Carrie said...

I am so happy for your family. Sounds like it was a rough start but it only gets better from here. We are in an apartment on Novy (sp?) Arbat Street. Maybe we will see you around. We go to the embassy on Monday.

Lauren said...

So so thrilled for you Susan! Praying the rest of your journey home will be uneventful and a wonderful bonding time.

Frogmorest said...

I am just so happy to see his wonderful smile and see how ECSTATIC you both are. He's adorable. You both are so very blessed... *happy tears* again :)

love
Tammy (frogmorest sn)

Jane said...

What a gorgeous family you all make! Artem is a beautiful little boy. What an initiation into parenthood! Caroline got incredibly car sick and airsick all the way home from Russia (just to warn you!) and she still gets carsick to this day; we keep a towel handy at all times!

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled for you all . . . what a beautiful family you make. Hugs to you all!

Best,
Whitney (Scout from SN)

Alexis Jacobs said...

So excited for your whorle family. Congrats and many blessings.

Over-Caffeinated said...

Susan and Randy, you are now officially baptized into the parents club... you must be puked on by a kid at least once to qualify. Congratulations! :) I ditto the Benadryl post, it was a lifesaver on more than one car trip for us with our middle guy.

Congratulations again... the fun has only just begun! :)

Ondrea

Tiger & Kar said...

Congratulations Susan, Randy & Artem! What a beautiful family. Sorry to hear about the car ride back to the apartment. That doesn't sound fun for any of you! Regardless, you finally have your little boy!

Stephany said...

Oh how beautiful to see your family photo leaving the baby house. Again you have brought tears to my eyes...
God Bless you All...

Anonymous said...

Susan and Randy,
Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Congratulations on uniting with your beautiful son. I've shed many tears of happiness looking at the wonderful video and photos.

JulieB from SN

Katie said...

A HUGE congrats to your new little family! I still can't get over how much Artem already looks like such a part of your family. He looks like he has been in your arms from day one. LOVE his new stylin' outfit :-) What a cutie!

Hugs,
Katie (Jeff & AK too)

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

What an amazing family! Artem has the most beautiful smile and I just love his hair. (My boys were all bald until their 2nd birthday.) Your video brought tears to my eyes. Congratualations and safe travels home!

Anonymous said...

So fantastic! You've experienced so much of parenting in less than 24 hours! :) Puking isn't a desired event for any parent, but when it's your own child.. it doesn't seem to bother you as much! Glad you guys have that out of they way.... :) Praying little man gets to feeling better and gets over motion sickness easily and so happy you could find it in your heart to donate his tights back to the baby home. :) Love, hugs and kisses to the 3 of you!
XOXO
Tiff

Kris said...

I'm sure not even projectile puking spoiled your day one bit! Congrats on Gotcha Day! You and Randy are now, officially, what you have always been in your hearts~~Mom and Dad!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Parenthood! When we left Kirov, one of the babies was motion sick and threw up all over his mommy and daddy on the 14 hour train ride into Moscow. It is amazing how crazy the intiation into parenthood can be when you are adopting! God Bless you 3! You make a gorgeous family!
Dana~ Cade's Momma

Hyun Joo said...

I can totally said this to Artem..he has Hot momma and proud Daddy..

We are so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that the wait is finally over for you! Artem already looks so comfortable with the two of you.

It's too bad that you didn't get to see Tamara.

Ryan and Amy said...

Artem is so adorable. He looks like a very happy boy. You will someday have plenty of laughs over your vomiting adventure. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo very happy for the 3 of you!!
Happiness and blessings,
LeeAnn

Michelle said...

Congrats!! I have been waiting to read this post all day!! He is such a cutie and you guys make a beautiful family!! Hope you have a safe (& clean) trip home soon!!

Mark and Sinziana said...

You guys look adorable as a family! He is a cutie and has a beautiful smile! Congratulations on your Gotcha Day!
Sinziana

Chris said...

Congrats on your Gotcha Day! We are so incredibly happy for you! I hope that Artem feels better, and your car trips are easier. In the last picture, Artem looks like Randy.

You'll be home soon!

Rob said...

Congrats guys!

Sounds like a bit of a rocky start, but if you aren't quite there yet, you'll soon be able to laugh about it.

I know that if I had left a box of baby wipes on top of the car, Dede wouldn't soon let me forget about it...

Seriously tho, we're really thrilled for you guys! You've been in our thoughts & prayers.

Becky and Keith said...

I'm catching up on everything and first let me say CONGRATS! Second, those movies were awesome! I showed them to Keith last night and we loved watching them. Enjoy your first days with Artem - I'm so very, very happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from a Swedish - English couple in Germany.
Eva and David

Lindsay said...

Well, you'll never forget that car journey, that's for sure! :)

A huge congratulations - I am beyond happy that your family is finally together and you can begin your lives together.

I hope Artem makes a speedy recovery from his 'sinuses' and you have no repeat of the car sickness tomorrow. If you ever find the secret to ending the fascination with teeth please post! Hannah is still obsessed with this!

I hope the rest of your visit goes smoothly for you all.

Best wishes.

Unknown said...

OMG he is SO CUTE! And I'm sure you need some time to think this, but your drive story is hilarious! What an adventure you've been on. I am SOOOOOOOOO happy for you! :D 5 years for us, 7 for you and we've both got our sons!!! WOW!!! xo

- *Ginger* on SN

Beth said...

Congrats Susan and Randy! What a wonderful family photo of all of you! Sorry to hear about the car ride, but Artem sounds like he was a trooper! Enjoy your last week in Moscow. I second the carrier idea. We had Jaxon in a Ergo baby carrier (since he is a big boy!) and it was awesome - he loved it too!

Jane and Jim said...

Congratulations - FINALLY!!!!!
Your day has come to be a family and you a make a beautiful one!

Good luck on the rest of the trip.

Dede said...

Congrats! Can you believe it's finally over? We are so happy for you guys. Sorry you had to go through projectile vomiting but hey, it's preparing you for other stuff to come! ;-)

Have a safe trip home!

Dede said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ron and Dinia said...

Preveet!

Congrats guys!

As I looked at the pictures of you leaving the home with your son my thoughts go to the song that talks about "I'm headed for a better life!"

Artem is really precious and I just love his smile!

Paka!

Dinia