Monday, April 21, 2008

Settling In

We survived the flight home and I'm glad to say we don't ever have to do that again. It was a steep learning curve for these rookie parents. Who knew that our son, who uses three diapers a day, would be on his seventh diaper by the time we were reaching Canada? We thought we were doing good to bring five along for the trip. Also, who knew that feeding Artem cauliflower and carrots on the flight would make him soooooo gassy that his pint-sized farts would cause passengers to turn around in their seats to see where the foul odor was coming from? Rookies!!

Artem is having a great time exploring his new home. He loves to play in his bedroom and went straight for his toy helicopter the first time he walked into his room. He toddles through the different rooms babbling and laughing. He met Bella on Sunday and wasn't very happy to see her, matter of fact he screamed when ever she got near him, but now he calls to her and says, "woof woof" whenever he gets near her.

He has met our neighbors and we have taken several walks in the neighborhood. He loves to swing on our porch swing and be outside. Car rides are going well and the kids Cd's I have in the car have been a huge hit. Artem loves music and wiggles his hands and claps whenever he hears it. We went to the mall to get him some shoes since he only has one pair that fit him, and he started bouncing up and down and wiggling his head side to side when he heard the rap music at Foot Locker.

Nap time and bedtime continue to be an issue for us as they have been since day one of getting him from the baby home. He fights going to sleep and starts to cry as soon as we begin to walk towards his room for nap or bedtime, but will happily play in his room when it's not nap time or bedtime. We rock him to sleep in his room and as soon as we put him down he wakes up and starts screaming. Within a few minutes he'll fall asleep and will sleep solid, but in the meantime he just screams and screams.

I haven't taken a lot of pictures mainly because I've just been busy with Artem and making sure he's well adjusted to us and the house. Right now my house looks like someone picked it up and gave it a good shake but a happy baby is what we are focusing on right now instead of tidying up the house. I figure once he goes to school for Kindergarten, I'll have time to straighten up the house. Ha Ha!

19 comments:

Carrie said...

So glad you are home. Our flight was crazy too. But we all survived!!! Sam has the same sleep issues. I hate to hear him cry but I am thankful he sleeps so well.

Have fun and enjoy that baby!!!

Rob said...

Great to hear that you guys are home, safe & sound!

"Right now my house looks like someone picked it up and gave it a good shake..."

Oh man, does that seem familiar!

Jodi said...

I'm so glad to hear you're home and starting to settle in. I almost went to the Killeen airport to welcome you guys, but didn't want you to feel like I was stalking you! :) Thanks for the update! I've been thinking about you!

yorkiemom said...

Glad to hear you all made it home safe and sound.

Sorry to hear about bed and naptime. We went through the same thing, our little A just hated anything to do with sleep. And I hated to hear him so miserable. It's gotten much better so don't worry there is hope :)

Beth said...

Glad to hear you are home and settling in with Artem! I stopped picking up toys (although all the bending was probably good for my waistline!) until the end of the day :) Enjoy every second of your time with Artem!

Becky and Keith said...

Welcome home!! Get used to the messy house - you have 18 more years of it! :-)

Unknown said...

Randy must've been happy he went straight for the helicopter! :D Austin went through that screaming thing at bed time, too. I'm wondering if it's a stage thing, as well as an adjustment thing. It's so hard to hear them scream, but it'll pass soon. {{{HUGS}}}

Joy said...

I am glad to hear that you are home and safe. Enjoy the shaken home. I bet you would not have it any other way right now.
Joy

Joy said...

I am glad to hear that you are home and safe. Enjoy the shaken home. I bet you would not have it any other way right now.
Joy

Antoine & Lori said...

I'm so happy for your family -- welcome home!

Lori

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I'm glad you made it home safely! That is great that he is doing well in his carseat. Bedtime was tough for us in Russia and, although it took an hour tonight, it has gone much better since we came home. I hope that happens for Artem too. Have a great first week home! :)

Chris said...

That was too funny! I busted a gut reading about your trip home. I guess you probably deserved getting gassed out for feeding a toddler cauliflower! Too funny!

Mission Accomplished! Glad you are settling in nicely.

Lindsay said...

Glad you got home safely. I was laughing out loud over your gas-ploits!

We continue to have many of the sleep issues 4 months home. It's tough, but hang in there. I continually see improvements and although they are not always consistently maintained, Hannah's tolerance to being held and rocked, and her hyper-vigilance are getting better.

Have a wonderful first week home with your son.

Melissa said...

So glad you made it home, and are settling in. Your plane ride sounds like it was so...fun! ;) The sleep issues WILL get better with a bit of time. I can remember rocking Iliya to sleep - only to have him wake up as soon as his head hit the pillow. It was every frustrating for me. We ended up doing some co-sleeping (which is something I swore I would never, ever do) mostly in the middle of the night, when I was too tired to fight a sleep battle... and he ended up adjusting to his bed. It took a while for him to sleep all the way through the night in his own bed...but it came.

So all that to say "hang in there!" Lots of us feel your pain! The main thing is to stay with him, so he knows he's not alone (you know that, though).

Your house is now a victim of "shaken house syndrome" - and I guess Becky is right, it will be that way for another 15-20 more years!! :)

Melissa said...

p.s., shoot, I knew there was one other thing I wanted to mention & I forgot! I'd bet that he has giardia, if his gas is so stinky. Iliya had that very same issue - none of the other symptoms of giardia, though. And as it turns out, after he took the meds for giardia, the ultra stinky gas went away!! A miracle!! :)

Okay, I'll hush now. :)

the Horvaths said...

Welcome home. Sounds like the flight was quite an adventure. You made it though! I know you probably all need some rest so I will pray that Artem feels more peaceful at bedtime and nap time. It will all work out soon. You are making him feel safe and loved already, so the sleeping will get easier soon. I know you prepared yourself for that, you are doing the right things!

Anonymous said...

So glad you guys made it home safely! We can't wait to see Artem and visit with new Mommy, too!! :)

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hi, Susan!

I'm so happy to see you made it home safely and are settling in as the Mommy of a VERY bright toddler! I can just picture Artem "boogieing" (is that a word?) to the music at Foot Locker!! So so cute!

Oh the sleep!! I just commented on Rachel's blog about how tough sleep was for quite a while. Owen didn't wake up when his head hit the pillow, but if he woke up it took hours to get him back to sleep! We were up for hours and hours at night with him. I wonder if Artem is afraid you are going to leave so he is crying. Does he cry when he wakes up in the night or in the morning like he might be scared or wondering where you went? I never thought I'd co-sleep and didn't with Owen, but I think back now and sometimes wish we had. I can't believe I'm saying that but I am. I think it would have been very good for his attachment and to help him feel safe and that he could depend on us to be there when he woke up and was alone, especially being in a new place, something he'd never felt before us. The good news is either way IT WILL GET BETTER! Owen loves his room and looks forward to going to bed. It's so cute when he's sitting in his highchair after lunch and dinner and looking so sleepy, I'll say "Are you getting sleepy?" and he says "Night night" and puts his thumb in his mouth every single time. He immediately calms when he's in his room. IT WILL GET BETTER! Hang in there :)

As for the gas...whoo! Owen's was bad too! He did not have any parasites or anything wrong with his tummy...he was just getting used to eating many new foods and much more food so we had TONS of dirty diapers (and explosions!) at first and lots of stinky gas. It went away though as his tummy adjusted to all the new stuff :)

You're doing a great job, and Artem is absolutely adorable and SO smart! I can't wait to follow as he adjusts and things get easier. You will then be able to fully enjoy him so much more!! You'll look back on these little stories and they will be sweet memories...exhausting ones, but still sweet :)

Welcome home, Mommy!

Over Caffeinated Mama said...

Welcome home. Enjoy that baby! And as for the "never have to do the flight again" comment, never say never. My husband has said two times he would never do that again and look who's going to Russia in 11 days! :)

Just enjoy your boy. Take photos, no matter how many you take, it won't be enough. The time goes by too quickly and they change so fast, you won't even recognize him in six months. Eight years into parenthood, if I've learned one thing it's that the days can be eternal, but the years are gone in a flash!

Ondrea