Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Go Time for Operation Double A

One of my co-workers had a hard time remembering Artem's name when we went to Russia for trip 1 but she wanted to remember him in her prayers each night, so she began referring to Artem Alexander as "Double A" to make it easy on her. Two and a half months after meeting Double A, it's "go time" for our final trip!! 24 hours to go before my girlfriend comes to get me for the airport. For those of you that don't do mental math (raising my hand) I will be picked up at 4:30 a.m. for the ride to the airport with a 6:00 a.m. departure time. I'm facing another 7 hour layover in Atlanta and according to the Delta website, a very full flight. I've been spoiled with lightly booked flights and I've been able to stretch out and sleep for the 10 hours but that doesn't look like the case this time.

I am just about packed; only my makeup and shampoos to go. It wasn't easy packing for a child that I don't "know". I packed multiple types of pajamas in case he's a hot sleeper or cold sleeper. I've got long sleeve onesies and short sleeve onesies since the forecast in Moscow changes half way through our trip. The first part is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 60's and the last half is supposed to be rainy and low 50's with evening temperatures in the 30's. I packed quiet toys and noisy toys, blankets, stuffed animals, toy cars, books, tub toys, and a brand new Gloworm for Artem to snuggle with at night. Artem's diaper bag is fully armed with baby medicines in case he gets sick while we are there. His sling is packed and stroller is ready to go. The cameras and Zune are charged. Passport is packed, along with paperwork that our agency has asked us to hand carry to Russia for other families. (let's hope this gets Tiger and Kar their court date!) Three families that adopted children from our baby home sent pictures for me to give to the director to show how much their children have grown. I've just got to stop tonight at the grocery store and get my Milk Duds to go along with my Slim Jims which I've already packed. I'm doing good with getting everything ready and hopefully tonight I can chill out and watch some mindless TV show before the big day tomorrow.

I super-cleaned the house this weekend since my always tidy house is about to be turned upside down by a 1 1/2 year old. I had a little "chat" with the house and prepped it for tropical storm Artem that is about to hit. I said "goodbye" to my clean glass front door, told my shiny floors "adios", and bid my quiet living room "farewell". I let the house know that all of this will be replaced with the sound of little hands tapping on the glass door when they see daddy pulling up out front, little feet toddling around on the shiny floors, and the giggles and squeals of a toddler playing in the living room with a lovable chocolate lab. Yep, this place doesn't even know how much it's going to change; and all for the better.

24 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm so excited for you, Susan. I've been thinking about you so much this week and praying that your pick up trip goes smoothly and that the transition goes well for all of you! Can't wait to hear he's with you!

Dede said...

We've got those little handprints all over our house and I don't even care anymore. They are so worth it! Wishing you safe travels and I can't wait to see the post of the 3 of you as a new family!

Melissa said...

Yep... Tropical Storm Artem is a great way to phrase it! If he's anything like my Tropical Storm Iliya!! :)

Safe travels to you... Can't wait to read more! (by the way, you have my phone number and email. If you need to talk, feel free to call any time of the day or night!!)

Joy said...

How cool that you are leaving to scoop him up. I et you do not sleep at all tonight.
Congratulations.
Joy

Over-Caffeinated said...

Finally, a post! I have been blog stalking you for days and I couldn't wait to see this... I love how you always announce everything in military terminology. Now I'll be stalking for photos of the little man.

Thanks so much for taking the photos over for me. I have chills as I am sitting here thinking of how much Artem's life is about to change, far more than the changes that are about to happen in your home. You and Randy have been preparing for him for a long time, he has been longing for you and didn't even know it. God is about to fulfil you both!

God's speed on your journey and post those photos the minute you have him, we're all anxious to see his little face! :)

Beth said...

Susan - Have a safe and wonderful trip back to Moscow! Can't wait to see photos of Artem with his Mommy and Daddy. There is nothing better than a house full of laughter and messiness of a child!

Anonymous said...

So excited...your life is about to change forever...good-bye clean floors, welcome wonderful chaos!! Thinking of you and Randy. Can't wait to hear you are all home!

Sherri

Frogmorest said...

*tears* I cannot WAIT until you get to have him home to snuggle and we get to read all about it! Phoenix LOVES his gloworm and sleeps with it every night... :) So excited for you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Susan - I am so excited for you and Randy! :) I cannot wait to see a pic of Artem - you have me obsessed with adoption, now!

I am so happy for all three of you - big prayers going with you for a smooth transition for your little guy.

I know that your house will never be happy than with a little one to mess it up!

Susan from SN

Tiger & Kar said...

If you get any sleep at all tonight I will be very surprised!

I can't wait to read your posts from Moscow and hear that you finally have Artem in your arms. Have safe travels, give Artem a big hug & kiss from me, and thank you again for carrying our documents!!

Hugs,
Karyn

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Oh, Susan, I'm so excited for you!! Tropical Storm Artem is a name that may just stick with him!! :) Oh how I wouldn't trade anything for my slobbery window panes and scratched wooden floors, and I'm sure you'll feel the very same way. I can't wait to see pictures and hopefully videos of little Artem leaving his mark on his new home! :O) Hooray! It's almost time! Can't wait to see Artem in his adorable new clothes too! Your time has come, Mommy!

Ali Hayward said...

Dear Susan, I am SO excited for you, *tears of joy here*

As an adopted person, now grown, I know how important it is to be adopted into a good, solid, loving home. The process seems so long for the parents to be but the choice has to be 100% right!

And even though I don't know either of you, other than through SN and your blog, it's so obvious that this decision is 100% right - in fact 101% right!

It's not long at all now and you will all be together. Yes we want pictures, and to hear the story... of course we do! BUT please put the three of you first... get to know each other as mummy, daddy and son. They are new roles which change the dynamics forever!

Artem is not going away - he's yours, safe and secure in your love.

These first days are very special days. You will never have them again. Enjoy them, celebrate them and most of all allow them to be YOUR days. They are too precious to be anything other. Everyone elses expectations can wait a little!

Relax, bask in your joy and just 'be'.

Aliboo from SN

Lindsay said...

I've been counting down the days till you are able to return for your little man. I am so happy for you and Randy. Have a safe and easy journey to Artem, Susan.

God speed till he is safe in your arms.

(P.S. what is the first song playing on your blog just now? I love it!)

Leeks and Chocolate said...

Oh susan, i'm so excited for you. I just can't wait to see the pictures of little Artem at home with mommy and daddy ! Godspeed my friend. X

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the description of you telling your house what's coming up!!! That's so precious!

Oh, little dude, you're so in for a life of love....


Laura (zachytacky)

Robin said...

I am so excited for you Susan! Have a safe trip going to pick up your son! Can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures!

Anonymous said...

Just so happy for you!!!! Safe travels.

Natasha (Islandmom)

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for updates. So happy for you all. Thinking of you and hoping for a safe journey.

Marcia (SN elliejan)

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Congratulations and Good luck! The day you have been waiting for is finally here!

Kelley - a very JunqueyGal! said...

I'm so thrilled that you're almost on your way to Double A!! Your beautiful post of preparing your house for your little wonder brought tears to my eyes. I wish you a smooth flight there & back. Be gentle with yourself as you learn your little guy, and all his little quirks and wishes. This momma work can be smooth sailing one minute, and a complete puzzle the next!

Wishing you all the very best! Kelley

Ryan and Amy said...

You are so right about all those little prints and dirty floors but they are so going to worth it. Can't wait to hear you are home with Double A for good!

Antoine & Lori said...

Bon voyage, Susan and Randy! I'm so thrilled for you three. I remember how amazing it was to be a family of three when we picked up Simone. You'll be overcome with the wonder of it all from time to time!

As for the house, tapping on the glass door when daddy comes home is probably breaking it to the house gently. We get shrieks, and I'm sure y'all will, too.

Godspeed.

Lori

flute4peace said...

Can't wait to see "Double A" home!!! Blessings to you on your trip and as you bond with him!

Nikki (HFD23)

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Your journey is just beginning - and how precious the time!
Can't wait to read the latest update AND see the newest pics from Russia!!
Godspeed!