I have come to realize that I am typing my blog posts assuming everyone knows all the lingo and the process for international adoption. Since I'm getting asked the same questions from different friends and family, I realized I need to explain what is coming up in the next week for us.
First of all, this will be visit number one and we will only meet the baby on this visit. We should meet them on Monday and have 4 days to spend with them. On Friday Randy and I will be at the hospital in Moscow to complete our 8 doctor physical. I can't remember all the doctors we'll be seeing but people say it goes quickly that day. Moscow likes to make sure we are really, really healthy before they send one of their children to live with us and to top it off they charge $740 each for the appointments. Saturday we will leave to come home. We are flying out of Killeen to Atlanta, Atlanta to Moscow. Atlanta to Moscow is only a 10 hour flight which will be a walk in the park after flying both of us flying to Korea and Randy flying to Iraq.
Second, the Visa applications I refer to are not credit cards. We must have a Visa from Russia that attaches to our passports and allows us entry into the country. Since we had such short notice we had to pay $200 each for next day service and the cost to expedite the Fed Ex process cost us another $115. These Visas will only allow us to get into the country this one time. The second trip will require us to apply for new Visas and pay the fees all over again. We did have to contact our credit card company to let them know that we would be in Russia and not to put a security alert on our account and block our charges once they see Russian charges coming in.
Third, we have requested either a boy or a girl under 18 months old and said we are open to twins. Most likely the referral will be for a boy, but you never know what God has in store for us. The youngest the child could be is 9 months old. We have the option to have a Russian doctor exam the baby before we accept the referral. We could have a lot of background information on the child and we could have very little.
Fourth, we are not permitted to post pictures of the child on our blog. We can share pictures to friends and family but the Russian government does not want us to post pictures until we go to court and the adoption is finalized. We are allowed to take as many pictures and videos that we want when over in Russia, we just can't post them on the blog.
Lastly, the court date should be 4-6 weeks after our first visit. This is what the Moscow region is running right now. Of course there are always things that change these dates but it is a good rule of thumb. After the court date there is a 10 day waiting period and we will not have the baby with us. After the 10 days is up we have our "Gotcha Day" where we get to take them home from the orphanage and they are all ours!!
Lastly lastly, :-) we have a for sure name picked out if we are referred a girl. We have part of a name picked out for a boy. We want to see what their Russian name is as we are not opposed to using their Russian name for their first name or as a middle name.
I think that is it for now and I hope this helps with some of the confusion. We are making great progress on getting ready to go. All we have to do is pack. My friend Wanda and future sister in law Amy are hosting a shower for me two weeks after we return so I've had to get my list together for them along with addresses but those women are on a mission and when they say "jump" I say "how high?" :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
It's so great they're having the baby shower after you return, when you'll know all the details about the baby! And it will be a fun way to pass the time while you're waiting for that 2nd trip. Hope the packing is going well!
Can't wait for you guys to get here so we can hear all about your referral. I'm so excited for you!!! One other tid bit is that the 10 day wait starts the day after court and each day except Sunday counts. You pick the child up on the 10th day. There seems to be some confusion on that.
Sending wishes your way for safe travels and lots of joy when you meet your baby on Monday!
Great post explaining it all! I'm just sooo excited for you! Isn't it so surreal to think that next week at this time life will have a completely new perspective??!
Susan- That is awesome that you are leaving already! Excited to read you rblog in country! Maybe you will get to see Rob and Dede over there. I follow both of your blogs as our family is also waiting to adopt from Russia. Good luck to you!
Ok, you keep saying 'them' in your post...Hmmmm, twins?? That would be soooo cool!
I hope you're able to blog when you're over there.
Congrats again - you must be jumping out of your skin with excitement!
So glad things over in Moscow are moving quickly. Cannot wait to hear more!
I am so excited for you. Reading about this makes it so real for me. That one day I will be the one posting taht I am leaving on a jet plane.
Joy
So happy that things are finally moving for you. Safe journey and have a wonderful time in Russia.
I'm getting so excited for you. I just cannot believe how quickly you will be leaving for Moscow. I think your explanations were great and very helpful for friends, family, and those just beginning the adoption process.
Good luck and safe travels!
So can you blog from Russia? I don't think I will be able to wait until you guys get back. I have been waiting soooo many years for this!! The suspense is gonna get me...
I wish you the most wonderful journey when you leave tomorrow. May all your years of struggle and heartbreak vanish in the instant you meet the child God has intended for you and Randy to parent with all the love you have to give!
Be safe and Godspeed!
Just a quick post to let you know you've been on my mind! The time is finally here...you're leaving for Russia and you're about to meet the newest most important person in your life! May it be a trip of a lifetime!
Randy and Susan - good luck on your flight and on your referral on Monday! Doug and I (also Army folks - we are both at BAMC in San Antonio) will still be in Moscow on our last trip while you are in town. We are currently in the middle of our 10-day waiting period. Will pick up our son Matthew on the 8th. We are staying one building away from you guys on Novy Arbat so call us if you need anything or want to get together. Our phone is: 291-2058 as of late Monday night (the 4th). We are currently in St. Petersburg for the weekend and return to Moscow on Monday.
Kathy and Doug Boyer
Post a Comment