First of all, thank you so much for all the emails and comments of support! They really mean a lot. My friends Melissa and Robin came over last night and brought me Ben and Jerry's ice cream, chocolate cake, and Dove dark chocolate candies. They said they couldn't let me have a pity party without the essentials. It still feels like the news yesterday was just a bad dream and I'll wake up from it.
Our agency contacted me at lunch yesterday to let me know the news and when I called them back to get the full story I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. My students were at recess and once I brought them in and was getting them ready to go to music I felt the tears coming on. I called the office and my wonderful admin team took my kiddos to music and told me to go home. My grade level got my class covered for the rest of the afternoon and after I boo hoo'd to them for a little while longer, I left and came home. I was greeted by Bella, who was more than happy to snuggle in bed with me and lick my tears away while I had my pity party. Thank goodness for chocolate labs!
According to our agency, DHL is completely ambivalent to this news and has been absolutely no help at all with the situation. Our agency of course is just sick about it and have been on the phone non-stop with DHL but it has proved futile. DHL is saying that it looks like someone thought money was involved in the envelopes and when they found out there wasn't any inside, they tossed our dossier to the side and now it is lost. There was another dossier in the box along with papers for families that are getting ready to go to court. It stinks that our dossier is gone but at least we aren't waiting for our court date with a baby waiting for us in Russia and are handed this setback. I really feel bad for the families in that position. We are very concerned about the confidential paperwork that is involved being lost. We are thinking we should put an alert on with the credit agencies just in case all the confidential information falls into the wrong hands. Our agency told us that all the money we have to spend on getting everything re-done will be deducted from the agency fees so we aren't paying twice. Fortunately, Texas has the $100 cap on adoption apostilles that we've already met so all the new apostilles that we will have to get will not cost us any additional money. My school secretary notarized all our documents at no charge and I know she'll gladly do all of them over for us. So it doesn't look like redoing the dossier will cost us much financially, just our time. At this point I have NO FAITH in DHL and Ana and Russ have offered to hand carry our dossier to Russia with them when they travel in February. I'm seriously considering this option.
Seven years ago this month, we got our first negative on a home pregnancy test and that just fueled my pity party mentality, like it was another sign that we are not meant to be parents. Poor Randy and Susan. But then I think about my friend Shannon that had to say goodbye to her husband and father of her children yesterday after he was killed in Iraq on Dec 26. Shannon had to see the Westboro church protesters from Kansas stand outside of the funeral home and protest her husband's memorial service and shout terrible things at her and her children; and all of a sudden reality smacks me upside the head. All we lost was paper, yes it was a setback and an inconvenience but at the end of the day, we have our health, the utilities in the house are working, the bills are paid and we have each other. We really can't complain. We'll just pick ourselves up and move forward.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
Susan - so happy to hear that you are not giving up on your dreams of a little one. I admire your strength and perserverance! I just know you will have that dossier done in record time :) As Ana and Russ have offered, we too would be more than happy to carry your dossier over with us in February.
After the grief we had with DHL sending our passports with visas to the wrong state & city just 24 hours before our flight to Moscow, I was ready to be done with them. But this certainly seals the deal. I'm floored that they aren't more concerned about this. They should be bending over backwards to do whatever they can to help you recover from this.
Well, anyway, take another deep breath and try to put this horrible experience behind you. I can only imagine how discouraging this is for you guys.
You guys are in our thoughts! Hang tough and take comfort in knowing that it's just another hurdle on the way to your parenthood. You've leapt past others and you can overcome this too!
I am glad that you are managing to stay positive. Keep the faith, don't lose hope and forge ahead. I know when you bring your child home for the first time it will all be worth it in the end.
I am so happy to hear you're moving forward! Chocolate Labs & dark chocolate can cure nearly anything - - or at least offer tons of comfort!
I know you're still frustrated and angry and I hate that you're going through this. We're all still thinking of you & Randy & praying for you as well.
Try to enjoy the rest of your weekend and restart the dossier on Monday.
You have every right to hold a pity party. Thats a lot of work to have to redo. But when its over you'll just be focused on what you need to do and since its already all been done once, you know exactly what needs to be done.
Your friend Shannon and her family will be in my thoughts. What a terrible tragedy, especially at the holidays.
Laura (& Andres)
YEAH SUSAN!!! That's right...it's paper - paper that will someday be a distant memory (and perhaps a good laugh...ok - someday in the distant future). Good choice and trust me - the minute you hold your child you will forget this pain.
Susan-I'm so sorry to hear about your dossier! I can't believe DHL has been so unfriendly and unhelpful with the whole thing. Please don't give up! I hope that you can get everything redone very quickly and be back on track. I will be praying for you as you work on things. God has known that your child in Russia would be your child since the beginning of time, and He knew all of the challenges you would face in the process to become a parent. He will work out the details and help you through redoing your dossier so that you can get to that perfect child He has chosen for you! I hope that you meet that little boy very soon!
I'm so glad to read your more upbeat post today. I can't imagine how it feels for you to start over, but you can do it! If there's ANYTHING I can do, please just let me know! Once you get it all redone, we really should get together and celebrate! :)
Susan,
I knew you were too determined to quit.
Joy
Susan,
I'm so sorry....much love and hugs to you...
Hyun Joo
I am glad you are you better today. I hope the essentials helped! Hang in there.
I am so glad you are ready to start again. I hope this time around it will go quicker as you have been there before. I am glad your agency is willing to comp your fees. Keep us posted.
First, love the song (as you already know). How did you get it to play automatically?
I'm glad you are feeling much better. I cannot imagine going through the emotions of having your Dossier lost and cannot believe that DHL will not take responsibility. I know you must be going through so many emotions of anger and frustration. I think the redirection of your thoughts to remain positive and focused on your adoption and your little one is best. I think the Devil can use our emotions to deter what God has planned. Your little one is waiting and you will have him in your arms soon enough! One day, this will be a test of faith that you will talk to your child about going through and how much you loved him to start over again!
Best wishes and good luck!
I also meant to add you have great friends who brought the perfect pick me up treat! Bella, what a sweet girl! Gotta love our four legged children.
I love your pity party... sounds like all of the right medicine! I'm so glad you're going to kepe going! Someday you'll look back and barely remember this. I'm so sorry for your friend Shannon's loss. She and her family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
OMG, I'm just reading this - I'm so sorry. Man, we really have some huge hurdles to jump through with this IA stuff. Hang in there, you can do it again. Thank God for the $100 cap on TX apostilles.
I'll be praying for you and I'm also glad you're not giving up.
I just found your blog. We too are adopting, but from Kazakhstan. I am sorry about your lost dossier, that would freighten me too (all that personal information lost). I have anxiety about our dossier being out there in the world on its own.
So far we have had to create our dossier three times for this (so far) incomplete adoption. (Started with China, missed the deadline/new restrictions, changed to Kaz, and changed agencies (after 7 months of officially waiting). Each time has been devistating because you pour your heart and soul into it with hope and dreams and love.
Believe me when I say that each dossier has been easier to create, infact, we were able to create our last one in 9 days. I don't know how difficult the Russian dossier is to create, and I hope its not terrible to do. The good thing is that you probably have all your (own originally typed agency form) documents on your computer that you can just print out and not have to research/think about/ retype!
When you get your child, you'll think that it was not such a big deal then. This will be a mere inconvenience in the big picture. You do deserve to have children, don't ever, ever doubt that. It will happen.
Wow Susan,
I was nearly in tears myself reading your last several posts! How aweful! I've been feeling bad that our fingerprints and paperwork has slowed us down. your story put it all in perspective. But your right, it is just paper and can be redone. God bless you in your efforts. don't give up hope!
Oh Susan, I'm so sorry to read this. Stay strong and fight through this. This is just one more hurdle that you can overcome. He doesnt give you more then you can handle!
God Bless and you'll be in my prayers.
I am so sorry to read this. We will keep you in our prayers.
the Steigers
That is so disappointing! Everything thing for a reason as they say!
Post a Comment