Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Open Forum

It's been pretty slow around here lately when it comes to blog-worthy buzz. I think Artem is starting to cut his two year molars and has been a little on the cranky and needy side. Sometimes I feel as if nothing short of me juggling flaming knives while standing on my head will keep him happy. He was really putting me through the paces the other day and I had to get some errands run. It was one of those days when I was making deals with God, hoping and praying that I could get through the next few errands without Artem going into meltdown mode. You laugh, but I'm 99% sure many of you have copped that same plea deal with God on one or more occasions. Anyway, we made it through our errands, set a record for number of trips to the "naughty spot" in one afternoon, and after finally getting him to bed, I was able to use the little girl's room without someone running a fire truck up my leg while yelling, "woooo, wooo, woooo" and I looked down and noticed my shorts were on backwards. Worse yet, they had a logo on them which meant that I had run all my errands that day with my pants on backwards and the patch on my rear end. Ahhh, just another day in mommyhood.



I've got this nifty little site counter on the blog that tells me how many people have visited the blog and also tells me where they come from. Our blog averages 124 returning visitors a day and 222 new and returning visits a day. Tuesdays seem to be the biggest day, not sure why, but Tuesdays always have the most visits. Our blog has readers from all over the world; Canada, UK, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Cyprus, Netherlands, France, Russia (or Chussia as Artem calls it), and 38 "unknown" countries as Stat Counter calls them. I'm telling you this because I want to know who you are. If you are one of the regular readers drop me a line in the comments section and say hello. I love following other people's blogs and cheering on adoptive families on their journey; leave your link if you want and I'll add you to the blogroll and check in on you every now and then. Even if you aren't an adoptive family, but you have a really great sense of humor and your blog will make me laugh and forget about the fact that I just spent the whole day with my shorts on backwards, leave me a comment and say "hey".



I do have a point to all this, I promise, and will eventually get to the title of this post, "Open Forum". When I started this blog I did it as a sort of journal for Randy and me to keep track of dates, milestones, and happenings on our journey to adopt. I also knew it would be easier to update our friends and families through the blog rather than individual emails and phone calls. What I didn't expect was after one year our blog would have almost 100,000 hits and have 124 returning visitors a day from all over the world. I frequently get emails from people that read the blog telling me that the blog inspires them to keep going through their adoption struggles or it gives them a chuckle in the morning to read about "Potty Training 101". While that was never my intent, I'm happy and humbled to know that it does that for people. I've considered many, many times ending the blog since our "journey" to adopt is over and now we are settling into our lives as a family. But I remember before we received our referral how I lived for updates from families that had come home with their children. I needed to see that once they were home they settled in and became a "normal" family, for lack of a better word, and that life after the crazy ride of international adoption was going to be okay. It was reassuring to see them going on with their daily lives and seeing how much joy their newly adopted children brought to their family. International adoption is a huge leap of faith into a very unknown world and following other people's stories carried me through some of the crazy times we faced during our adoption process. Remembering all of this, I decided not to stop blogging and continue to share our story of becoming one of those "normal" families I loved reading about.



So in the spirit of helping adoptive families through their journey, I'd love to open up the blog to questions from people that read on a regular basis or occasionally stop in. Is there something you've been wondering about? Something that you've wanted to ask but never were brave enough to hit the "comment" button? Why do I use quotation marks so much, why do I refer to myself in the third person, what does "digress" mean anyway? Ask it now in the "open forum" and I'll do my best to answer the questions in the days to come. If you still don't feel comfortable asking your question in the comments section, drop me an email, my address is in my profile.



And dog-gone-it, all you 124 returning visitors, leave me a comment and say "hi" so I can get to know you!



And because my sister told me tonight she needed her "Artem Fix", I leave you with one of those pictures that makes you say, "ahhhhh".

70 comments:

Melissa said...

You know I am here. So hi from a couple blocks away.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan...

I'm probably one of your Germany connections. I just love looking into see how you guys are doing. You guys are such an awesome family. Artem is just so precious!
Tammy in Germany
aka military spouse board: Fortmeademom

Alexis Jacobs said...

I am not an adoptive family but a huge follower of your story. I love how you are a positive beacon and mentor for other families. :)

Ani said...

Hi! I've been following your journey since right before you traveled to bring Artem home (I think!) I don't really remember how I found your blog, but I've loved reading about your journey and Artem's adventures.

I am mom to a 3 year old tornado, who joined our family via domestic adoption 3 years ago.

Love the pic! All the best to you guys.
Ani

Anonymous said...

Hello I am probably also one of your Germany hits. I check everyday (Wouldn't want to miss anything) lol Artem just amazes me!!

AKA Mommie2my3girls

Cindy said...

Hi. I'm waiting to bring my 3-yr-old daughter home through CHI from Vladivostok any day now. I have turned into an adotion blog junkie while I'm waiting for my court trip and it's my only way of coping...by reading other people's warm, funny family stories. I love your sense of humor and enjoy seeing new pics!

Cindy

Mama Fish said...

Hi Susan- I'm here as well... (but you probably knew that!) Thanks for linking my blog on your side bar. We are waiting for two children from Russia and your journey has encouraged me so much!

Meghan, Bill and Nick said...

Hi Susan, I have been following your blog since late April. My DH and I are in Moscow now, waiting our 10 days, until we take custody of our son. I have really loved following your journey and think you have a real talent for blogging. Artem is such a cutie, congrats!

Meghan
mbgemmilladopt.blogspot.com

Angie and Curt said...

Hi Susan,

I'm one of the 124 and follow the blog everytime my Google reader tells me there's an update! I LOVE the doggie kisses.

angie

Courtney and the Boys said...

Hi Susan! This is Tiffany's sister-in-law and I've been checking in on your blog ever since you made a comment about me on Tiffany's blog. Artem is darling!

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the 124 returning visitors. We're pondering adoption, but not ready yet. The First Fireworks picture makes me laugh! Thanks for allowing us a little peek into your days.

Loren in Tennessee

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan. I have been following your story since around February. I have no ties to adoption at all, but I got hooked on your blog through SN. I love hearing how you all are trasitioning and see little Artem so happy! You are a great blogger and I look forward to what you will write next, it's fun to read and you crack me up!

Colleen
(Tmansmommy from SN)

Tracie said...

Hi from Alabama, Susan! I am addicted to reading about Artem's adventures. Keep 'em coming!

Katie said...

Well you know who I am, but I'll tell you anyway....Katie Lee. Jeff, Anna Kate and I enjoy reading about your little family and as always, you never fail to make us laugh. Anna Kate loves looking the pictures of Artem and frequently asks, 'Mama, when I can play with Artem?' :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm a "Storkie Sister" as my DH likes to say. Even he got weepy when you brought Artem home, and I show him your blog just about every time you post a new one.

~Erica (Eekee)

findingourdaughter said...

I am a returning visitor too! We are waiting for a referral of a baby girl in Vladivostok region. I found your blog just after you had traveled to meet Artem on trip 1. It is encouraging and I can't wait to be at that same place with our daughter home!
You have a great sense of humor and also come across very real....yes we all have those "plea to God" moments with our kids......I currently have 2 boys, our daughter will be baby #3. You can visit our blog through my sign in name.

Anonymous said...

Hi I have really enjoyed reading your blog on Artem's adoption so much. I find it very informative and so fun to see how Artem has become a part of your family. We just finished our last home study a few weeks ago and we are getting so excited.

Jill (& Bob) said...

Hi, I'm one of those 124 returning visitors. I'm Jill, live on the NW side of Houston, a PAP. I found your blog when we were starting to figure out a country to adopt from and initially were thinking of Russia. We're now in the horrible waiting phase of our Kazakhstan adoption. We have a private blog, but I'd be more than happy to have you follow our journey. And yes, you're so right, I draw a lot of positive energy from following along on the blogs of families that have brought their babies home. I can't wait to be a member of the "adoptive parent" club, not PAP club.

No questions as most of them are country specific at this point about the 2 months we'll be in Kaz. Thanks for all the laughs though!

Jill

Jodi said...

Well, I probably account for three or four of your hits a day because I check in almost every time I get a chance at the computer. :) You know where I live! :) We need to try the "get together" thing again real soon...something longer than 15 minutes in the parking lot! LOL!

Anonymous said...

My name's Stefanie, and I'm a Blog-oholic! (awwww... i've said it!) As your sister who lives two states away, this is a great way to stay in the Artem loop. I think you have done a great job w/ keeping everyone informed and provide super knowledge for those experiencing the adoption process. You know my days are "busy" here at work - so I like to check often. Since we share the same since of humor, I love to read your blogs - as they are guaranteed to put a smile on my face. I love your "tell it like it is" approach and look forward to all the updates and pictures!! Keep 'em coming ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi! My name is Liz and I live in the Boston area. I found your blog through Adrienne's/Owen's blog. I have three kids and the youngest is a boy about the same age as Artem. I love hearing stories about your life with an active, lovable two year old! I am also interested in Russian adoption. Seeing Artem blossom in your family has made me realize what a blessing it is to bring a child into your life via adoption.

blue-eyed girls said...

HI Susan-
Found your blog through my friend Amy's adoptive blog(Amy, Ryan, & Brady). I have been following you since before Artem came home and love watching how he is growing. I check in frequently because I think you are hilarious and as a mom of 2 girls (ages 3 & 18 months) I can relate on many levels. Yes, I even used your beef chowder recipe to great reviews. Thanks for the blog, that Artem sure is a ham!

the Steiger's said...

Hi,
I am one of silent bloggers. I have been following your blog since your papers got lost on its way to 'Chussia'. At that point we were waiting for a court day in Ethiopia where our girl is from. I am originaly form Czech Republic living in New England. I got your blog from Jill Coen.
Lenka

Rachel said...

I'm one who follows your blog often. My husband and I are waiting for a referral from Perm Russia. I found your blog and love it. It prompted me to start one. I also follow several of the blogs you have on your site.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

This is your dad, anonymous blogger #117. I also check your blog everyday and am constantly changing my computer wallpaper with each new picture.
You have always had a great sense of humor which probably started when I did the "hey, pull my finger" trick on you. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

hi Susan
I have been following your blog from before your first visit to Artem. I have you guys on "my favorites" and check in all the time to see how you are all doing. We are traveling to Russia next week for trip one and I am soooo excited and nervous at the same time. We are leaving our 5 year old son for the first time except for the occasional 1-2 overnight stays that he has done with grandma. We have never left him for a week and especially not this far. I think I may experience my first true panic attack on the plane. We live in New York and hope to be adding a baby girl to our family. We are a tight trio so this will be an adjustment for our son. When my mom's here I even show her pics of Artem. We loved the pics about the gardener and pool boy.That was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I'm AmyA from Storknet. I'm one of the 124. Love getting updates on Artem:) So happy for you and Randy!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Another SNer from all the way back from the AFI days! Been following your blog since way back when and still love to read about Artem. :) You have me hooked on adoption blogs, now!

I don't blog - but my DH has one:

www.footballballetandbeer.blogspot.com

Come say hi! We are in Texas, too.

SusanW from SN

Melissa said...

Hi, I have been following you guys since I found you when I googled "
i600a San Antonio" and found your post entitled "Celebration at the mail box" as the first link on google. I have laughed with you, cried for you, and prayed for you these last several months. I too think it is important to keep posting. When you have readership (is that a word???) you have a forum to encourage other adoptive families, as well as encourage others to BECOME adoptive famlies. You can find us just south of you down I35 or at www.pearlsfromafrica.blogspot.com
Blessings
Melissa

Tina said...

Hi Susan. I'm one of your 128 as well. My husband are adopting from Russia. I blog but not too much about the adoption. More as a wayt o think of other things and gripe about work. But I love to keep up with how Arttem is doing. It does make the wait for our own child easier seeing how happy you guys are.

Anonymous said...

Surprise!! I check in on Artem, and mommy of course, several times a day. I think I've mentioned that I really need a life. I can't wait to finally get to meet you both in less than 24 hours!!

Melinda

Rene said...

Hello,
Another SNer here. Not at SN anymore but still love reading your blog. I check in daily for updates. Artem is just adorable and I couldn't be happier for your family. I blog here as well but mine isn't nearly as fun to read as yours is I'm sure. Just ramblings from a SAHM who homeschools. Anyhoo, keep the posts coming. You are one of my daily favorites!

Michelle said...

Hi Susan,

I'm a wanna be PAP from Alaska who loves hearing about Artem's adventures. I admire how you interact with Artem. Your experience as a teacher has obviously helped you in your transition to parenthood. I enjoy the videos that you post and look forward to new ones.

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog and others as I have a family member that has recently adopted, and I have to say you have the best blog going. Your blog is all about Artem. Keep up the good work.

Try Lipton Onion Soup the next time you want meat loaf. The recipe is on the box.

MissMeg said...

I want to know more about dinosaurs...;-) I adore reading about Artem, Susan. Thank you so much for allowing us to experience your journey with us.

Laura S said...

Hey...I have been on here a while and have commented a few times but thought I'd let you know where I came from. I found you through Becky (we work together) and we adopted from Colombia last year. I think our son is about the same age as Artem (Oct 06). Our blog is http://andreslaura.wordpress.com.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm Sharon (or as you probably better remember me, Looki from the AFI forum on SN)... You know I'm here because I reply to your posts every now and then :)
I've been following your blog ever since finding a link to it (SN?) when you starting the adoptional process. I love reading your posts and seeing new photos of Artem! :)

So, that's me :)

Jessica said...

Hey, I've been avidly reading adoption blogs for over a year now and am hooked on yours. I'm a single woman interested in adopting but am just not ready yet. Oh, and I'm in the DC area. Love today's picture!

Jessica

Ron and Dinia said...

Hi Susan,

Greetings from Moscow! Artem is such a doll and I have enjoyed reading your blog from time to time since February or maybe even January! Bella seems to be popping up in more pictures as Artem's sidekick. What a cute pair!

Paka!

Dinia

Heather & Jason said...

I'm another of your 124!
My husband and I have been following pretty much religiously since the snafoo with your dossier and DHL. He never remembers your names, but when I say DHL- he knows just who I am talking about! You have a real knack for blogging, you're funny and you have an adoarably precious family! Your blog is irresistable. Blessings to you!

Melissa said...

Of course, you know I'm around! You couldn't tear me away from looking at pictures of your child kissing your dog. That is TOO hilarious! :)

David & Jodi said...

Hi Susan,
I have been following your blog since before you adopted Artem. I am a Russian Adoption blog junkie as well. We adopted our son last November and are hoping and praying to adopt his brother this year. I'll send you an invitation to our blog.
Jodi

Carol said...

I laughed out loud, sorry but the shorts story was hysterical!!! But, I am happy to hear that someone else is suffering the daily meltdowns from teething that we are. Today was actually a good day with only about 5, yesterday it felt like 100. How is the drooling? P is like a faucet. Good luck.

Dede said...

You know we are out here! Love the picture of Artem kissing Bella.

Karen said...

Hi Susan! Love reading your blog!
Karen

Our Family said...

I'm here as well, Susan. I love reading about the adventures of Artem, and have enjoyed seeing him grow and come alive since being home. I also enjoy checking in with others from your blog roll. It is nicely done! My husband and I just brought home our daughter from Bryansk, Russia. We are enjoying every minute!

Adrian, Ken and Angelina

Shannon said...

Hi Susan!

I've been following your blog since about your 1st trip to Russia, way back. I'm waiting for a referral for a little girl from Krasnoyarsk, and I'm from Michigan.

I'm greatful that you have kept up the blog. You make me laugh, and I love to see how Artem is doing.
Shannon

Heidi said...

hi my name is Heidi and i live in England, i love reading about your journey and life with Artem he is just adorable, we brought our son home from Russia in february this year he is now 17 months so can relate so much to things you say in your blog

Dana and Scott said...

Susan,
You know me by now. I love watching your little Artem, he is such a happy ham. He really looks so full of spirit! Anyhoo-check out my recent post on "Being a Boy Momma"
DANA

Alison said...

Hello from Northwest Arkansas! We are in the process of adopting from Russia and have really enjoyed reading about your journey! Artem is just too cute and you guys are such a neat family to follow!

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Eva and I very much enjoy reading about your family adventures. I am Swedish, with English husband and a 3.5 year old daughter and we are waiting for our invitation to Russia (Perm) to expand our family. We live in Germany so I guess I am one of your "Germans". Though currently on holiday in Sweden.
All the best
Eva

GuinnessandKillian said...

I'm another reader...from the Kansas City metro area. My husband and I are adopting from Russia and I love reading about Artem and your family now that he's home. It does remind me that there's a light - a bright, shining, sparkling, brilliant one - waiting at the end of this long, dark tunnel. E-mail me through my profile if you'd like my blog address to remind you of the way-back-whens of the adoption journey!

Mike and Wanda said...

OMG, Susan it looks like he is using Bella's nose like a straw! He is so funny.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

I'm an adoptive mom of 2 from Russia and I used the same agency as you. My daughter is now 7 and loves checking your blog to see the newest baby pictures. My son is now 3 and has been home for 2 years.

Christine , Emily
& Will

Anonymous said...

Susan,
This is Paula from VVES. David and I love reading your blog and look forward to every update. The crew at work was wondering when you will be joining Randy? Hang in there and enjoy every moment.

Paula C.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
We have two children adopted from Russia. Our daughter came home from Chelyabinsk in March 2006 and we just brought our son home from St. Petersburg two months ago. Artem is such a cute little guy!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and have been following your journey since you brought sweet Artem home. I'm so glad that you have decided to keep your blog up. While reading about your visits to Russia was amazing, it is even better to hear about life for your family now. We are just finishing up our homestudy, brining us closer to meeting our referral from Russia.Oh by the way, my name is Becky. My email is beckyjasavage@hotmail.com It would be great to chat with you further. Take care~Becky

Mary and Michael said...

Hi Susan, I have been following your blog for awhile now. I really enjoy checking in to see how Artem is doing. We are in the waiting stages and that, as you know, can be difficult so I really like seeing you at home settling into family life. It is so encouraging and I appreciate you sharing your story. I am so glad you have decided to keep on blogging! I do have a question for you: I have done so much reading on IA and to be honest some of it is a little scary, I know the intent is to make us all aware of the possibilities and obviously that is good, but is there anything you wish you had known before hand, anything that just didn’t come up in books, or lectures that would have been helpful? - Mary

Carey and Norman said...

Wow, so many comments. As you know, we check in weekly to see how you are doing. Like you, I've been contemplating whether to continue with our blog or not since home. I always think this might be the last one, and then I write another :o)

Artem is adorable. Loved the mowing and pool pics.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan. I am from New Zealand. I read your blog every couple of days. My husband and I are wanting to adopt from Russia, but are waiting for our agency to be accredited. I love to read blogs. I like to read peoples blogs after they get home because I want to see that life will be ok, even with ups and downs.
Keep blogging, And I must admit, Artem, is delightful.
Janine

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan :)

Felicity and I love to read about Artem and see his pictures! I love being able to continue to follow your story and watch Artem grow. What a terrific boy! You were so made to do this, Susan! What an incredible mommy you are. It's been an honor and joy to watch you and Randy become paretns. :D

Lauren (annalauren from SN)

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Wow Susan! You have one of the top Russian adoption blogs I bet! You have a ton of blog traffic, and you are great at writing and sharing Artem stories! I hope things are going well! I got a chuckle out of your backward shorts story! Please tell Randy hi from us, too! :)

Anonymous said...

love your blog you are part of my lunch time reading

Anonymous said...

Susan you know I'm checking in most every day. I LOVE my Artem fix. He's one cool lil dude!

Becky (from sn)

Deb said...

Adorbale pic!
I'm so jealous of all these comments and questions. I'd love to know where my 100+ people come from as well but they never seem to want to ask me questions, of course I don't write quite as witty as you. And I've yet to put my shorts on backwards but I'm sure I'll get there soon.

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I'm still reading too! I love seeing Artem grow, adjust, attach, and just simply being cute! You have a great sense of humor that keeps me coming back for more.

Here is my question: I remember reading how your first visit was difficult in that Artem cried and didn't want to go to your husband. Was it love at first sight for you or did it take some time for it all to sink in? How/When do you stop worrying about whether your baby's serious personality (while in-Country) is just normal under the circumstances vs being something wrong?

Thanks, Kim

Kimabraham.blogspot.com

Becky and Keith said...

I'm here, I'm here!! :-) I'm just slow posting because toddlerhood is kicking my rear. You have lots of peeps following your blog! Wow! :-) Oh... and you know me from blogland and CHI/CSS and we even had the pleasure of chatting on the phone!

Robin said...

I am another regular reader. I have been following your blog since day 1. (This is rhill4455 from Military spouses Message board) My blog address you can find by clicking on my name.

Craig and Phyllis said...

I have been reading your blog since you were home for the 10 day wait period (and caught up on all the posts beforehand). We will be leaving for Astrakhan this Friday for our first visit. We have a bio son and daughter (21 and 19) and like you, many unanswered prayers since I had 5 babies die in womb and 1 that lived for 2 days. And now I'm beginning to see God's plan during the last 17 years! I have so enjoyed reading your blog. It really has been great encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan
I have been following your story from Storknet and have also become hooked on reading your blog and seeing pictures of Artem. He is such a lovely little boy and he seems to be flourishing.

Like others have said, I need my Artem fix
Patricia (patticakes from SN)