Saturday, August 16, 2008

Mama Who??

Daddy's home!! Randy has been overseas for the past couple months while I played the role of "geographically single mother" and he finally got to come home yesterday for a well deserved break. While Randy was gone, Artem and I talked to Randy almost every day on the webcam, watched videos of Randy and looked at his pictures everyday. He knew who Randy was and was always excited to see him everyday on the webcam and talk to him on the phone. We wondered how Artem would do when he actually saw him in person and we knew he might be a little stand-offish at first but he totally proved us wrong. He has not left Randy's side since he got home, literally. He wants to be held by Randy all the time, he looks under the door for Randy while he's using the bathroom, he wants to hold Randy's hand when we go anywhere, he calls for Randy when he has to take a nap or go to bed. Suddenly mama is out and daddy is very much in. I'm not bitter; not like I was the one to change every single poopey diaper for the past few months, or take care of him after his surgery, or feed him every meal, kiss every boo-boo; none of that matters now that daddy is home. It is really sweet to watch them together again and Artem will hold Randy's hand and just beam and say, "Mama, dada" like he's trying to tell me, "Mama, look, it's daddy!"


Helping daddy with his luggage:

Randy will be home for a nice long visit and we've got lots planned during his stay here. Our first PPR (post placement report) is due in Sept (where has the time gone?) and we've got a big Labor Day weekend planned at the lake camping in the travel trailer and playing on the jet ski. I can't wait to do that with Artem and see how he does with nature and I especially can't wait for the night time when we can make smores!!
First thing Artem had to do with daddy home was ride his airplane. He can steer it all by himself.
Watching the plane go all by itself:
Taking a break with daddy:
Watching airplanes in the sky:


All of this leads me into my next little tidbit of news...we are moving overseas! We will be relocating to United Arab Emirates (UAE) and will be living in the city of Abu Dhabi. Randy was offered a job there and we have decided this is as good of time as any to move overseas. Artem and I will be traveling the end of September and meet Randy over there. Unfortunately I have to make the trip by myself with Artem. We will fly to Atlanta first, have a five hour layover, (heaven help me, five hours in the airport with a toddler) and then fly 14 hours to Dubai. Just me and Artem, 14 glorious hours, just the two of us. I should have my head examined. My only saving grace is that we are flying business class and Artem will have his own seat and will have plenty of room to spread out to play. We plan on keeping the house here at least for a few months and Randy's aunt is going to house sit for us and keep Bella here until the weather cools off and we can ship her over to UAE with us. I'm looking forward to becoming an "expat" (this is what they refer to people that leave their own country and live and work in another country) but I really hate leaving our friends and family behind. The good news is, Randy's company provides all of us with tickets to fly back and forth a few times each year so we'll be able to visit. We are not sure how long we are going to stay overseas; we are playing it by ear and see how it works for our family but we are blessed with the fact that I can continue to stay home with Artem for the next several years. I will definitely keep the blog going so everyone can see what life is like in Abu Dhabi and we are still trying to figure out a way for us to adopt a second child while living abroad, so our "Journey to Adopt" could possibly be "Our Journey To Adopt Part II".
I have had a few people ask me how to get on the database and look at the children. There is a link on the right hand side of the blog that says, "Russian Database". Start with that and in a few days when I get a chance, I'm going to do a seperate post explaining the database and how to search it.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Randy!!!!

Laura

ana said...

I know you're enjoying having Randy home right now. Wow, moving to another country is such huge news! I'm glad you're planning to continue your blog so we can follow your new adventure!

Alison said...

So much great news!! I have always wanted to visit UAE!! Isn't the city you are moving to the one with the HUGE indoor downhill snow-skiing facility??!! And that super luxurious 6-star hotel they have?!? I can't wait to keep up with this new journey!!

Mama Fish said...

Wow Susan!! that is BIG news! September is sooo soon! I'm glad your keeping your blog up, I think I would miss it if you didn't! :-)

Jane said...

That is huge news! Sounds like quite the adventure and I can't wait to follow along on it with you and your expanding family!

Michelle said...

i have friends whose parents are with the state department & they've lived all over, including in the middle east. before i met them, they lived in pakistan & were evacuated from there, and before that it was india & china.

i met them while they did 3 years (standard length for each location) in D.C. (where we live) and then they were sent off to saudia arabia.

they were evacuated from Riyadh and came back here while their parents finished their term there.

most recently it was jordan, and they lived in amman until they graduated from high school and came back to the states for college.

best of luck over there... please be sure to keep us updated!!!!!!

:-)

- Michelle

Lindsay said...

I'm really happy that Randy's reunion went so well - perhaps you'll get a break from poopy diapers for a while :)

Hope your preparation for the move goes smoothly and is as stress free as possible.

Cindy said...

Wow! How exciting! I will definitely continue to follow your blog and the adventures you will surely have. Best wishes!

Cindy
Kansas City

Anonymous said...

Susan -
I don't know how to email you, but would you email me?

nancyairplane@mindspring.com

Jodi said...

So much news! I'm so happy that three of you are back together again! How fun for you to have some quality down time!! It sounds like you've got quite the adventure ahead of you. I've lived in the Middle East but not with a small child. It will fun to follow your blog as you make the transition! Promise me we'll get together before you go!!

Joy said...

Susan oh my word. That is big news. I bet you will love it. Will you get to travel around Europe a little bit too.

You guys have a very exciting life.
Good luck with the trip and congrats on the 6 month report.
Joy

Our Family said...

Great luck to your family as you embark on this new journey. Artem is going to be such a world traveler!

I look forward to following your aventure as you make UAE your home.

Adrian

Troy and Rachel said...

That's great that Randy is home for a well deserved break and I know you and Artem were thrilled to see him! Big news about your move. Keep us all updated.

Shane & Marie said...

How nice to have Randy home. I think it's so cute how Artem won't leave his side. That's a good thing. What wonderful news! I can't wait to hear about your new adventures in UAE.

Laura S said...

Wow! Congratulations on the move. That will be quite an adventure. Great time to go with Artem being so young.

I know what you mean about being replaced. We go through a similar experience most weeks. Andres travels for work and is gone many weeks for 4-5 days. The weekend becomes all about Papi. But then you get the in between time and its awesome.

Tara said...

What huge news!!!! I am thrilled that you are going to continue your blog. I cannot wait to read all about UAE. How wonderful it is to see Artem w/ his daddy! It is a far cry from the first meeting, isn't it? Congratulations and I look forward to the updates.

Tara said...

What huge news!!!! I am thrilled that you are going to continue your blog. I cannot wait to read all about UAE. How wonderful it is to see Artem w/ his daddy! It is a far cry from the first meeting, isn't it? Congratulations and I look forward to the updates.

Susan said...

As you know, my dad lived there for about 3 months, and really loved it. It is absolutely beautiful, and he had no problems or concerns at all. I'm sure you will enjoy the adventure!! Congrats!!
Masonsmom from SN....

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

What a great experience you are going to have being Expats! My parents were expats for 3 years and they loved the experience. Aaron and I have always said if the right opportunity came by we would take it. Good luck. I'm so glad you are keeping the blog. I can't wait to hear all about it!
I hope you find a way to adopt a 2nd! It is such a blessing to watch our children change!

Over-Caffeinated said...

Okay, now you have so many comments on your blog, that takes a whole other time block just to read them. :)

I am SO glad you finally broke the news. I felt like I was going to accidentally spill the beans or something. I wanted to say back when you posted about bonding that a few years on the other side of the globe ought to cement you as number one in the mind of one little precious child! :)

I'm still working on Brian for a visit... did you say you had room for four rowdy kids? I guess I should have asked BEFORE I posted about Meg's affinity for hitting! :)

Ondrea

Meghan, Bill and Nick said...

Very sweet reaction by Artem with the return of your husband from abroad. You must be so happy to have the three of you back in one place together.

Wow, more big changes coming your way! Congrats on the move, how exciting!

Alexis Jacobs said...

I am glad Randy made it home safe and sound. Sounds like they are making up for some lost male bonding time.

Your adventures are just beginning and I cannot wait to follow along with you on your blog. Can I request a post in advance? How about a "how to survive 14 hours alone on an airplane with a child." It may come in handy for some of your readers in the near future :)

Ron and Dinia said...

Ron and I returned to the statest this week, and I thought about you guys as there was a family with three small children in business. The kids did great and even had enough room in busines to use play dough,they also got a good rest in during the flight. Do you know what airline you will travel on? I bet Artem has a great time on the flight. BTW. That airplane toy is too cute! I have never seen anything like that.

Carrie said...

Wow!! Big move!! I am glad you will continue blogging. I love keeping up with you and Artem. He is such a cutie. I look forward to reading about all your upcoming adventures. I am glad Randy had such a wonderful homecoming.

Ani said...

wow! awesome news about the big move. can't wait to follow you guys over there(virtually, of course!) enjoy these lazy days of summer!

Beth said...

So glad Randy adn Artem's reunion went wonderfully! He is so cute with his Daddy in those pics. Congrats on the exciting moving news. I have been to UAE with Nick and I loved it there. He flies there often with his company, so we will have to get you guys hooked up when he is there.