Friday, August 10, 2007

I think we just demolished a small forest!

Our paperwork arrived today! In it was our official letter of acceptance which was exciting and reason to take a ceremonial picture but completely overwhelming at the sheer amount of paperwork that is going to be needed to adopt. Fortunately I have Randy to keep me focussed and tell me that we will just take it one step at a time, which is all you really can do. But let me have my omi-good-ness freak-out moment...there is so much to do!!! We need to do everything from financial statements to finger printing, to background checks, to submitting the floorplan of our house with room measurements and uses for each room, to medical checks, to letters of references from friends and family, to our autobiography. Like I said in the title, I think we may have wiped out a small forest today with all the paper we are using.

That all aside, this is really such an exciting time for us and we are thrilled to be overwhelmed with paperwork at the moment b/c it means we are moving forward. Also, on a positive note, our agency rep requires a 45-60 minute meeting with us to help explain all the paperwork and help us get it all started. It makes me feel good to know that we have someone looking out for us and wanting everything to go as smoothly as possible.

7 comments:

Robin said...

How exciting. I have enjoyed reading Melissa's Blog about her adoption story and now I will get to enjoy yours as well. Oh and by the way this is rhill4455 from military spouses!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you & Randy and to follow your journey to becoming a loving, happy, blessed family of 3. You are in my prayers and I'll add y'all to our prayer list at church. Hugs to you & Randy both!

~Katie

Unknown said...

Dorene and I are very excited for you both and we will pray that the paperwork goes smoothly and that you guys will have a child of your own to love very soon. We can't think of two better people to become parents!

Melissa said...

Girl, it is SO overwhelming at first...but once you get in the swing of things, it gets way easier! The lady in our sec of state office got to know me on a first name basis! :)

Anyway, it will seem really a lot easier, once you get going...but I do remember having those "omigosh" moments, thinking I would never remember what all I had to get accomplished.

And yet...here we are!

Katey said...

Susan,

Congratulations! What wonderful news that you two will be adopting. I remember being with you on StorkNet many years ago and have always kept my eye out for you.

I hope this is a wonderful and smooth journey for the two of you. You both seem like you'd be wonderful parents. This child that will come home to you is a lucky one.

I look forward to reading your blog and hearing your story.

Katey (Shimmer)

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Hi Susan,

Congratulations on starting the adoption process! (We are also with CHI, adopting from Tver, Russia and are currently waiting on our referral.) I just stumbled across your blog and look forward to following your journey! Best wishes with your paperwork!

Carrie

Dede said...

Congrats! I just found your blog from your post on Troy & Rachel's. We are with CHI and have a similar picture with our acceptance letter on our blog too. Good luck and I look forward to following your journey.