Sunday, August 19, 2007

A glimpse into my future

I went shopping yesterday at the Round Rock outlet stores. Now I know this would be torture for some of you, (Randy, cough, cough) but for those of you that don't know, I am a shopper. I love to shop for shoes, clothes, bathroom towels, scented soaps, socks, toaster ovens, you name it, I love to shop for it. I am one of those crazy women that is up at 4:30 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving to be at JCPennys for their door buster sales and I fully support any legislative bill that would deem "Black Friday" as a national holiday. My love for shopping is not just a hobby, but a passion and something I would be proud to list on my resume when applying for a job. I love to shop, period.

Yesterday at the outlet mall, I had a moment in which I was able to see into the future and I think I may have scared myself. It was the tax-free weekend here in TX, again I could support that being a national holiday, and the mall was packed. But unlike shopping during the holidays when the malls are just full of people, yesterday was packed with families shopping for their children, something I've never been able to do. Kids were every where, crying babies abounded, three year old children screaming to go on the motorized pony one more time, and I was constantly dodging and weaving strollers. Single strollers, double side-by-side strollers, umbrella strollers...I had never seen so many strollers in my life. And it dawned on me as I tried to weave my way through the Tommy Hilfiger store and I watched these families try to squeeze those double strollers through the aisles that having children puts a serious crimp on shopping. It suddenly became clear to me that in only a few months I'm going to be one of those tired, glassy eyed women that I saw yesterday trying to get their children to hold on for one more store so they could finish their shopping.

Then it happened, my saving grace in a pair of pink Crocs...a little girl with a bouncing pony tail who looked about three years old yelling for her mama to come look at all the pretty jewelry. Every time her mother would pull another pair of earrings off the rack the little girl would ooh and aah and clap her hands at how pretty they were. She cheered for necklaces and head bands and told her mother the pink flowered belt she saw hanging up would "match my Crocs perfectly" and I realized that maybe, just maybe God would give me a little pint sized shopper that I could pass along my passion for shopping, like Yoda to a young Jedi, and I would have someone to second my motion enacting "Black Friday" as a nationally observed holiday, someone to agree with me that if done correctly, white shoes past Labor day are okay, and someone to cheer and clap over her new pretty earrings that match her pink Crocs "perfectly".

7 comments:

Dede said...

Here's hoping that the Force is with you and there is a young shopper in your future!

Troy and Rachel said...

Hey Susan - I am glad you left a comment on my blog and we have "met". I'll be adding you to my blogroll so I can follow your journey also. Sounds like you are making great progress on your paperwork. I can't wait to hear more. It will definitely be an adventure and worth it once you bring your little girl home.

Becky and Keith said...

You are a great writer! :-) I definitely hope you get a little shopper because it sounds like you have tons of wisdom to pass down! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan - I hope you are blessed with a little shopper like my little Anna Kate. She is SO into fashion. We go shopping all of the time and she is quite opinionated on what matches what and looks nice together. Her favorite color is PINK! I call her my little 'pinkalicious' :-D When we got up for church yesterday her first words to me were, "Mama, what am I going to wear to church?". I swear! May you be blessed with the same.

Hugs,
Katie

Allison said...

Hi Susan
Just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say hi!
We're also with CHI and are waiting for a referral for a little girl! Can't wait to follow your journey.

Anonymous said...

Susan... after reading this blog, I was left with a huge smile. As my sister, I can swear to the truths told about your shopping "addiction." I think if you were not a teacher, Professional Buyer would be your title. I was thinking that between you and Nicolas... your child will be one well-dressed kid. Nic has got shoes and you've got clothes covered!! This is gonna be fabulous...

Anonymous said...

Good Luck! Hope your adoption goes well. I was not going to post until I saw Sparky. Good luck from a fellow Sun Devil!