It has begun, the pile of stuff I can't forget has started to build on our bedroom dresser. I leave in one week and I'm slowly but surely getting things checked off of the "to-do" list.
My visa arrived today. I used Go To Russia for my visa and for Randy's letter of invitation and I will NEVER EVER use them again. They have been terrible. I paid for 8 day processing of my visa and it ended up being 11 days to process my visa. We paid for GTR to issue Randy an invitation to travel and mail it to him in Abu Dhabi so he could go to the Russian Embassy in Abu Dhabi and get his visa. We were told it was mailed on June 21st but after a week of nothing arriving I called GTR and they said DHL returned it back to their Moscow office without any explanation. GTR said they would mail it again on June 28th and then told us they mailed it but wouldn't provide us with a tracking number. Several phone messages to GTR went unanswered and Randy called DHL in Abu Dhabi and DHL said they have not had any shipments for Randy all the way back to June 15th and said they did not have any reason to return it. After waiting three more days, Randy called the GTR Moscow office and found out they never mailed it all along.
I contacted Peace Travel, who we used to rent our Moscow apartments for Artem's adoption, and within 10 minutes I had a return email from Dmitry saying, "Hello Susan, so good to hear from you again." The man remembered us after 2.5 years, despite the hundreds of people he deals with a year. Within a day he was able to get Randy an invitation to travel and get it sent to Abu Dhabi. It cost us, it cost us dearly, $190 for just 2 pieces of paper, on top of the $70 we paid GTR, and now that Randy will only have a couple days to get a visa, he will have to pay the expedited cost at the Embassy. Like I said, we will NEVER EVER use Go To Russia again.
Enough of that, hopefully Randy will be able to go the the Russian Embassy on Sunday and get his visa issued and we won't have anymore visa issues on this trip.
Randy's parents will arrive here on Wednesday afternoon. They will take care of Artem while I am in Moscow. Since we picked Artem up from the orphanage on April 12, 2008 I have never been away from him for more than 5 hours and I've never been away from him overnight. I'm not sure who is going to cry more while I'm gone. Artem and I are tight, we're like peas and carrots, and even though I'm excited to meet our next child and excited to have a little time off from Mommy Duty, I don't know what I'm going to do without my little shadow. We'll be able to keep in contact with Skype; Artem's used to skyping with Randy everyday, and I have some paper hearts with handwritten messages on them that I'm going to scatter around the house for Artem to find while I am gone, but still, I'm going to miss that little guy.I'm starting to get those worries about how I'm ever going to love another child as much as I love Artem, am I going to be able to give Artem enough time when the next child comes home, and trying to figure out how I'm ever going to survive Walmart on payday with two children under four. I know thousands of mom's do it all time and with a lot more children, but right now, those are my worries.
So, one week from today, I'll be on the plane to Moscow minus a certain little boy that decided he wanted to potty train himself on a sixteen hour flight from Atlanta to Dubai and I haven't flown by myself for so long I don't know what I'll do with all of that free time. I hope I don't try to cut the food for the passenger sitting next to me. That could prove awkward!
11 comments:
I remember a mere 6 months and 1 day ago wondering how in the heck I could love another child like I loved my Sarah Beth...and a boy no less (I was one who never ever imagined having a boy). I can assure you that you can and you will. It's not to say ever day of managing life with 2 is easy, but it's doable and it's fun and once you're there, you won't want to trade it for the world (even if Artem wants to trade the sibling in for a baby penguin!). Safe travels!
Wow- so excited for you guys! We love Peace Travel, too! So glad he was able to pull through for you in your pinch!! Happy flight to you! And never fear- the time of yours that Artem will have to share with your newest when (s)he comes home is a trade off for giving him a sibling, a lifelong buddy, a reason to share, and a friend to teach life lessons to. It's an excellent trade! ;o)
I am horrible at leaving my kids! I had to leave my boys for 4 trips to Russia this year. Each one got a little easier for all of us. But I am SOOOOOO glad to be done traveling. Artem will probably do much better than you think. I think it is more difficult on us moms. After you get into the swing of things when your second child is home, you'll love, love, love having 2! You'll actually end up getting more breaks because they will entertain each other :) Good luck with this final week.
So sorry you had troubles with Go To Russia. We used them for guests coming over and it worked pretty well. Strange! The good news is that your visas are sorted and you will soon be meeting a precious little one. Artem is such a special little guy and I know he will make a great big brother. If Artem takes after Wyatt while you are away he will do fine. I sure hope Wyatt develops Artem's manners!
Ron says to have a Starbucks on Arbat for him while you are in Moscow! I know y'all will hit the pasta place. Understand they have Cinnabon and Burger King now.
Safe travels and we look forward to following your adventures on the blog!
I am so excited for you!!!!!
All of these worries will just disappear once you hold this little child in your arms. I have been a bit concerned about how much courage I will have to leave the house and head out to Target with my group too!
Good luck and safe travels to you!
Nicole
I've been thinking of you and remember what it was like to be where you are and the excitement and fear that goes along with it. Leaving Lydia behind to go meet Cade was truly the hardest part for me. She did great..."I" was the one bawling in the hotel room in Moscow because I was sooo homesick for her, and she barely wanted to talk to me on the phone because she was so busy playing with Grandma and Grandpa. And you know that the love in your heart will just expand to love another child (or two), but I know how hard it is to rationalize it and believe that it will happen...but it will. :) CANNOT wait to hear about your new little one(s)!! I'll be thinking about and praying for you guys (all four(five...six) of you!)
I was wondering if Artem would be joining you on your trip. I cannot wait to hear about your new family members, your trip, Artem, etc. etc. I hope you'll be blogging......Take a good book for your flight and maybe take a nap - try not to be cutting up your neighbor's food for them! :-)
I just found your blog and wish you luck. Your story is VERY similar to my story. My husband and I spent 4 years trying to start a family and then adopted our son, Oscar in December of 2008. We just got assigned to the Vologda region last month for our second adoption.
Good luck on your trip! I hope it is successful!
You will feel like you are missing a body part, like an arm or an Artem!:) It isn't horrible, but it is like you keep checking on something or someone sooo important - you won't know how to act for the first few hours!
And trust me, your heart will expand and expand and it will fit all the love you need and all the love you have for your new family:) It is so cool to see the first child as a big brother too! We will be following along! Best wishes and safe travels to you!
So happy for you! Very exciting. It will all work out just fine. Enjoy your first class flight. The bad thing is...once you go first class you NEVER want to travel any other way!
Oh my goodness. Just catching up on some of my long-lost blogs and read your news!! I am SO excited for you and can't wait to follow your journey. Good luck!! And now I'm off to read your archives and catch up;-)
Post a Comment