We were able to meet with a second referral today; a 21 month old boy. He's 2 years and one month younger than Artem. He's healthy and happy and a good fit for our family. We declined our first referral when the doctor we hired to review his file discovered the baby home had been tracking him closely for cerebral palsey. Something they did NOT reveal to us the first two days even when we questioned them directly about any other conditions we should be aware of. I'm feeling really guilty about turning him down since he was an adorable little boy and our last visit with him went really well. But Randy and I both know our limits and cerebral palsey would have been too much for our family to handle.
Our new little guy was VERY guarded when he met us and took quite a while to warm up to us, but after about an hour we were able to get some smiles and belly laughs out of him. We were scheduled to have our eight doctor medical exam tomorrow but that would mean we wouldn't be able to see our little guy anymore on this trip so we will forgo the medical exam and see him tomorrow instead. When we return for court, we'll come a few days early and have our exam then.
As of tonight we still haven't agreed on a name. We need one tomorrow by 11:00 a.m. It's looking like it's going to come down to a fierce game of rock, paper, scissors in order to determine a name, but we are not giving up yet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
40 comments:
I know how difficult that decision must have been. We decided to decline a referral (not in country) and it was hard. I'm so happy that the second little boy you met is right for your family. Looking forward to hearing more about him.
I'm so sorry you had to decline your first referral, but is sounds like the second one is a perfect fit for your family! So glad everything worked out well. Thoughts and prayers to you!
Congratulations!!! I can't begin to imagine how difficult this week has been. I've had your blog up on my screen basically since your last post, refreshing every 5 minutes or so. So, if you noticed a serious stalker on your tracker, that's me!!
I'm happy you get to see him again tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing his name!
Hugs,
Karyn, Norm & Ilya
Congratulations, Susan and Randy! Enjoy the rest of the week with your little man, and have a safe trip home. Lori
I'm so happy for you! Our daughter was just over two when we adopted her. It was the best age! I think it is somewhat "safer" too because you can really see if something is terribly wrong, where with a baby it is so so hard. I'm so excited for you! She was very nervous and very scarred when we first met her! That is a good sign! Now she is a smart, athletic, fantastic almost 8 year old! Good luck.
I'm so happy for you! Our daughter was just over two when we adopted her. It was the best age! I think it is somewhat "safer" too because you can really see if something is terribly wrong, where with a baby it is so so hard. I'm so excited for you! She was very nervous and very scarred when we first met her! That is a good sign! Now she is a smart, athletic, fantastic almost 8 year old! Good luck.
Congratulations Susan and Randy! I am so happy for you guys! Good luck picking a name! I am a little teary-eyed over here, thinking about your family expanding. :)
Congratulations Randy, Susan and BIG brother Artem!
I also have been stalking your blog refreshing since your last post. I can't wait to hear more about this little boy. Hope you are taking lots of pics.
Ellen (SN)
Yay!!! I am so happy to hear this news. Good luck on choosing a name. I still wonder about what we should have named Sam! Enjoy you next visit with your little guy!!
What a week! I'm thrilled to hear some good news! Good luck with your rock, paper, scissors game :)
Wow, what a whirlwind week. I cannot imagine how difficult your week has been. I am thrilled that you have good news. Enjoy your visit tomorrow with your little guy and I cannot wait to hear how the rock, paper scissors game turns out.
T. Smathers
GYOU MET THE RIGHT LITTLE GUY FOR YOUR FAMILY! THAT'S THE AGE DANIEL WAS WHEN WE BROUGHT HIM HOME AND IT WAS PERFECT!
Congratulations!!!! Sorry the road was a little bumpy to get to him, but Artem will be so happy to have a little brother! He sounds wonderful - can't wait to see his picture in a few weeks! Have a safe trip home -
Victoria
Congratulations Susan and Randy! I am so thankful that you contacted that Dr. and s(he) was able to tell you that information. That is scary that it was not revealed to you.
I am glad that you found the little boy who is right for your family. And that you get to spend time with him again! Good luck choosing a name!
Jackie
Congratulations! We too declined a referral while in country due to medical concerns that were not disclosed by the baby home. We know the heartache and sadness that comes with that decision, but I feel confident that like us God has led you to the right baby for your family! Wishing you all the best on your remaining visits with him and a smooth process as you move forward.
A fellow Central TX Adoptive Momma!
Betsy
Congratulations! I know how difficult it must have been for you to make this decision but everything happens for a reason. You found your second little man! Best wishes!!
Can you tell us what doctor you used? I'm think our international adoption doctor back here in the states wouldn't pick up on situations such as yours since they're not a native speaker/reader.
God bless you for giving kiddo #1 a chance. None of us PAP like turning down a referral but that yes/no question is something we're all faced with. Enjoy visit #2 with your future son.
Yay for meeting YOUR son! I can only imagine the heartache of turnign down your first referral -- but you have to do what is best for you, Randy and Artem -- not just the little guy referred to you. Praying for a speedy court date!
Congratulations! We're so happy for you. Michelle (SN)
YAY!! Congratulations mama...your heart is making room for another little guy to love!! :)
I can only imagine how heart wrenching this week has been for you, but in the end you found your perfect little boy...whatever his name ends up being. ;) SOoooo happy for you!
Susan,
My heart goes out to you and Randy for having to make such a difficult choice. In the end you made the choice that was the best fit for your family. Only you know what is best for you, Randy and Artem and as such know what you can take on. This second referral sounds like a great match and love that the kids are closer in age! They will have so much fun playing together!! Artem is going to be a great big brother!! Enjoy the rest of your time with your new son! Good luck with the name and safe travels home!
Susan,
My heart goes out to you and Randy for having to make such a difficult choice. In the end you made the choice that was the best fit for your family. Only you know what is best for you, Randy and Artem and as such know what you can take on. This second referral sounds like a great match and love that the kids are closer in age! They will have so much fun playing together!! Artem is going to be a great big brother!! Enjoy the rest of your time with your new son! Good luck with the name and safe travels home!
Glad to hear you found the perfect little guy for your family! Safe travels home and enjoy your visit tomorrow! Can't wait to hear more!
Such good news! Congratulations!!
So happy for you! It sounds like a PERFECT match!
Congratulations!! I eagerly await the newest little one's name... if you're planning on sharing, that is.
I'm sorry this week was so stressful, but I'm happy you were able to find Artem's little brother. Two years is an AWESOME age gap. They're gonna have so much fun together!!
names, names, names... I like thinking up names, even for people who didn't ask me to think up names!
Artem and Adam
Artem and Marty
Artem and Anton
Artem and Julian
Artem and William
Artem and Evan
Artem and Ivan
"Seeking input" was one post below, but what the heck. :) There are some nice Russian names.
Artem and Ruslan
Artem and Erik
Artem and Alexander
Artem and Ilia
Artem and Maxim
So excited for you guys!!! Can't wait to hear all about him! Love y'all!
Praying for you!
So glad to hear your good news when I read your new post.
May you be able to quickly return to bring him home!
heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com
Congrats on your new son!!!!!! Praying for a quick court date!!!
Nicole
Congratulations. We have been checking in on you and praying that you were able to make a decision. I'm so glad that you have peace about your decision and that you have been matched with the perfect little guy! We cannot wait to hear more about him and of course, see pictures!
Congrats on your new SON! Hope today's visit goes swimmingly!
I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you guys. I am so glad to read that you have a new little man waiting for your return.
Joy
Dmitri!! Always loved that name!
I know your agony! Our 1st referal was only 10 months old (from our adoption journey 1.1 as I call it since it ended without a child) and while her medical looked great, she clearly has palsey. Our Dr. confirmed this (saying it was quite severe) and we were told that they won't flag a child's medical with something like that until they are 2 and they are most confident in the diagnosis. She had no startle reflex and would not make eye contact. You made the best decision for your family, rest in that! And pray that God will bring about parents that can raise him to thrive.
I'm so excited for you all. I can't wait to meet the little guy. My vote is for Adler. :)
Congratulations Randy, Susan, and Artem! I'm so excited for you all. I hope you got to celebrate at our little hangout-TGI Fridays in Moscow! I look forward to hearing you new little one's name! I hope you are able to return quickly for court and to bring him home!
So glad your trip ended on a high note! I'm certain the decision was hard but I'm also certain that you have to follow your hearts. I hope your guilt ebbs quickly as your excitement and joy flow!
Post a Comment