I am a Type-A, follow the rules, list making, black and white, lines are my friend, kind of girl and packing for a big trip makes my heart happy; especially when that trip involves an orphan. I've had my list made for about a week now. It's inside my "Russia Notebook" that I used throughout Artem's adoption. It has everything from my home study to-do list, to the directions to the apostille office, to the notes I was furiously scribbling when we were meeting with the orphanage director at Artem's baby home. And now that we are on round two, I put a sticky note on the edge of the page with "Second Adoption" sticking out the side as to make sure I don't venture into the "First Adoption" pages. Very catchy, I know, it took me weeks to come up with that label.
Today the big packing began and my trusty list was there on the bed helping me along. Each time I put something in the suitcase I crossed it off the list. If it wasn't in the suitcase, it wasn't marked off the list; nothing gets by without being crossed off. But to my defense, when you are packing to meet a child that you know absolutely nothing about in a country that does not share the same language or voltage as the United States, you have to be prepared, and being prepared means you have a lot of stuff. I'm lucky I am allowed 70 pounds per bag.
But for as good of a list maker as I am, I'm not the greatest packer. I can get it all in there and meet my weight limit, but it's not pretty and by the time it arrives to our destination, it's nothing short of a miracle that the contents are a) all in one piece, and b) still inside the suitcase. Now Randy on the other hand, he's the MacGyver of packing. You could give that man 3 pairs of jeans, 2 shirts, and a package of toothpicks and he'd figure out how to make it all fit into a gallon sized Ziplock bag. He's good, real good. And right about now, I could use my MacGyver because my list isn't all the way crossed off and I only have a few inches of space left and I refuse to bring less than five pairs of shoes thank.you.very.much, so those aren't going anywhere.
I'll get it all to fit, somehow, and by 10:00 a.m. tomorrow morning I will be on my way to the airport so I won't have a choice. The zipper will have to zip because there is nothing more embarrassing than claiming luggage off the carousel with duct tape around it; and yes we have had to do that but I refuse for it to be on my watch!
I'm bringing my laptop and will be blogging throughout the week, internet accessibility willing, and hope to have some good news on Monday evening.
Until then,
Do svidanya!
(Good bye)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
I've never seen duck tape on luggage and now I'm looking forward to the day I'm so lucky to see such a sight!!!
Your "Russia notebook" sounds absolutely adorable. Someday, you can share it with your kids. It'll be so sentimental to look back at this notebook in time.
Have a great trip! I can't wait to read your posts from Moscow.
Katie
Aww yes... Your lists & packing skills. I can attest to your packing habits - and I'm sure dad will too!! Brings back many a memories of you going to Summer Camp for ONE week and having 3+ suitcases, bags, etc. I'm sure you will find a way to fit everything into those last few inches... pretend it's a game of Tetris! Happy packing & safe travels...
Have a great trip!
Safe travels!
You should have called me! I'm the MASTER PACKER! I traveled in Australia for 10 days with only a rolling carry on! :)
I hope you get it all in and it zips!
Good luck! So glad that you are blogging on the trip because I am waiting on pins and needles for Monday. Loved reading about your travels to Artem - hope this one turns out just as great!
Susan from TX (and old Storknet friend)
Have a safe and smooth trip! Looking forward to your updates!
Oh my goodness- Five pair of shoes! You'll be stylin' for sure in Moscow! Hope you get it packed up. Excited that you are traveling!
Safe travels, Susan. Looking forward to your updates and hope all goes smoothly in Moscow!
Are you using the compression packing bags? We used those on our second trip and they were wonderful for getting everything compressed down to fit in the suitcase but you have to be careful you don't go over the weight limit since you can fit so much stuff in there.
Have a safe trip and we look forward to reading the posts from Moscow. Tell Pasha, Svetlana and Irena hello for us!
Ditto what Dede said about the compression bags! For the life of me, I couldn't remember what those were called when she was posting her comment earlier this morning. Then once I got to work, it hit me... Space Bags. We used a mix of those and several of a more generic brand we snagged at Target and they were fantastic! They really do help you keep your clothes less wrinkly and make packing much easier too.
We're re-living our Russian experiences vicariously thru you, so we're eager to see your blog posts from along the way. I'm not sure I'd say our time in Moscow was exactly 'enjoyable,' but still, I get sharp nostalgic pangs each time I read about another couple going back. And it's even moreso knowing that you'll be rubbing elbows with all of our CSS pals!
Safe travels!
Ah yes, another list-girl!!! Yea!! I, too, love a good list.
Can't wait to hear about the trip!!!
You sound just like me with the lists. I also love a good calendar. There is just something so satisfying about writing all the stuff I have to do in those little squares, then crossing them off when complete.
Good luck with packing and Happy Travels!!
I can't wait to hear the news! Happy travels to you and your MacGyver and also to little Artem as he spends time with his grandparents! Good luck getting your suitcase to close.......
Good luck Susan, we are anxiously waiting to hear how things work out next week. I can second the space bags, they are awesome. When we traveled for trip 3 we used 1 suitcase for all of us, largely b/c of those bags. Good luck and happy travels. Carol
Good luck Susan! I am sending prayers up for you and your family. Looking forward to following your journey.
Don't mind me! Just blog stalking and hoping/praying things went great @ MOE today!
Hugs,
Karyn, Norm & Ilya
Prayers for you that things went wonderfully at the MOE today.
Tara S.
Post a Comment