Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Maybe September?

I had a good heart to heart talk with our agency on Monday. Our social worker brought me up to speed on how things are moving in our region. Things are much slower than when we adopted Artem and sometimes that's hard to accept but we know that everything happens for a reason. It doesn't look like we'll be getting travel dates anytime soon and most likely it could be into September before we travel on our first trip. Sigh.

The Russian fostering program has significantly slowed things down in our region and referrals right now are hard to come by, so for now, we wait.

I also contacted our local social worker to see how the domestic adoptions in our area were moving and she let me know that things were still moving slowly but she encouraged us to put together a profile for birth mothers to look at but cautioned me that birth mothers typically pick families that do not have children already so it could be several months before a birth mother would pick us. So again, we would wait.

Sometimes it's frustrating being at the mercy of other people when it comes to adding to our family. It's hard to accept that with all the children out there that need a family we wait and wait and wait. I know it's the way it has to be for us, but sometimes it can get a little hard to take. We just have to keep in mind that it took us 7 years to meet Artem, and while I hope it doesn't take another 7 years to meet our next child, I know it will all work out.

But at least for now, I don't have to stress every Friday waiting for our phone to ring with a call from our agency letting us know we have travel dates.

10 comments:

Tiger & Kar said...

Ugh! I know the wait is going to be difficult but like you said, there must be a reason. I'm not sure if you can answer this, but are you returning to Moscow or trying a different region? Either way, we'll pray the process picks up some speed. In the meantime, I am so looking forward to meeting you next week!!

Hugs,
Karyn

Mark and Sinziana said...

Susan,
I know what you are feeling, because last year we had to wait 8 months to receive our daughter's referral. The funny thing is that two days before we received our referral Carol had just told me that they had no idea when the next Kaluga referral would happen and just to relax for a little while!

So now you don't have to stress every Friday hoping for a phone call from Carol, but also happy surprises happen all the time!

Sinziana

Rob said...

Having jumped out the the CHI boat too, you that the wait can be significant. I don't recall how long you were with CHI before making the switch, but it was 2 solid years for us. We got lucky with how uncharacteristically rapidly things moved along once we got on-board with CSS.

Hang in there - it'll happen!

Tracey and Chuck said...

Hang in there....hoping for a call for you all soon!!! Have you guys made it to AL yet?

Jane and Jim said...

You never really know do you? Keep that in mind - something may come up when you least expect it.
Just try not to think about it too much. I know, it's hard!

Jodi said...

That's not the kind of news I was hoping for! :*( I know that it's sooo hard to wait! Hopefully the summer will fly by for you and it will be September soon!

Ursula said...

Hi, I just stumbled onto your blog. I was feeling a bit down in the dumps, but your words give me hope. Hang in there the waiting is the hardest part of this adventure. I am a fan!!

Anonymous said...

I know the wait can be difficult, but God has a reason for this slight delay. Your beautiful child(or children) will come at the right time. That phone call may be just around the corner. I will be in prayer for you and for a speedy referral phone call. Keep the faith Susan. As you know the journey has mighty and great rewards in the end :) Prayers for you!!!

Tara Smathers

Heather Brandt said...

I didn't realize that you were simultaneously pursuing the possibility of domestic adoption and Russian adoption. We are still waiting for our homestudy which has taken way longer than our Russian adoption. I guess we learn that every adoption journey is different. Praying you will be led to your son soon!

Heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com
www.brandtadoption.wordpress.com

Amy, Jeff, LM, SC, & Ashton said...

Hi there! just popping in to catch up -- and understand completely completely where you are at -- we too heard from domestic agencies while checking otu that route for #2 that it is unlikely/less likely a BM will chose a family who already has a child... guess they want to feel that their child will be "extra special" as someone's first -- when we all know that no matter first, middle, last ALL our children will be incredibly special... hang in there -- spend all the time you can with that adorable son of yours -- perhaps somehow this time is helping him get ready for a little someone in his life to share you with, as well? the adoption gods work in strange but "how it's supposed to be" ways. if only we had a crystal ball to understand it all.
Amy