Monday, March 22, 2010

Open For Input

I am looking for input from people about other countries to adopt from. I am having some second thoughts about going back to Russia and I'd love to hear from other people about different countries that are International Adoption friendly.

Care to share your story with me?

8 comments:

Jaclyn said...

Hi Susan!

Have you looked at China Special Needs? I KNOW the special needs part sounds soo soooo scary. But actually it is not really. China considers very minor things as a special need. The needs range from very minor to more severe, but in this program YOU get to choose what needs you think you can handle.

We went through an AMAZING agency who works tirelessly for their families and the children of China. If you look into the program you will probably see that there is a long wait for referral with most China agencies but I am certain that if you choose the right agency you will not wait long. Most agencies with a long wait are huge agencies who have had a lot of families switch from the non special needs to special needs program.

If you'd like more info, email me at jaclyn.mcelhaney @ gmail com

Oh some GREAT resources for more info on the SN program are..

http://www.nohandsbutours.com/ (clink on family stories)

http://www.chinaadopttalk.com

and you can also go to my blog which I sent you before and click on any of my links on the side to other families blogs or Project Chosen to read many stories.

Good LUCK with your decision :)

Nicole said...

Susan,
I have to second the China special needs program! They have the most beautiful children waiting for families. I thought I had read that you guy's were thinking another boy . Well, I have seen some of the most beautiful boys waiting for families!
We were really on the fence about going back to Russia or going to China. My heart is really drawn to Russia after adopting Ava. But my heart has always been drawn to China too! Now we have the most precious little girl waiting on us in China!
Let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to share info on agencies ,the program and anything else you might want to know!
Nicole
nmsettle@yahoo.com

Becky and Keith said...

Heya! Email me! I'm in the process of researching China SN and am really impressed with the program. I can give you some of the resources I've been using as well as some of the reasons we're thinking about heading that way. I'd love to hear your thoughts about not heading to Russia again - we've been debating back and forth!

Carla S said...

One of my friends from college actually has gone to Guatemala twice for adoptions. If you are interested in her story, here is her blog.

http://guat-mama.blogspot.com/

I'm sure Ashley would gladly answer any questions that you have. :)

Heather Brandt said...

We decided to try the U.S. It is so different for me but that is where God is leading us. We are requesting a little girl (and are open to a sibling of either gender) age 0-2. I have heard good things about adopting from China special needs and I know many have adopted from Ethiopia. Not much else going on in the international scene lately. We considered Nepal but it has not been going well there lately so we are glad to have not signed up for that program.

heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

Carey and Norman said...

Hi Susan. As you know, we went to China for our second adoption (third child). We just loved China and the special needs program. We used WACAP (wacap.org) as they have a wonderful waiting child program (Family Finders). They are wonderful in letting you review waiting children's files. Most agencies want to match you with your needs. WACAP allows you to make a list of your needs you'll consider, but they will also let you review files for children who might not meet the needs you initially selected. We loved the trip to China and would go back again tomorrow!!

We also considered Korea (CHSFS). They have a wonderful waiting child program too. Their needs seem to be more neurological or heart related, but they also have some children with minor special needs.

My heart is still in China, so we would definitely go back there again (possibly #4?).

Blessings,

Carey

Check out http://newdayfosterhome.blogspot.com/

Jane and Jim said...

Hey - I don't have any input but I just wanted to say how excited I am for you guys!!!
He or she will be so lucky to have you guys as parents - where ever they're from!
I can't wait to see where this road will lead...

Anonymous said...

I live in Moscow (expat) and found your blog from a link on a friend of friend's blog. Please do not give up on Russia. All of us who volunteer at a local orphanage and hospital are so afraid American parents are going to give up on Russia due to the recent circumstances.

Just a thought. Not matter what is your final decision, the child will be lucky to be loved.