Tuesday, February 16, 2010

FINALLY!

We have a home study...FINALLY!

Last week I threw in the towel with the adoption process. I had put call #6,749 into our home study agency's office trying to find out when we would have our completed home study report and was informed that our social worker was at a doctor's appointment. The secretary told me she would call me back as soon as she found out if our social worker would be in the office that day. On Friday's they only work until noon and I called at 10:00 a.m. I knew I had a better chance of being abducted by aliens than getting a return phone call so I hung up the phone and let out a long, exasperated scream/yell/grunt and shouted as loud as I could, "I'm done, I'm out, I'm finished!!" I scared the bejeebers out of Artem but the event was therapeutic for me.

That afternoon I told Randy I was done, I was tagging out, they beat me down and I was content with only having one child. Period. The end. Thank you very much. We drove to San Angelo that evening to meet David, Kami, and Jack for dinner and when Kami asked how the home study was going I told her I was done, and I meant it.

I handle 99.9% of the adoption paperwork but this past weekend Randy told me he was going to the home study agency's office and demand our report. I was already planning our life with an only child, but he wasn't ready to give up just yet.

This morning he went to the office, it got a little heated in the beginning, and they asked him to return later since the whole office was participating in safety training. Randy wasn't taking no for an answer, he kicked over a trash can, turned a desk on it's side, and ripped a phone out of the wall. Okay I might have made that part up, but it did get a little heated and he did tell them he wasn't leaving without the report. A few minutes later I got a call on my cell phone to meet me in the Home Depot parking lot so he could pass the report on to me, I was shopping for paint at the time.

He got the report! That's right...you don't mess with my man...take no prisoners...Ninja moves...booty kicking...ahem...so we have the report!

Our dossier needs one more piece of paper, and would you believe me if I told you that I asked our agency for that piece of paper back in October? Of course you would. They said they are still waiting for that paper. Uh-huh, that's code for, "We have filed your request in our round file." A fellow adoptive parent from our international agency gave me some contact information for the state agency that handles this paperwork and I'm trying to bypass the home study agency and get that piece of paper directly from the state.

But at this point, our dossier should be on it's way to Russia with another family from our international agency in less than two weeks. And then the wait for a referral and travel dates begins.

I have a little Artem funny for you. My sister was talking to Artem this weekend about getting a baby brother, to which he reminded her again that he's getting two (holds two fingers up) baby brothers. She asked him where he was getting his baby brother's from (she was thinking he would say Russia) and he matter of factly told her, "From the 'doption agency".

13 comments:

Carrie said...

Sweet Artem story!! And I am so glad you got your home study!! Go Randy!!

Kim and Lance said...

Is Randy appearing in the next "Pilots Gone Wild" video? Go, baby, go! Keeping my fingers crossed that you find your alternate path to the elusive piece of paper.

Yeah, you laugh at Artem and his "two brothers" now, just wait til you get to Russia and they lay the same line on you guys that they did on us... "So you are open to sibling group, yes?". We're still in shock.

Take care and huge congratulations on getting your home study!

Randy, Denise, Camden and Dasha Denson said...

Hi, my name is Denise, glad to hear that you finally got your homestudy report. We are getting ready for our home visit, I hope that our process is not that frustrating, but I am preparing myself for everything.

Carla S said...

Yay Randy! (Why do these people have to be so infuriating? I feel your pain!)

Mark and Sinziana said...

Yeah, one step closer to get you to meet your child! But bumps happen when you don't expected - see us, the homestudy and other docs were a breeze, and then getting to Russia felt almost impossible sometimes! Artem will get his brother (or brothers?!) when is the right time!

Chris said...

Great news! Glad you were able to get the home study. Artem needs a sibling!

Robyn said...

YAY!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Jodi said...

FINALLY!! YAY Randy!! Mark had to get involved in Lydia's adoption toward the end, too, and he, too, got to be the hero because he was way more forceful than I was and got it done. ;) So excited for you! Now we wait...and I'm still holding out for a little brother AND a little sister for Artem! ;)

Doug and Shelly said...

Yeah!! I've been following your blog--love it!. We're waiting on our home study report. Congratulations on finally getting yours. Shelly

Doug and Shelly said...

Yeah!! I've been following your blog--love it!. We're waiting on our home study report. Congratulations on finally getting yours. Shelly

Rebecca said...

Yay!

Tiger & Kar said...

Well that was certainly painful enough! Sheesh!

So glad to hear this is finally moving forward for you!!

Joe and Renae said...

Yeeeeaaaah! I'm SO happy for you guys! YOU GO RANDY! YOUR THE MAN!
I hope and pray you get your referral quickly. I'll be following in your journey!!!

Renae