In other news, we put our Christmas tree up this weekend. Actually, I put up four trees; our 9 foot formal tree in the living room, our 6 foot family tree in the family room, and two small trees, one is Randy's tree and its all aviator themed ornaments and the other is my tree which is all teacher ornaments complete with yellow ruler garland. I completely understand that this compulsive disorder will have to be put on hold once a baby/toddler enters our home, but for now let me obsess! :-) Here is a picture of our themed trees.
Anyway back to the story, we got our formal tree up and it only gets very specific, color-coordinated, red or gold only, ornaments on it. (Randy loves that about me, ha ha) Years ago Randy's brother worked for Disney in Orlando and bought us three of the cutest Mickey head ornaments. They are just the 3-D shape of the head, all smooth glass, no facial details, kind of an abstract Mickey, and he had both our names put on two of them. The third ornament he left blank for our future child. We've never hung it before but this weekend I finally took it out of the box and told Randy, "This one is for the baby, we don't know them yet, but they already have a place in our hearts and a spot on the tree. This is for you baby Steen." It felt so good to do that! Next year will be even better when there will be a name on that ornament!!
9 comments:
As usual, your trees are beautiful. And I don't think that a toddler would necessarily warrant not putting your themed trees up! It's just a matter of putting some less breakable ornaments in his reach...and then teaching him that ornaments are to look at & touch with one finger, not to grab. I dunno, it's worked for us (so far!)
Funny - great minds think alike. We hung a stocking for Baby C recently saying nearly the same thing you mentioned in your blog...we may not know our child yet but they ARE our child and we're celebrating Christmas with them this year. It just means extra for them to open in 2008!
I love the ruler garland. I've never seen anything like it.
I'm glad you were able to add an ornament for the baby.
Praying that they get your home study to you on Friday so you can be done with that.
Having a toddler means you absolutely must put up all your Christmas decorations. We did like Melissa, taught her she could look but not touch. It worked for as well. And I want to see pics of the other two trees :-)
~Katie
Love all the trees -
And I LOVE your positive attitude about waiting - it really is out of our hands so why not make the most of what we have now.
It's very sweet of you to put up an ornament for the baby - he/she is out there somewhere...
What beautiful trees! Another person ahead of me in the tree world - sigh! I don't even have one up yet!! I think it's great that you put you future child's ornament on the tree!
Susan,
I think it is perfectly normal to have that many trees. I have one for my bedroom too. I love to wake up to it on Christmas morning.
Joy
Love the trees Susan! We learned quickly to hang breakable ornaments higher than 3 feet :) We have an ornament for baby #2 and Luca also put tape (minus the wrappign paper?) all over a baby toy that he "wrapped" for his brother - too cute!
Oh, I'm so happy that you're doing so well in this process, and have such peace about the Mickey ornament.
Post a Comment