Friday, July 13, 2007

In the beginning

As many of you know, Randy and I have tried unsuccessfully for over 6 years to start a family. I've been poked, prodded, given pills, given shots, tried vitamins, given more vials of blood than the Red Cross would need in a disaster, elevated my tush, stood on my head, and, well you get the picture. We've tried a lot of things to get pregnant but it just never happened. The doctor's call it "unexplained infertility". Basically I'm a freak of science but that's not polite to put on one's medical records so they give it a little less offensive label.

Adoption was always in the back of our minds but we still didn't want to give up on having a child of our own. We couldn't understand why God wouldn't let us get pregnant. We are a college educated, home owning, gainfully employed, loving couple. Why can't we get pregnant?? We always figured God had other plans for us, but I had it in my mind that I was going to speak to Him about it one day and ask Him what the deal was. I started to wonder if something bad was in our future and God knew and didn't want me to get pregnant so one of us wouldn't be left as a single parent. I know, very dark, but the mind can really do a number on you when you are trying to sort out the meaning of life. Luckily, I think I've got it figured out (insert chuckle) and I'm beginning to realize that God knows that somewhere over "there" a baby waits to be adopted and loved by a college educated, home owning, gainfully employed, loving couple....us!

So here we are preparing to submit our paperwork to be accepted by Children's Hope International (CHI) and pursue an adoption of a Russian boy or girl. They say it could take a year or more for it to happen, but the way we see it, its already been over 6 years so what is one more?! We realize its a long, expensive road that is ahead of us, but we are excited at the prospect of knowing that we could finally have a family. No longer a party of 2 at the restaurants but a party of 2 and a 1/2. :-) Someone to yell, "higher daddy" as Randy pushes them on the swings, someone to turn the pages of Green Eggs and Ham as I read them a bedtime story, someone to accept wet kisses from a big ol' chocolate lab, someone to make us a family.

3 comments:

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hi,

I'm so happy to hear you're taking the steps toward adopting your child. We also questioned what God had in store for us after losing 3 babies and wanting to have children so badly. I've wanted to adopt since childhood but never thought it would happen before having a biological child. Just like you, we have jobs, educations, a nice house, pets, family, and lots of love to give a child.... guess that's why God chose us to be parents of very special children from Russia :)

I'm happy to share our journey with you! It's definitely an adventure and one you'll cherish forever.

Best wishes!
Adrienne

Jane and Jim said...

Hi Susan-
I just read this first post and saw myself in you immediately! I also have (or had) unexplained infertility. Everything works properly on both of us so they didn't have an answer... Well, we decided to adopt in December and in January I found out I was pregnant. I miscarried at 6 weeks (not surprising considering I'm 43) but it was unbelievable. We had to put the adoption on hold for a month. Just an FYI in case it happens to you! Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan and Randy,
This is your 2nd cousin.
Your Mom shared your exciting news and gave me info about your blog. Today is the first opportunity I've had to read it. Back in the late 1960's we were foster-parents and had a wonderful experience of being the go-betweens' for an adoption process for a 4 yr. old girl. She was not our foster child, her older aunt, however, had been a couple of years prior (that's another story). We (usually my 4 yr. old daughter) and I would pick up the little girl at her home and take her to visit with the prospective adoptive parents. In the beginning it was just a very short visit in a public place and over a period of months the visits graduated to her spending the night with the adoptive parents. Low and behold when finally the day came that she was to move in with the adoptive parents, that day was post-poned for a few weeks. The adoptive parents gave birth to a baby supposedly not knowing they were pregnant! Of course we're talking about a process during the winter in north country (Minnesota) where we all wear big heavy coats and the mama to be was nicely rounded to begin with! But that little girl who at 4 years of age had difficulty speaking English clearly was adopted and had a new baby sister to boot. Patty