It's been a little while since I updated everyone on the adoption process. Right now we are literally at a stopping point. Our HS (home study) visit was November 17th and we had hoped to have our HS report before Christmas so I could send a copy to our international agency in North Carolina and a copy to USCIS for our 1-600A application. (explanations of those terms are on the bottom right of the blog) We paid the agency their fee for the HS visit and report within a week of the visit. All of our dossier paperwork is complete (minus the HS report and I-600A) and all items have been apostilled. I literally just need a copy of the report and our paperwork is ready to be sent to our international agency. But that is not to be right now.
I pushed back my departure to Abu Dhabi as long as I could in hopes of having the report and contacted our SW (social worker) that is writing the report but she told me she would not have it done before I left. I considered having a friend pick up the report for us and put it in the mail but that's a lot to ask of someone. I was really feeling the holiday stress with preparing for the trip overseas, getting Christmas shopping finished by the 18th in time for the trip, getting Bella to my sister in AZ to be doggy-sat while we are overseas, geographically single parenting Artem, and the pressure of getting the dossier mailed off before I left. Something had to give. In November and December I set money aside to pay for the dossier fees and I-600A fees and both times something unexpected came up that required me to use the money for other things. Between the money, the report not being finished in time, and trying to logistically complete the paperwork with Randy and I on two different continents, I knew God was trying to tell me something...slow down and let it go. So I did, and it felt like a two ton weight had been lifted from my shoulders.
Once I get back to the states at the very end of January, we will see if our report is finished. We are both fine with how things are unfolding. We are not letting this get to us and both Randy and I feel like it's all part of a bigger plan that we have no control over. It will all work out the way it is supposed to despite our best plans.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You're right - you have to push when it feels right to push and, well, not when it feels like you shouldn't. That's hard for me, I'll admit, but I've learned that there's a difference in being passive and accepting that there are things you cannot control. It's such a struggle to walk that fine line!
Sounds like you've been dealing with a lot of stress and frustration. You're right. There's a reason why you have to wait, but it's so hard. I know we struggled when we faced delays in our process. Hope things go much more smoothly and quickly for you in the new year!
Susan -
Thank you so much for the encouragement - Believe me, I cannot wait for this "wait" to be a distant memory! How exciting that you are moving to Huntsville -we absolutely love Hampton Cove! I look forward to following you blog for Baby #2!!
Tracey
Hi, Susan! We may wind up crossing paths in Russia -- looks like we are goint to St. Pete, maybe in Feb-Mar. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you from Houston. Take care, Lori
Hey Susan, if there is anything I can do here let me know!
Melissa
You KNOW I would have been more than happy to help!:) Your baby(ies) are out there and they will come home when they are supposed to. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!
You know what? You're exactly right! Anytime I've felt like I was just pushing and pushing to make something happen, it has never worked out like it should. A lesson? Perhaps.
When I recognize that the need to control is more about fear, it's easier to let go and let events unfold as they should. It really is about letting go and letting God do His thing.
Congratulations on being able to step back and let it happen. Now the next time someone sees me spiraling off into a controlling frenzy... could you quote this back at me? ;o)
I will do anyh
thing you need to get the dossier finished. I have nothing else going on, This is David and Paula Cooper. Artem is my way of living surrepticiouslu with out the responsability of having another child.
Susan,
I just now read this because I don't have this blog on my blog roll (just life on the little screen) and I linked over here from Mark and Sinziana.
Anyway, I think you were SO wise to just punt it for a while. The thing is, when I was working with families, so many people would go over the edge trying to push push push but no amount of "control" can get you there any faster because God really does have a very specific child in mind for you and your stuff is being timed perfectly to match with that child. I look at Meg and now that those 12 weeks that went by when we didn't get registered in St. Pete were very specifically designated waiting time. Had we been registered when we were supposed to be (and had the other CSS fam not turned her down) we would have had the next referral, who we met when we were visiting Meg. She was a precious child, but not our daughter. Hang in there. This is so hard, but you're a pro!
Post a Comment